Olympic Thread

King Mark

I´m still a little confused about the disqualification of Aaron Peirsol...wtf was going on there?

Have they figured it out yet?

Marian - who doesn't think Rogan would be happy about Gold anyway.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They figured that DQ thing out not too long after it happened...they replayed his turns and they was not a thing wrong with them, nothing illegal. Rogan was actually standing right with Peirsol saying "dude, we're gonna protest". They're obviously close friends. :-)

The judge didn't even write anything on the DQ report !, and his story changed when asked to clarify...see here... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5769905/ Sounds fishy. (ha! bad pun) Peirsol is one of my favorite swimmers, a natural talent (and easy on the eyes too, ahem) :baaa:

The swimmers are a fun bunch...how about Gary Hall Jr.- boy he thinks he is something. Amanda Beard with her teddy bear is darling :-). And Aus. was so strong, wow (any Aussies here?). Thorpe is something else...he started his own underwear collection even! http://ianthorpe.aol7.com.au/news.php?pageID=19 ;)

Anyway...I'm also interested in the links...maybe there could be a Briefcase?

It isn't as if the files are rips from CDs.  Anyone who wants a copy can just record it off-air like I did.  This just makes it easier for the experts in the forum to provide the correct titles, since I'm definately not an expert.

:

Yes,Neil,what's wrong with this.I fail to see where copyright rules apply here,

K.M.

Yes,but isn't there a rule about "fair use" of copywrited material for demonstration or study.If it was so strict then websites wouldn't be allowed to post a picture from a movie,or a book cover,or a short preview clip.What we are talking about is the audio of an incomplete recording aired on TV,not a rip from a c.d. track.

K.M.

I couldn't download it (something was wrong with my browser when the file was up), but it seemed it was more or less a complete (short) cue? I guess using the fair use argument could be difficult in that case.

Marian - who knows copyright isn't easy. :baaa:

Sorry I wasn't here to help you with your questions and concerns about the swimming competition. There was little else on my mind for those eight days.

(in case you didn't know, I'ma former world-ranked swimmer. Honest.)

Aaron Piersol's disqualification might have gone through if the judge had filled out the DQ card correctly and mentioned it to the referee in English. If it had stood, there would have been huge protests.

As for Markus Rogan, the silver medalist, he is a former swimmer at Stanford and Piersol is a former swimmer at Texas (where I swam). The schools are swimming rivals, but the two had been competing against each other for so long a friendship arose. If I were Rogan, I would have turned down the gold medal, too.

Thorpe is a strange character. He's probably the most gay straight man on the planet. Denying it repeatedly only raises more eyebrows. but I admire him as a swimmer.

And for those who hate Gary Hall ... he was fined $5,000 by USA Swimming for wearing the boxing robe and trunks. He was supposed to wear the official gear.

Jeff -- proud of the Longhorns

I couldn't download it (something was wrong with my browser when the file was up), but it seemed it was more or less a complete (short) cue? I guess using the fair use argument could be difficult in that case.

If you clicked on the link and it didn't ask you where to save it, it most definately tried to stream it and that isn't going to work with MP3 files from my site. While I have a DSL, the site is extremely busy, so the bandwidth is limited. The file MUST be saved to a file before attempting to play.

The best way to get things off the net is not via MicroCrap Windblows, but via Linux and the wget program. If there is an excellent program for Windblows that is like wget, then use it (I don't know if GetRight can get HTTP files, if so, try it).

I'm in Linux, and I didn't stream. It was just that since my last Debian (Sid) update, KGet seemed to be broken, and I didn't bother launching any other program...works fine again now.

Marian - who thinks MrVideo must not have noticed my Avatar. :music:

I'm in Linux, and I didn't stream. It was just that since my last Debian (Sid) update, KGet seemed to be broken, and I didn't bother launching any other program...works fine again now.

I use wget in an Xterm. Getting up on Fedora Core 2, using Gnome. But, because I use scripts to get several files, in order, I just use wget in the scripts.

I've been changing file names on the site, so all previous links that anyone has from here are now null and void. But, don't fear.

Marian - who thinks MrVideo must not have noticed my Avatar. :music:

Sorry, that I did. I have Opera set to a certain width, as I check out my web pages and want stuff to fit in a minimum width. The forum's wider width caused me to scroll to the right, so the avatars get scrolled off the page.

BTW, great choice using Linux. At least Opera asks to save MP3 files instead of trying to run them through a program (default setting which can be changed, but don't :-)

I have Opera set to a certain width, as I check out my web pages and want stuff to fit in a minimum width.  The forum's wider width caused me to scroll to the right, so the avatars get scrolled off the page.

My Konqueror window size is set up to have the exact width required by a JWFan thread. :music: Of course, I have to start scrolling once someone posts images that are too wide, etc.

BTW, great choice using Linux.  At least Opera asks to save MP3 files instead of trying to run them through a program (default setting which can be changed, but don't :-)

Konqueror usually asks. Not with MP3s I believe, but I usually right-click MP3 links anyway.

Marian - happy Linux user for more than one year and counting. :music:

Marian - happy Linux user for more than one year and counting. :music:

Been using Linux since before it was fashionable. Then again, I'm Unix born and bred :music:

Back on topic though. I've been only watching the NBC HD feed and not any other the other channels. I'm curious, are any of the music pieces being played without any voiceovers for any length of time? With the HD feed, the "Summon the Hereos" piece is either played with great views of Greece, or lately, snippets of various events.

I heard a slower paced version last night, but it was relatively short, so I didn't capture it.

I don't get HD and I've heard some lovely snippets of all the themes, but they're not very long - usually just a bar or two. I heard the actual beginning of the 1984 theme as it is on the "By Request" album, 4 bars, and it was amazing. I can't remember the last time I heard that as part of any Olympic coverage! We also get all the themes played with Greek vistas or event flashbacks.

MrVideo, I missed out on your link too. Sigh.

Anybody see the men's high bar yesterday? I've never seen any crowd react like that, anywhere! Some very interesting judging going on....

Can we please keep this on Topic. What on earth are you guys talking about? This is the Olympic thread, take all other topics elsewhere for crying out loud!!!!

The US synchronized swimming team used De Meij's LOTR Symphony (opening of the Gollum mvmt.), and Sorcerer's Apprentice for their routine. :-) It was amazing. They were so creative in how they interpreted the music. The other teams used not orchestral music.

Synch. swimming looks impossible. It's beyond me how they do it. It's required for them to actually push a girl out of the water and she does a flip! :)

I wish they would just leave Paul Hamm alone and let him be. He may be a freckled guy with a high voice, but he's made of steel to perform like he did after his vault fall, and then after all the controversy and amidst the crowd booing for ages. WOW. :shakehead:

Got 2 voice free new bumpers,I'll make MP3's of them later.

K.M.Apparently the only one in the world who cares about 10 second bits of new Williams music.

Hmmm,just tuned in the closing ceremonies 1 minute too late,and just at the opening before Costas talked I seem to have heard the last few bars of a Williams theme I never heard before,anyone caught this?

K.M.

Hmmm,just tuned in the closing ceremonies 1 minute too late,and just at the  opening before Costas talked I seem to have heard the last few bars of a Williams theme I never heard before,anyone caught this?

Don't know, as I watching other stuff and recording NBC HD. True to form, NBC HD will have the closing ceremonies delayed, by who knows how long.

I was wondering if you can scan your recordings for any new bit of Williams music,even if it's just "before commercial" music.Anything new is good for me.Sometimes new mini arrangements of Olympic Fanfare or Summon the Heroes pop up.

K.M.Who only has regular VHS,and cannot tape everything

I was wondering if you can scan your recordings for any new bit of Williams music,even if it's just "before commercial" music.Anything new is good for me.Sometimes new mini arrangements of Olympic Fanfare or Summon the Heroes pop up.

Turns out the closing cermonies doesn't start until 8 pm CDT.

I won't be able to scan anything until the next few days. Right after the VMAs are over, I have to pull the live performances and cut a CD of the material for a local morning radio show. I'm recording the VMAs from the direct digital backhaul from Miami to New York. As far as I know, the delay is being done in New York, so if something happens, I should get it on tape :-)

At the moment I have three recordings going at once.

That's one of the things that I really like about the Olympics: it's the one sporting event where you can be pretty sure you're not going to be bombarded with crappy music. ESPN has become MTV Sports, and other network's sports coverage isn't much better.

John- who get's a big thrill when a friend or family member comments on NBC Olympic music and he can say "That's John Williams!" :)

John 2- who fell out of his chair when SportsCenter used Duel of the Fates during their weekly music video-style highlight reel a few months ago. He's still in shock. 8O

It is offical, I was just watching the crdits from NBC, and they have given our hero offical credit for the beautiful music he has written.

The credit looked like this--

Olympic Music Composed and Conducted by:

John Williams

Wonderful Job John!

I'm watching the closing ceremonies... :)  8O  8O Maybe I should just stare at my hard drive defragmenting

At this point in time, NBC HD is showing the women's basketball game. NBC is going to be raked over the coals for the delay.

I'm watching the closing ceremonies... 8O  8O  8O Maybe I should just stare at my hard drive defragmenting

K.M.

LOL

I felt the same way about the opening. I'm not even bothering this time. Instead I'm enjoying watching Bonds steamrolling to 700 (even if he's hitting them off my favorite team 8O ), with Ruth and Aaron on the way. It's a great time to be a baseball nut. :)

It is offical, I was just watching the crdits from NBC, and they have given our hero offical credit for the beautiful music he has written.

The credit looked like this--

Olympic Music Composed and Conducted by:

John Williams

Wonderful Job John!

What I saw was more along the lines of:

Arranged and Recorded by John Williams.

I could definately tell that, though, just by watching. I knew it was all new recordings. The music that I do know with the same arrangements sounded new and fresh. The new arrangements of the music I knew sounded like Williams. The new music and non-John Williams music sounded as though arranged by John Williams. I really liked the theme for the coverage, when they announced what events all of the NBC affiliates would air and when. It's just the most powerful two weeks in sporting, and only once every four (two) years! I love the Olympics. I can always count on getting teary-eyed. Good stuff!

~Conor

Hi-

I'm new here and wondering about a certain theme that I heard for the first time during these Olympics...

It played every day at the end of the broadcast when they told us the events that would be on the next day. It also played a few bars during the night, when it said "Coming up...".

Is this the new "Return to Athens" theme?

Thanks,

Scott

NBC HD had a musical tribute to the Olympics. Do I have it on tape? Nope. The idiots at NBC put all of the programming on during the morning, while the viewers, me included, were at work. I only learned about it while watching what I did get on tape. There was a billboard listing upcoming stuff.

NBC is run by !@#$ing idiots.

NBC is run by !@#$ing idiots.

And this is news? ROTFLMAO

John- who still has nightmares about NBC's horrid-is-too-nice-a-word attempted remake of Coupling.

:P

Yup that was a big failure.