"Evilest" John Williams Moment?

Henry B

I'd have to go with the end of "Meeting Tom Riddle." Buy some high-quality speakers, crank the volume up, AND LET THE EVIL SOAK INTO YOU. ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the invasion sequence in Close Encounters, the aliens might be benevolent, but you sure didn't know it in these moments.

Not just the Temple of Doom cue, but also the cue where Mola Rom explains the plot (somebody's got to do it ;) ) and gives Indy the blood feast. ToD is easily Williams darkest score, even though it does have it's light and classic Indy moments.

The cue where the Emperor is killing Luke with Force lightning in RoJ is also monumentally evil. The chorus surge is incredible. I am also a big fan of The Tusken Camp from Ep. II, when it gets really dark as Anakin gets angry and takes out all the Sand People, and the ending of it when he brings Shmi's body back.

And I have a feeling that several bits from Ep. III will qualify as VERY dark. It might end up as Williams darkest score ever, topping ToD.

The Opening of the Ark in Raiders and He Choose Poorly from Last Crusade are also good evil/dark moments. And The Dementors Converge from PoA.

Already mentioned, I think the Emperor zapping Luke is probably Williams' evilest cue. As far as I know. I am unfortunately not quite familiar with ToD, though that Mola Ram Suka Ram choir is indeed quite nasty.

- Marc

I think a fairly evil moment is in HP:SS when they show Voldemort killing Harry's mother and the Voldemort theme is playing. Pretty evil, but no, it's not up to snuff with the other stuff mentioned... But still evil.

Not sure what it scores in the movie, but "The Shooting of Wilson" sounds pretty doggone evil. Vader talking to the Emperor in the middle of TESB is pretty evil-sounding. But what about TESB when Vader's trying to seduce Luke to join the Dark Side? This one just beats out all of the other ones. You know this to be true!

I'd say that "Empty Raft" and "Indianapolis Story" from Jaws come close, even though they're not evil (unless you consider Bruce to be evil, even though he's a pneumatic shark).

Actually, Jabba's theme sounds pretty evil in itself. Same goes for "March of the Villains" from Superman. Another evil cue from Superman would probably be "Misguided Missiles and Kryptonite", starting with the flute rendition of the crystal theme as Superman opens the lead trunk and ending with the villains' theme.

"March of the Villains" sounds like a fat man's theme. Fits Otis most appropriately.

"The Emperor's Throne Room" is what I consider Williams' most evil moment. Also, that creepy music in the original soundtrack of TPM on Track 14 "The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul" just before the Emperor's Theme seques in is pure evil. It's freaky music that wasn't actually in the movie.

I believe this thread has never been done!

K.M.

It has. Thread was called "most devillish music" or so.

Anyway:

1) Passages from Images

2) Parts from Chamber of Secrets

3) Parts from Dracula

4) Incident on Isla Nublar from Jurassic Park

5) Finale from The Fury

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Barry's Abduction from CE3K is one the most chilling pieces of music written by Williams. It used to scare me to death as a child when I listened to the LP.

The music underscoring the trial of the "Phantom Zone Criminals" (especially on the shot of Ursa) from "The Planet Krypton" cue from Superman - The Movie.

Neil

Hmm, I've never really thought of "March of the Villains" as evil sounding.

It gets a couple of good evil quotes toward the end when Luthor leaves Supes in the pool with the kryptonite. Other than that it's very much a comic theme for Otis and the Otis/Luthor relationship.

There's one that stands out:

During the shot of Han Solo in "The Empire Strikes Back" as he's being tortured. The statement of Vader's theme is at its most evil. I get chills and goosebumps. Crank THAT one up!

Also, the music underscoring Alex's death in "Jaws" is pure evil, at least the violin churning as the shark approaches the raft.

Jeff -- getting goosebumps

I love that threatening motif in E.T. Especially when it's played BIG AND LOUD (track 16 of the 20th AE)! Awesome.

Great isn't it?

Also, the scene where E.T. is found lying and dying in the gutter, has great moments to it as well. This haunting piece of music with evilish sorrow.

The bells...oh the bells!

I watched E.T. again today. John gave me goosebumps so many times. And that shot of the evil adults approaching over the hills at dawn is just so friggin' brilliant.

-Marc, :joke: Spielberg ;) Williams