Olympic Thread

King Mark

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ what?

I doubt there'll be any Williams involvement (it's Greece this time, after all), but has there been any word on an official orchestral olympic work yet?

Marian - who just listened to Summon the Heroes.

Do you think that DJ Tiesto has made some remixes of Williams´ Olympics music?

To be honest I hope so, because that would be really cool, to hear Williams in the mix.

On the Dutch news DJ Tiesto already aanounced that classical music will be in his 2 hour mix. Also he will perform a few of his hits, including a remix of Barbers Adagio for Strings, just when the Ducth equipe enters the Olympic Stadium.

PetePan

DJ what?

DJ Tiesto (Dutchman Thijs Verwest) was voted as the best DJ in the world, this year and last year. With his appearance at the Olypmics he hopes to breakthrough in the rest of the world.

I really liked that little promotional mp3 that was circulating a couple months back, the one that was a new take on the 1984 Olympic Fanfare. If anyone feels like removing Bob Costas' voice from it, I would be quite grateful! :thumbup:

You would like him, he's very minimalistic in his style.

Minimalism is about quality, not quantity.

I've got the Olympics running in the background, and if that's the best music the Netherlands have to offer at the moment, I pity you. :thumbup:

Marian - not amused.

All you guys in time zones the same or close to Athens are lucky. Thanks to NBC's insistence that it must be in "prime time" it won't even be shown over here for another 3 or 4 hours. But unless one of you guys say that there's new Williams music (highly unlikely) I probably won't even bother watching.

All you guys in time zones the same or close to Athens are lucky. Thanks to NBC's insistence that it must be in "prime time" it won't even be shown over here for another 3 or 4 hours. But unless one of you guys say that there's new Williams music (highly unlikely) I probably won't even bother watching.

Well, we were lucky in 1984, 1996, and 2002.... we can't have all the luck. :thumbup:

Oh, I have no problem with the Games being on the other side of the pond. Far from it. I just wish that the TV networks here would be willing to show some stuff live even if it is a weekday afternoon here. :thumbup:

You guys won't watch it unless there is new Williams music?????? That is so wrong. Who cares about that right now!!!! These are the Olympic games guys. I'm gonna be glued to the TV to watch the worlds best athletes compete, to watch years of training and hard work. Man this is so important to me. And this year with the truce and all these Nations coming together no matter what else is happening out there just to compete? With Afghanistan sending in women for the first time? And tons of others... WOW, this is huge. Let the games begin!!!!!

Oh and I love DJ whatzits.. I'm like half sitting down bouncing away and half dancing ROTFLMAO

Oh, and I LOVED the whole thing they did at the begining with them going through Grecian History. The cradle of civilization right there!!!!

Cowboys play tonite.

I watched some of the opening ceremonies to see what kind of reception the USA would receive.

I thought Afghanistan and Iraq received a very warm welcome.

Of course Greece got the biggest reception, as did Cyprus, and then I think Afghanistan and Iraq. America, Australia, Palestine, Lebanon and Turkey (the latter three being Greece's Oldest neigbours) got very big receptions too. It was interesting the Turkey did as they are HUGE rivals in other areas not allowed to be talked about here especially over Cyprus, but of course it is Europe and at least there they do distinguish between games and other things so it was great to see.

The one thing that I laughed about was yet again Bjorks dress. She of course had to outdo her swan dress by wearing something that had a train in front of it that went and covered the whole of the thousands of competitors with the map of the world on it. The comentator was saying that he hopes no one pulls on it because she'll go flying head first into the athletes! lol

Cowboys play tonite.

I know what I'm watching then. ROTFLMAO

In response to the other posts, I too love wathing the competitions, at least the ones I care about. In the summer that's pretty much swimming and track & field, I like the winter games much more.

But I can't sit through those opening ceremonies. I like to see the parade of nations and the torch lighting, but unless there's going to be new Williams music the rest is boring beyond words. ;)

I was watching the Braves last night instead, a rare game actually on TBS. :P

A question for our members outside the US:

Do the channels that cover the Olympics in your countries use Williams' music as much as NBC does here? As ?Man pointed out, here they nearly always use either one of JW's pieces or the Bugler's Dream as pre and post commercial music.

No Williams music used here either. I watched the replay of the Opening Ceremony yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic. That whole "cultural presentation" was just amazing especially what they did with that floating, disassembling statue!!! ;)ROTFLMAO

Whatever happened to those rumours of Vangelis composing an original piece for these Games? Because I sure as hell didn't hear anything like that... And I'm not entirely sure why DJ T used excerpts from "Adagio for Strings." That one's actually a bit of a downer, don't you know?

CYPHER - looking for his first glimpse of a medal tally...

I told my friends that John Williams is the official Olympics composer for NBC. I'm surprised none of the American people here mentioned that the opening feature before the opening ceremonies featured the voice of James Earl Jones, while the main theme from JURASSIC PARK was playing underneath! Extraordinary!!! I got goosebumps.

I too wondered if Greece's best composer, Vangelis, was going to appear and conduct a new Olympics theme. Apparently not. Of course it would have been just him at the keyboard!!

Anyway, here's a question I've always wanted answered:

Does John Williams get royalties when NBC plays his Olympic themes? In the course of three days I've heard so many permutations of his theme from 1984 as well as "Summon the Heroes." Or are the themes the property of NBC/International Olympic Committee, and therefore Williams has no ownership anymore?

Does anyone know? If he ets any money, I bet it's a fortune! I mean, his music is played every day for 17 dgays!!!!!

Jeff -- whose eyes have turned into dollar signs, and is about to watch the rest of the swimming coverage today

I'm once again struck by how boring the Olympics really are I find the news covering the security infinately more interesting than the games themselves. Even the interesting ones get boring after 5 minutes, I enjoy listening to them on the BBC so much more.

The Olympics are not boring! Think about how much training and discipline these people have gone through to get there. Being an athlete at that level requires much more than just physical ability.

The Olympics are not boring! Think about how much training and discipline these people have gone through to get there. Being an athlete at that level requires much more than just physical ability.

None of that makes it entertaining.

Neil

Typical American attitude.

It's because a lot of Olympic sports don't score points every 3 minutes, making it hard for them to keep focusing on what is going on.

Let's face it, American Football is the Michael Bay of sports.

It's because a lot of Olympic sports don't score points every 3 minutes, making it hard for them to keep focusing on what is going on.

Yeah, that must be it. :roll:

Neil - who has watched plenty of low scoring football (American) and baseball games

Yeah, that must be it. :roll:

Neil - who has watched plenty of low scoring football (American) and baseball games

I'll second that :roll: . Not everyone here has been MTV-ized. In fact some of us quite hate it.

John- who's also watched many low scoring football games, almost worships baseball, and also loves NASCAR and golf. Quite a range there. ;)

I don't really care for watching sports, though it can be entertaining depending on the situation. As far as the Olympics go, I enjoy watching them here and there for a couple minutes, then I get bored.

I seem to hear pre/post commercial music i haven't heard before.  

Me too. I heard a short little arrangement of a secondary theme from Summon the Heroes, as well as a brief, differently orchestrated rendition of Olympic Fanfare and Theme. Are these new or have there always been different variations?

Ray Barnsbury

I actually agree with Stefan. It is the Michael Bay of sports!!!!! LOL

I love the Olympics. I'm glued to the TV every day right now. As for football????? Shoot me before I have to watch a game, PLEASE!!!!!!!

How can you not appreciate the power of the men and women in gymnastics, the amzing speed of the swimmers. It's amazing. Football doesn't even come close, it's kind of crap actually.

Yes, they do. We wouldn't be caught dead with the likes of them. Now go save the whales, you bleeding hearts, just get out of our country club.

Morlock- who is a fan of sports and sporting events, but thinks the Olympics suck the fun out of it

Yes there's nothing like Diving, Trampoline jumping, Gymnastics and Synchronized Swimming to get the old blood pumping. WOOHOO!!!!!

How surprising... Central Texas..... Go Figure!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all Gymnastics is absolutely incredible. The strength on those Athletes is astounding. Besides, those aren't the only events in the Olympics. There are sports like football (you call it soccer) and basketball and, oh wait, I just figured it out.. You guys are pissed that American Football isn't in the olympics, oh and that's it.. Your NBA basketball men just got creamed yesterday!!! Now it all makes sense LOL

First, not enough countries around the world play football to make it an Olympic sport, I think we all recognize that. Second I, for one, hate basketball and couldn't care less what those NBA primadonnas do, although I do have a sense of national pride wanting them to suceed just because it's the US in an international competition. But I recognize the athleticism required to play basketball, it's a very demanding sport. Just because something requires talent to do doesn't mean it's interesting to watch.

John- coming to the defense of his fellow Texan. ;)

Yes I'm just a slacked jawed yokel from Central Texas who don't know any better...... :roll:

The only events that really interest me are the track and field ones. I'd rather have my testicles nailed to the wall than sit thru a soccer match and I could have told you back in June when the USA Basketball team was announced that they were in trouble because outside of Tim Duncan the team was selected wrong. No one can shoot the ball.