Sony To Re-Release "Star Wars" Trilogy Soundtracks

Henry B

http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullne...092973108,89536,

Sony Classical is now the label for ALL Star Wars soundtracks with the CD release of the Collector's Editions of the Star Wars Trilogy.

Each collector's edition package will feature:

- Exclusive 3D lenticular front card of key art. Brilliant box package.

- Exclusive all-new movie poster foldout, created especially for these releases - with each package containing its own exclusive movie poster.

- Exclusive CD-Extra screen savers! Star Wars fans have been craving these exclusive images. These images, only available in Japan as rare book covers for their series The New Jedi Order and a Clone Wars book, have been in demand by collectors for years and are now available on our CDs.

- Exclusive CD slipcase (housing Episodes IV, V, and VI) featuring the key art on the DVD slipcase.

These CDs are scheduled to be released on the same day as the Trilogy DVDs - September 21st.

Looks like a bunch of bullshit to me, but we COULD get some unreleased or remastered music...not likely, though. Yeah, if these are the same as the RCA Victor releases, I don't see any reason to pick them up. Even the covers suck.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we need this?No mention of the track titles,apperently those rare screensaver images are more important than the music.

Why don't they do a 2 c.d. AotC while there at it.

K.M.

Maybe they haven't had time to come up with some AotC-themed screensavers. After all, why bother with the music if you don't have SCREENSAVERS?

Exclusive CD-Extra screen savers! Star Wars fans have been craving these exclusive images. These images, only available in Japan as rare book covers for their series The New Jedi Order and a Clone Wars book, have been in demand by collectors for years and are now available on our CDs.

Star Wars marketing has reached A NEW LOW.

Hah, I wonder if Sony is going to pull the "Ultimate Edition" trick on us. The music as heard in the film, complete with the Dianoga theme in Mos Eisley, chopped up "Sail Barge Assault," and extra Max Rebo Band mus--wait, we couldn't locate those tapes. No alternate "Luke's Nocturnal Visitor" either. But we've got tracked "Imperial March," oh yes we do!

Catalogue numbers:

A New Hope - S2K92950

Empire Strikes Back - S2K92951

Return of the Jedi - S2K92952

Six Disc Trilogy Box Set - SX6K93451

Release Date - September 20th 2004

What I find most annoying about this is that they're giving us complete releases of the Star Wars trilogy with the DVDs, but they didn't do it with the release of the Indy movies. And we all know those scores are in serious need of a complete release, particularly ToD.

Of course, if they'd given us CDs along with the DVDs, they'd actually had to do some work, whereas now, all they have to do is slap on the DVD coverart, stick a few screensavers on it and dump it on the market.

- Marc

Interesting. If these are remastered (I rather doubt it), we need them. If not, they're probably just RCA release clones with worse design.

Anyway, it gives me hope that Sony might do the same not too long (a few years max) after III.

Marian - wondering.

This brings up too many questions. Are they 2 disc re-issues of the RCA albums? Have they been re-mastered? Are they complete? Are they new Williams/Wannberg album edits? Are they a downgrade from the RCA albums?

My head is going to explode.

Neil

My head is going to explode

and which head is that Neil, your head head or your $%#$#$%@. :P;)

btw, please record the explosion on video and post it on the net, we all will want to see it.

This brings up too many questions.  Are they 2 disc re-issues of the RCA albums?  Have they been re-mastered?  Are they complete?  Are they new Williams/Wannberg album edits?  Are they a downgrade from the RCA albums?

That's not the point, Neil. Finally we can lay our hands on those hard-to-find screensavers! Yeah, this is like, the ultimate edition of the original trilogy!

This brings up too many questions.  Are they 2 disc re-issues of the RCA albums?  Have they been re-mastered?  Are they complete?  Are they new Williams/Wannberg album edits?  Are they a downgrade from the RCA albums?

That's not the point, Neil. Finally we can lay our hands on those hard-to-find screensavers! Yeah, this is like, the ultimate edition of the original trilogy!

Probably not Mac compatible.

Neil

I agree, there are just too many questions here. I won't mention them all since they already have been. :angry:

And I agree with K.M. (as usual :P ) and Breathy: why do we get this when they can be doing a complete AOTC and complete Indy trilogy?

Still, if it turns out they're remastered I might consider getting them.

John- trying to sift through the 50 threads that he needs to catch up on. What did you guys spend the entire downtime constantly checking to see if the site was back up? ;)

Why do I want "remastered" re-releases of the RCA Victors?

Because the Return of the Jedi RCA release has horrible sound. Hopefully, they fix it for this release!

-Erik-

Because the Return of the Jedi RCA release has horrible sound. Hopefully, they fix it for this release!

-Erik-

I doubt remastering is going to help much and besides , I just listened, it's not THAT horrible. I think it's quite ok. I should mention I have the Polydor version but normally there shouldn't be any difference... I think.

----------------

Alex Cremers

-Erik-

I doubt remastering is going to help much and besides , I just listened, it's not THAT horrible. I think it's quite ok. I should mention I have the Polydor version but normally there shouldn't be any difference... I think.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Listen to the Anthology Jedi disc and then the RCA version and you will notice a difference. "Into The Trap" is a good cue to compare.

-Erik-

Sony however, just like Philips are the two companies trying somewhat to push the SACD format....like Sony's "Yo Yo Ma plays John Williams" SACD release remember.

So there's a slight possibility they're going to make this SACD Hybrid releases, and if that's the case I'll definately buy them....though making it 'just' a SACD won't do of course.

Because in all other cases they will really have to do something special in order for me to buy this on the day it arrives.

So, here's hoping for SACD quality....like that's going to happen.

I don't own the Anthology set, but I can easily hear the drop in sound quality on disc 2 of the Jedi SE. If this set is the same as the SEs and they fixed that it will be tempting to get.

Exactly!  If these are SA-CDs then a re-purchase can easily be justfied.

Neil

Releasing SA-CDs of film music ain't too high on their list though. To my knowledge there's no news yet about a Star Wars release in the SA-CD format .

----------------

Alex Cremers

What is this SA-CD thing?

SA-CD is "super audio" CD. It's a standard that competes with DVD Audio (as distinct from the audio portion of a DVD Video disc...) for the replacement to CDs. Many audiophiles still prefer the sound of a good unscratched LP to a CD, and SACDs and DVD audios are meant to "fix" this. They both support 5.1 sound (I think) and each channel also has significantly higher quality than CDs.

A new superior digital format, developed by Sony and Philips. SACD uses a new technique called DSD (Direct Stream Digital). DVD-A is more like CD, only more bit depth and higher sample rates. It is not clear yet which of them is the better format.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Don't worry though, the beauty of SACD is that it can be created as a hybrid, which means that every single CD player will handle these quality CD's, though you won't be hearing the SACD bit, only the regular Audio CD sound.

Many audiophiles still prefer the sound of a good unscratched LP to a CD, and SACDs and DVD audios are meant to "fix" this. They both support 5.1 sound (I think) and each channel also has significantly higher quality than CDs.

Correct, SACD supports the usual stereo, surround and 5.1 formats. Though why anyone would be interested in 5.1 for listening to music is beyond me. It usually means you have crappy, or hugely expensive boxes, for the minimal effect. Get yourself a brilliant headset or front speakers, and you'll outweigh any 5.1 set.

Like with television, it's better to buy a brilliant regular screen, then a lousy widescreen for the same price.

Sounds like something I read about called "mp3Pro."

Well...Star Wars on this technology would be cool.

Well, yes and no. Yes, MP3pro handles its sound much better, much more quality. And no, cause it tampers the sound, it encodes and compresses it, which always gives you lower quality then the original.

The same actually goes for CD, it uses bits (or something) which means that between the bits so to speak you lose sound.

Hence the love for LP's still continous which doesn't have this problem and hence the introduction of SACD, which works differently and thus doesn't lose much of the sound digitally as the CD did during the process.

Correct, SACD supports the usual stereo, surround and 5.1 formats. Though why anyone would be interested in 5.1 for listening to music is beyond me. It usually means you have crappy, or hugely expensive boxes, for the minimal effect. Get yourself a brilliant headset or front speakers, and you'll outweigh any 5.1 set.

Like with television, it's better to buy a brilliant regular screen, then a lousy widescreen for the same price.

I agree, but if you're a big movie fan as well as a music fan, probably the 5.1 would be a better option so you have it for movies.

But yeah, for most music I don't think there would really be a need for anything beyond like 2.1

First, regarding the re-release (if that is all it amounts to), as Roger Feigelson remarked on FSM ( http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...21868&forumID=1 ), it's not a bad thing to keep such scores as Star Wars always available. And you have to keep in mind that what is old to us is new to many, who have just discovered the trilo-- oops, pentalogy, and have may have just been introduced to film music thanks to it.

It is indeed a pity, however, that the Indiana Jones DVD's didn't prompt the same kind of score releases.

Now, as regards the music, the interesting thing is that they don't mention any new music at all-- not previously unreleased bits, I mean, truly new music. No track titles either, but this seems to be a "teaser flyer" to inform of a new release; still, without listing all the tracks, they might have said the discs featured "all new music!"

There has been much talk (rumors? leaks?) of Lucas having Williams re-score the opening of Episode IV with the Imperial March, for instance. Images & accounts have popped up concerning new bits, such as an extended Emperor/Darth Vader scene in Episode V; is it left unscored or unexpanded? How about the extended Episode VI finale? Surely, the music must have been re-written again.

Does this mean there is no new music, that there have been no changes, or that they are not included on this set? If the latter, might it be "the last chance to own the original scores"? But then, why not mention it?

Intriguing.

In any case, I won't get these. I still have my Star Wars Anthology box and 2-disc special editions.

I won't buy the DVD's either.

I'm waiting for the 30th anniversary edition (with posibly new versions), the ultimate box with all six episodes. I wouldn't be surprised to see them release a box set of all six scores. Maybe this one will include new versions of the original scores.

obsw0001.gif

such as an extended Emperor/Darth Vader scene in Episode V; is it left unscored or unexpanded? How about the extended Episode VI finale? Surely, the music must have been re-written again.

I can confirm that these scenes do not feature new music. It's just looped/tracked.

such as an extended Emperor/Darth Vader scene in Episode V; is it left unscored or unexpanded? How about the extended Episode VI finale? Surely, the music must have been re-written again.

I can confirm that these scenes do not feature new music. It's just looped/tracked.

Thanks for clearing this up!

The question remains nonetheless: since it's a new score cue (whether re-wrtten or edited together), is it the one featured on the CD? (Same question in all such instances)

If there is any hack and track on these CDs there is no way I'm gonna be buying them, I don't care what sound quality they have or what newfangled format they're in.

We have the originals and nothing can take them away from us, so I would love it if JW rescored some stuff, especially getting the Imperial March into ANH. And a full orchestral ending to RoJ as we've discussed several times. But I think the chances of it being anything but hack and track are very small.

I would love it if JW rescored some stuff, especially getting the Imperial March into ANH

I would love to play JW over my outdoorspeakers while I dragged

you over the fireant mounds in my yard.

Thanks for clearing this up!  

The question remains nonetheless: since it's a new score cue (whether re-wrtten or edited together), is it the one featured on the CD? (Same question in all such instances)

What do you mean? The celebration? From what I can tell, it's like the album version, only with less melody, and more looped percussion at the beginning. The choir seems to have disappeared as well. I think it was this way for the Special Edition, and for the DVD, they looped the percussive part a couple times to cover the Naboo celebration.

I would love it if JW rescored some stuff, especially getting the Imperial March into ANH

That would be great as an alternative (but if rescoring were to happen, we'd always put the original soundtrack first).

That would be great as an alternative (but if rescoring were to happen, we'd always put the original soundtrack first).

Absolutely.

From StarWars.com:

The heart of this collection is the original musical soundtrack, composed and conducted by John Williams and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound.

Sold. :joke:

OMG! I'm still not really fond of multi-channel surround sound for orchestral scores. Sometimes it's done as if you were attending a concert therefore having the rear speakers act like the back wall of the hall, with reverb and all. Other times I've heard it being as if you were the conductor, it's just a little wider with the extreme strings and percussions being the rear left and right. At other times, it's something I think better and worse at the same time, it's basically a chaotic arrangement of instruments grouped all around, with no reasoning whatsoever. So if there's a tuba solo, you'll hear it isolated but for no reason.

It's just a... different experience. It's not a BETTER experience to have multi-channel surround sound. You can perhaps concentrate yourself more on a single instrument or a single group of, but that's all.

Now the better sound quality, that's a different thing... DVD-A gives you that.

All right, remastering. :joke:

So wait, ymenard, what would this sound like if it were listened to with a normal two-speaker/headphone set-up?