Sony To Re-Release "Star Wars" Trilogy Soundtracks

Henry B

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a "TFN Geek", let me say that the Japanese New Jedi Order art is pretty cool. It will be nice to see this artwork without huge Japanese letters plastered all over it. HOWEVER, I don't consider this an incentive to buying these soundtracks at all. (I'm buying because of the improved sound quality.) I just consider the artwork an added bonus. Most music fans obviously don't give a crap about it, and rightfully so. This seems to just be just one little thing to push diehard SW fans into buying these soundtracks, and to that I say: :happybday:

Actually, if these shitty incentives actually get more people into Star Wars music, then this will have been worth it.

True. But there's actually someone out there who's buying these just for the screensavers and other crap, that's just...sad.

Whats different with the "Gold" discs? Anything?

The discs are... gold.

As opposed to the regular discs, which are of a more silver like color.

Totally wiseasses....

but that's what I love bout everyone here. Not afraid to give a zing.

As a "TFN Geek", let me say that the Japanese New Jedi Order art is pretty cool. It will be nice to see this artwork without huge Japanese letters plastered all over it. HOWEVER, I don't consider this an incentive to buying these soundtracks at all. (I'm buying because of the improved sound quality.) I just consider the artwork an added bonus. Most music fans obviously don't give a crap about it, and rightfully so. This seems to just be just one little thing to push diehard SW fans into buying these soundtracks, and to that I say: :baaa:

How about an incentive for the die hard music fans,like the unreleased AotC tracks.

K.M.

Actually, if these shitty incentives actually get more people into Star Wars music, then this will have been worth it.

True. But there's actually someone out there who's buying these just for the screensavers and other crap, that's just...sad.

Yeah, that's what I meant (people who already own soundtracks).

How about an incentive for the die hard music fans,like the unreleased AotC tracks.

If only. :baaa:

On another note...I wonder if these will have the same linear notes?

WAHOO!!! This is the best news I've seen in a while! ;)

If they are truly remastered in ANY way, then they're on my list for sure!!!! :baaa:

The only question is... are they the original albums? or the complete scores? Might they be even more complete than the RCA/Victors? Or less? Time will tell I suppose.

UPDATE: OK, I see the track titles clear this up. They are likely taking the same (or similar) edits from the 1997 SE's. That's fine, as long as the remaster them, ESPECIALLY ROTJ, which sounded like total garbage to all but 2 or 3 of those bonus tracks.

And for you multi-channel bashers, this is how I listen: I have two receivers hooked up. One, normal stereo with my best and most expensive speakers, with the other (a DD 5.1/Pro-Logic Surround setup) with subwoofer and home theatre speakers. I play the stereo loudest, and have the 5.1 setup for ambience. In fact, I have this setup in both my living room and my bedroom. I prefer it that way myself. And yes, the little Polk Audio PC speakers (that came with my PC) with a powered sub have surprisingly great sound for their size.

Hmmm... looking at those track titles...

Disc One

1. 20th Century Fox Fanfare  

2. Main Title / Rebel Blockade Runner Medley  

3. Main Title  

4. Rebel Blockade Runner  

5. Imperial Attack  

6. The Dune Sea Of Tatooine / Jawa Sandcrawler Medley  

7. The Dune Sea Of Tatooine  

8. Jawa Sandcrawler  

9. The Moisture Farm  

10. The Hologram / Binary Sunset Medley  

11. The Hologram  

12. Binary Sunset  

13. Landspeeder Search / Attack Of The Sand People Medley  

14. Landspeeder Search  

15. Attack Of The Sand People  

16. Tales Of A Jedi Knight / Learn About The Force Medley  

17. Tales Of A Jedi Knight  

18. Learn About The Force  

19. Burning Homestead  

20. Cantina Band  

21. Cantina Band #2  

22. Binary Sunset [Alternate Medley]  

23. Binary Sunset [Alternate]  

Disc Two

1. Princess Leia's Theme  

2. The Millennium Falcon / Imperial Cruiser Pursuit Medley  

3. The Millennium Falcon  

4. Imperial Cruiser Pursuit  

5. Destruction Of Alderaan  

6. The Death Star / The Stormtroopers Medley  

7. The Death Star  

8. The Stormtroopers  

9. Wookie Prisoner / Detention Block Ambush Medley  

10. Wookie Prisoner  

11. Detention Block Ambush  

12. Shootout In The Cell Bay/Dianoga Medley  

13. Shootout In The Cell Bay  

14. Dianoga  

15. The Trash Compactor  

16. The Tractor Beam / Chasm Crossfire Medley  

17. The Tractor Beam  

18. Chasm Crossfire  

19. Ben Kenobi's Death / Tie Fighter Attack Medley  

20. Ben Kenobi's Death  

21. Tie Fighter Attack  

22. The Battle Of Yavin  

23. The Throne Room/End Title Medley  

24. The Throne Room  

25. End Title  

Disc One

2. Main Title / The Ice Planet Hoth Medley  

3. Main Title  

4. The Ice Planet Hoth  

5. The Wampa's Lair / Vision Of Obi-Wan / Snowspeeders  

6. Take Flight Medley  

7. The Wampa's Lair  

8. Vision Of Obi-Wan  

9. Snowspeeders Take Flight  

10. The Imperial Probe / Aboard The Executor Medley  

11. The Imperial Probe  

12. Aboard The Executor  

13. The Battle Of Hoth Medley  

14. Ion Cannon  

15. Imperial Walkers  

16. Beneath The AT-AT  

17. Escape In The Millennium Falcon  

18. The Asteroid Field  

19. Arrival On Dagobah  

20. Luke's Nocturnal Visitor  

21. Han Solo And The Princess  

22. Jedi Master Revealed / Mynock Cave Medley  

23. Jedi Master Revealed  

24. Mynock Cave  

25. The Training Of A Jedi Knight / The Magic Tree Medley  

26. The Training Of A Jedi Knight  

27. The Magic Tree  

Disc Two

1. The Imperial March  

2. Yoda's Theme  

3. Attacking A Star Destroyer  

4. Yoda And The Force  

5. Imperial Starfleet Deployed / City In The Clouds Medley  

6. Imperial Starfleet Deployed  

7. City In The Clouds  

8. Lando's Palace  

9. Betrayal At Bespin  

10. Deal With Dark Lord  

11. Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap / Departure Of Boba Fett Medley  

12. Carbon Freeze  

13. Darth Vader's Trap  

14. Departure Of Boba Fett  

15. The Clash Of Lightsabers  

16. Rescue From Cloud City / Hyperspace Medley  

17. Rescue From Cloud City  

18. Hyperspace  

19. The Rebel Fleet / End Title Medley  

20. The Rebel Fleet  

21. End Title  

Disc One

2. Main Title / Approaching The Death Star / Tatooine Rendezvous Medley  

3. Main Title  

4. Approaching The Death Star  

5. Tatooine Rendezvous  

6. The Droids Are Captured  

7. Bounty For A Wookiee  

8. Han Solo Returns  

9. Luke Confronts Jabba / Den Of The Rancor / Sarlacc Sentence Medley  

10. Luke Confronts Jabba  

11. Den Of The Rancor  

12. Sarlacc Sentence  

13. The Pit Of Carkoon / Sail Barge Assault Medley  

14. The Pit Of Carkoon  

15. Sail Barge Assault  

16. The Emperor Arrives/The Death Of Yoda / Obi-Wan's Revelation Medley  

17. The Emperor Arrives  

18. The Death Of Yoda  

19. Obi-Wan's Revelation  

20. Alliance Assembly  

21. Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor  

22. Speeder Bike Chase /Land Of The Ewoks Medley  

23. Speeder Bike Chase  

24. Land Of The Ewoks  

25. The Levitation / Threepio's Bedtime Story Medley  

26. The Levitation  

27. Threepio's Bedtime Story  

28. Jabba's Baroque Recital  

29. Jedi Rocks  

30. Sail Barge Assault [Alternate Version]  

Disc Two

1. Parade Of The Ewoks  

2. Luke And Leia  

3. Brother And Sister / Father And Son / The Fleet Enters Hyperspace / Heroic Ewok  

4. Brother And Sister  

5. Father And Son  

6. The Fleet Enters Hyperspace  

7. Heroic Ewok  

8. Emperor's Throne Room  

9. The Battle Of Endor I Medley  

10. Into The Trap  

11. Forest Ambush  

12. Scout Walker Scramble  

13. Prime Weapon Fires  

14. The Lightsaber / The Ewok Battle  

15. The Lightsaber  

16. The Ewok Battle  

17. The Battle Of Endor II Medley  

18. Leia Is Wounded - The Duel Begins  

19. Overtaking The Bunker  

20. The Dark Side Beckons  

21. The Emperor's Death  

22. The Battle Of Endor III Medley  

23. Superstructure Chase  

24. Darth Vader's Death  

25. The Main Reactor  

26. Leia's News / Light Of The Force Medley  

27. Leia's News  

28. Light Of The Force  

29. Victory Celebration / End Title Medley  

30. Victory Celebration  

31. End Title  

32. Ewok Feast / Part Of The Tribe Medley  

33. Ewok Feast  

34. Part Of The Tribe  

35. The Forest Battle [Concert Suite]

Why are the main titles twice on every one? This HAS to be a typo, as previously mentioned. And disappointing that the Jerry hey garbage is still on thee and Lapti Nek isn't. Or the couple of extra unreleased snippets in ROTJ? Or the two versions of the Yub-Nub (yes, I like th SE ending better, but any collection without them is still lacking).

Oh well, as long as they correct the sound quality problems on the ROTJ set, I'll be most pleased.

Hmmm, either someone made an error with the tracks or perhaps some of the double cues are the versions that appeared on the original LP releases.

Nah, we couldn't get that lucky with Sony and Lucas.

Hmmm, either someone made an error with the tracks or perhaps some of the double cues are the versions that appeared on the original LP releases.

I doubt that. There's not enough room on one CD for the SE tracks and the LP tracks.

According to the Starwars.com article, they go on pre-order at the SW Shop starting tomorrow (8/24). Maybe we'll get some concrete info from there. Or more questions. :music:

Those "medley" tracks and the same contents split up below are just some error on that site. The same happened with Debney's "Passion" tracklist, they corrected it later.

Why do you guys hate the fact that Williams would rescore certain scenes? I mean it looks like it might not happen, who knows, but are you really cherishing the fact that those areas in ANH will be tracked with older existing material and chopped up? Would you not rather Williams as the composer and the one who SHOULD make the decisions on his music, rescore those areas for Lucas? And don't give me this stupid ass answer of "I prefer it not to be touched" because IT IS GOING TO BE TOUCHED, so given that fact, you still prefer it to be tracked? Weird people! As a composer I would hate that. I would want to rescore it.

1. I agree. New scenes should be rescored. Look at AOTC and TPM. Those movies should be rescored after Lucas mauled them post-scoring. At least the scenes that were never scored or had music tracked over them... the worst being the entire ending of AOTC. Old scenes however, don't need recoring. If it ain't broke....

2. LP tracks: The LP tracks had different names. I doubt they will be those. I'd love to get the original LPs remastered with their soundmixes. They had the best mixes, IMO. Just clean it up for a CD and let's have 'em!

3. They possibly did steal the track titles off the SE sets. But why would Sony just steal the work from another company? Does that happen? You see artists change companies all the time, but would they just take the SE's and re-issue them? Or since Lucas owns the edits/mixes, it's his doing? Or are these new remixes that they found while they made the DVD 5.1 soundmixes?

4. Having the scores re-issued and constantly IN-PRINT is perfectly fine so that people can constantly have access to them. BUT...

5. ...if they have any ethics at all... ROTJ will NEED to sound better. If it does, I'll be happy. But if it's the same damn horrid mix with tape hiss and no highs, I'll be pissed at the total ripoff-age. The Ploydor CD (reprint of the LP) sounds better than that! An old cassette sounds better! :music:

LOL , and to think that he ended up making nice journey travels around the world.

Huh? Who?

He's referring to my pic of a Gumby from Monty Python up there. It's Michael Palin, who's recently gone on to host a, er..., host of travel shows. :music:

I agree that if it aint broke don't fix it, but to Lucas it is broke, so as both of us are saying, it SHOULD BE UP TO WILLIAMS TO "FIX"...... Not hacked up to bits with things not making sense because of inapropriate themes going in places where they just don't belong, and music not making sense in harmony or rhythm or anything...... I do think that after all is said and done, there should be a scoring session where Williams can review all these battle sequences in the last couple of films, and the new edits that Lucas wants or already hacked up and let him score them as they should be!

Of course. And, not only chunks of the prequels, but as I remember, even the SE's had micro-edits throughout them (in addition to the newer scenes). Williams should rescore them, but when would he have the time? It would be great if he did.

Well, I would assume it will be sometime after the last film is released and all. That's what they said they were going to do in regards to ANH. So I would say, do it all then. Hopefully........ I don't know if they will even do ANH now that they are releasing it early, they might just leave it all as edits.....

Well, it's now 2:00 PM Eastern Time, August 24th, and the soundtracks aren't available at StarWarsShop.com. Maybe they'll update tonight... :?

Who cares about tracklists when you can have things like exclusive 3D lenticular cover art, all new movie poster fold-outs, CD extra screen savers and an exclusive CD slipcase? Is this really about the music or all the extra crazy crap they can throw into it? Did you really expect some form of competency out of Lucasfilm and Sony for this? Even Sony's own press release says "Lucasfilms" at least once. I wouldn't trust anything either of them has to say.

And I really can't see this album offering anything beyond the SE albums. All that's really left are the source cues from Jedi and maybe some alternates and I strongly doubt any of that stuff would be included.

Neil

Yes, Neil... but we can be hopeful. ;) Granted Sony and Lucasfilm can't be entirely trusted, but we can hope.

Also, we all agree that there can be improvements on the sound quality on the RCA/Victor sets, ESPECIALLY Jedi. Many people love the sound on the Star Wars and Empire 2 LPs, and the Return of the Jedi on the 4CD boxed set better. They could remaster them better, eve if they are the same tracks. Of course, this wold involve finding better source material for Jedi. This coldbe possible, since they made new 5.1 sound mixes for the DVD set.

Still no track titles on StarWarsShop.com. SonyClassical.com doesn't even mention them yet! The darn fools!!! 8O

I've been keeping an eye on Amazon and they don't have them listed yet either.

If the track listings we have are true then these are the SEs. The only way I'm going to buy these is if they really do have better sound quality. Sony has burned us before with the Ep. I UE, but the sound quality on that release was incredible. Here's hoping. I'm not going to drop a penny for these new releases until we find out one way or the other.

I've been spying Amazon.com too. Yep, nothing yet.

Although, I must admit, the Ultimate Edition is only a burn because of the false advertising of "every note John Williams composed for" the movie. That was my problem with it. However, in terms of being a semi-isolated score, and having superb sound quality, it was a sucess.

A side-note on the UE... Sony Classical lists it as "The Ultimate Star Wars Recording". I'll give that a Mrs. Crabapple, "HA!"

And I'm pretty certain that the Sony people thought they were giving us exactly what we wanted. They probably didn't know the difference between the score as it was in the film and Williams' original intentions. I heard they didn't even go back to the master tapes to make it. Lucasfilm should've known better though.

Talk about exact opposites. The UE is presentation of the music at it's worst, but the sound quality is exceptional. On the other hand, the SEs are the definitive example of how to put a film score onto an album (thank you Michael Mattesino 8O ), but the only real complaint about them is the sound quality.

The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound.

Look at your Sony Classical "Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams" CD. That one is also recorded in DSD. Very sweet sound on that one, IMO. Was that CD also released in SACD format? You may have a dual-release if that's the case.

Also, some CDs (like Silva's "Close Encounters" compilation, and Gerhardt's Star Wars/Close Encounters" and "Return of the Jedi" re-recording CDs by BMG/RCA Victor) have Stereo and Dolby Surround mixes. I personally like the sound on those CDs myself. That's likely what's going on here. And, there's a good chance of a dual-release, like I mentioned above. The last E.T. release got one, didn't it?

BTW, who can afford this players? Aren't they expensive? And the general public doesn't buy somehing like that. Consider most people just rip mp3's to save a buck and flip the bird to the "man" (whoever that is), so they won't care about something that sounds a little better than a CD. To most, they don't care. And, unless it was cheaper, I don't care that much either. Unless I had a player that is. 8O

Let's just hope that they found better source material, especially for Jedi's release.

BTW, Yes, I'd raher have expanded Indy and AOTC CDs too, but beggars can't be choosers. ;P

Look at your Sony Classical  "Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams" CD. That one is also recorded in DSD. Very sweet sound on that one, IMO. Was that CD also released in SACD format? You may have a dual-release if that's the case.

There was indeed an SACD version, as far as I remember.

Also, some CDs (like Silva's "Close Encounters" compilation, and Gerhardt's Star Wars/Close Encounters" and "Return of the Jedi" re-recording CDs by BMG/RCA Victor) have Stereo and Dolby Surround mixes. I personally like the sound on those CDs myself.

The Gerhardts sound great, but I never play them in Dolby Surround (noticeable loss in clarity), plus the original stereo mixes supposedly sound even better. Anyway, to release a DSD-treated CD in Dolby Surround today would just be a really bad joke.

BTW, who can afford this players? Aren't they expensive?

I think they're not THAT expensive anymore (though not cheap either, of course). The question is, how much do you have to play to beat the sound of a really good and expensive CD player.

But I have no money anyway.

Marian - patiently waiting for more info on these releases.

Look at your Sony Classical  "Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams" CD. That one is also recorded in DSD. Very sweet sound on that one, IMO. Was that CD also released in SACD format? You may have a dual-release if that's the case.

There was indeed an SACD version, as far as I remember.

I have them both, CD and SACD.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Good, then you can tell us! Is the SACD THAT much better than a CD on a good player? And how much USD do they cost nowadays? Not tha i have enough money for them, but just curious.

Good, then you can tell us! Is the SACD THAT much better than a CD on a good player? And how much USD do they cost nowadays? Not tha i have enough money for them, but just curious.

Well, the SACD of 'Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams' doesn't sound exceptionally good. So, IMO, there's not much difference beween these two. It all depends on what was used for the original recording but, believe me, true DSD recordings are extremely rare for the moment. The booklet does not say, but it could very well be that this is a "mere" 24bit/96 kHz PCM recording which is then converted to DSD.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The booklet does not say, but it could very well be that this is a "mere" 24bit/96 kHz PCM recording which is then converted to DSD.

There's a DSD logo on the CD. So unless they converted a PCM recording to DSD and then back to PCM, I guess it was indeed a PCM recording.

Marian - who thinks that (as far as he remembers) the CD sounds very good.