David Raksin 1912-2004

Morlock

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has truly been a sad few months for film music lovers. Jerry Goldsmith, Fred Karlin, Michael Kamen and now David Raksin. Perhaps the saddest part of all this is that these names mean nothing to all but us few.

:devil: :cry: Laura

BTW Morlock, I think and pray that Herman Stein and Irving Gertz are still going strong. Although they worked at Universal on movies with tiny budgets (but probably some with giant budgies!), I think they were as inventive as the big guys such as Steiner, Newman and Waxman who had more resources to work with.

I didn't know Raskin's work very well, but he will be missed. Can you imagine having known Gershwin and Stravinsky personally, like he did? I'll say it again, we film score fans are all fortunate to be living in this era, when the great pioneers are/were still alive...

I'm afraid I've never seen any of the movies he's scored (either they never show them on TV, or I keep missing them), nor heard any of his scores. However, I'm sure I have his Laura theme somewhere, I'll dig that out.

Marian - :devil:

I'm afraid I've never seen any of the movies he's scored (either they never show them on TV, or I keep missing them), nor heard any of his scores.

Same with me....however, I´m really shocked by the sad news i´ve had to hear in the past months

I've never heard any of his, but it really seems like a sad year for film music. Michael Kamen and Jerry Goldsmith were particularly tough losses (for me at least, since I love their work). But that does not mean in any way that this loss is any less.

Rest In Peace.

- Marc

Again some very sad news... I loved his music for Laura....

John Williams loved the composer's music also, he told that in a live concert in Tanglewoods with the pops in 1999 where he played the love theme...

A golden era has truly gone, with him, Kamen and Goldsmith. :cry:

Philippe BL

OMG, WOW, Now I am floored. Raksin was an incredible composer and a fantastic teacher. His scores are incredibly written and beautifully orchestrated. He used to bring his scores for us to see in class.

Rest in Peace!

And to think that not too long ago, I had commented about his longevity shortly after Goldsmith's passing. I have all but one of his albums (the RCA compilation he conducted) and think the music he did was great. There should be more of his albums out, but alas, it seems like he will "only" be known for Laura (a score Herrmann was especially envious of).

He wrote aot. He started with Charlie Chaplin, although it says Charlie Chaplin on the music of his films....

But I've read interviews with Raksin about him talking about his work with Chaplin, you see Chaplin knew nothing about music at all, but he was good at coming up with melodies.