Sony To Re-Release "Star Wars" Trilogy Soundtracks

Henry B

Seeing as I have no real cds of the original Star Wars trilogy except for compilation albums, I'll prolly get this.

Max :) Edward Scissorhands

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No word yet on an Ultimate Edition Episode II or III, they said that Sony Classical would release another Original Soundtrack of Episode III and that would complete the star wars saga.

Yes, then there'll be a CD of every film. Of course, the monkeys at Sony are far too thick to understand what a complete collection of Star Wars music would be like. :roll:

Seeing as I have no real cds of the original Star Wars trilogy except for compilation albums, I'll prolly get this.

Max :) Edward Scissorhands

I have RCA's double CD sets plus the anthology set and Gerhardt's re-recording, but I'm getting this because I'm a Star Wars freak. Plus, Sony's CDs are most of cases well pressed and the technology they use is unparalleled so if for no new music, than at least the sets should be worthy having for their technical merit.

Roman.-)

The Classic Star Wars Trilogy Scores always get my attention. Most of you guys know that I have every Williams score, but they are the reason I became a Williams fan as a kid, and if I'm bored of every other score, I never get bored of these.

That being said, for ANY of you Williams fans on this site who don't own them yet... get 'em!!! :):P;)

Actually, I don't get bored of the Prequel scores either. Not the movies themselves (one reason I think they aren't as good is that they aren't repeat/rewatchable as the Classics). And I do think that AotC score has had littke respect from even Williams fans. Well, I like it. Since it's release, it's probably been my most-listened-to score. :)

-Chris, Who does wish that they'd eventually release that AotC 2 CD set... I'm dying to hear the unedited "Confrontation with Count Dooku & Yoda Strikes Back", because it was SSSOOOO massacred in the film. (Why Lucas? WHY?!)

PS- Hmm... now I got an idea for a poll. :P

Very similar here. I got into Williams through the SE releases of the Original Trilogy. They were the only Williams CDs I had for about 2 years. When AOTC came out, I listened to nothing but Star Wars for like two months, and most of that was AOTC. No matter how much I listen to it, nothing Star Wars will ever, ever get old or boring.

So I also say if there's anyone who doesn't have the complete scores to the Original Trilogy, take advantage of this to get them! You won't be disappointed. :mrgreen:

I've said this a hundred times here (and Stefan will roll his eyes because he's probably read every one), but for me it was these LPs that got me hooked on Williams: Star Wars, Superman, Empire Stikes Back (the 1st actual score that I owned), Raiders, and ET. That was apretty good streak to get hooked into. I also technically owned RotJ too, but the record store that I ordered it from went out of business and kept my $5 down payment. Rrrr! (I later got a sealed one at a comic book type store).

And yes, QuestionMarkMan and any others who don't have them... get them. They are the cornerstone for any Williams collection (and SHOULD be the cornerstone for every Star wars fan too, but not all of them care about the music).

Quick mention about soundcard upgrades since there are sound issues in this thread..

Last week I got an Audigy 2 NX(external USB),because I didn't want the hassle of opening my PC case.Well,for any of you planning an upgrade,DONT get that one because the sound sucks.Well it doesn't suck that bad ,ot's better than any on-board sound,but it's nothing special,about equal to my portable c.d. player over headphones,plus some tracks in the DVD-Audio sampler are distorted.

Anways,i returned it and got an Audigy 2 ZS,now that kicks ass,best sound I ever heard,period,from anything.

K.M.

Ahhhh brilliant choice KM!

The Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card is one of if not THE best on the market.

The Platinum Edition of that with the Live Drive is really cool and has some kick ass features for sound mixing.

I've said this a hundred times here (and Stefan will roll his eyes because he's probably read every one), but for me it was these LPs that got me hooked on Williams: Star Wars, Superman, Empire Stikes Back (the 1st actual score that I owned), Raiders, and ET. That was  apretty good streak to get hooked into. I also technically owned RotJ too, but the record store that I ordered it from went out of business and kept my $5 down payment. Rrrr! (I later got a sealed one at a comic book type store).

And yes, QuestionMarkMan and any others who don't have them... get them. They are the cornerstone for any Williams collection (and SHOULD be the cornerstone for every Star wars fan too, but not all of them care about the music).

I've barely used a record player in my life. Shouldn't the music itself matter much more than the medium on which it is stored? I couldn't care less that I don't own the LPs.

Amazon UK finally has the CDs on their site. No track listings yet, but they are being advertised as the "Deluxe Remastered Versions". They are also listed as just Audio CDs. The main Amazon.com still couldn't be bothered posting them at all.

Wow... leave for a week, and suddenly I discover my Star Wars soundtrack collection is probably going to expand from 19 CDs to 25!

I sure hope they don't screw this up royally...

Then again, this is Sony on Star Wars, and they did give us TPM:UE. Perhaps someone should slap me with a nice cold trout for my cautious optimism. Seriously, if they present the "Losing A Hand" cue as presented (butchered) in the ESB-SE, I will go into catatonic shock.

Ahhhh brilliant choice KM!  

The Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card is one of if not THE best on the market.  

The Platinum Edition of that with the Live Drive is really cool and has some kick ass features for sound mixing.

Sure does. :shakehead:

I use the toslink connection to connect to my 600watt 5.1 speakers, so I can play my music library from my computer as it's meant to sound.

Then again, this is Sony on Star Wars, and they did give us TPM:UE. Perhaps someone should slap me with a nice cold trout for my cautious optimism.  

::SMACK!!!!::

You're welcome.

I use the toslink connection to connect to my 600watt 5.1 speakers, so I can play my music library from my computer as it's meant to sound.

I hope that means playing your music in stereo, because typically that's how "it's meant to sound".

Neil

Noooooooooo!!!

(Sounds familiar?)

So in other words, the original statement was a very very loose one, and over the top. It's now been 'explained' these are not multi-channel, which then was a big mistake to mention in the anouncement. The carelessness of the anouncement can only mean a lack of trustworthy info. And so we were misinformed. This likely means we are no longer going to get SACD's, though we can still hope. In the meantime, my interest in this release is now gone.

UNLESS, unless they actually did more than just remaster, and improved the sound for Jedi considerably.

No no, we all know about Sony these days, and mostly there lack of vision and insight. What they do is marketing and making you buy stuff you don't need....apparantly they are now using or misusing DSD for marketing purposes, to trick people. It's a sad thing to see.

We can only hope they used DSD for a future release on SACD. Or perhaps they do everything with DSD now, no matter what release. Oh well, it was too good to be true.

It's sounding more and more like the title for this set should be "Sony Strikes Again". (insert dark ESB cue of your choice)

John- who stands by what he said about attracting new Williams fan, but as a die-hard is disappointed.

KarmBee wrote:

I hope that means playing your music in stereo, because typically that's how "it's meant to sound".  

Neil

Yeah, it's not true 5.1 for stereo music. Sound plays though the surrond speakers in stereo as well. The receiver plays the same thing in the left rear as it does the front left and so on. Basically it "tricks" your ear. The feature is called "All channel stereo" or something like that. It can be turned off if you don't like it- which I do on occasion, but I usually just keep it on.

So does that definately mean that those won't sound any better at all than the RCA SE releases 7 years ago?

I guess it's wait and see..who will be brave enought to spend about 60$ cndn to try them out...

Richard

They were DSD remastered. There's a good chance they'll sound stunning. And I also expect that if the SACD format stays around, they will release the albums on SACD sooner or later, now that they have DSD masters.

Marian - who thinks people see this way too negative.

I tend to agree with you Marian..i don't see why Lucas would release something that sounds the same as what they released 7 years ago..and that is easy to comeby..but...we'll have to see...I can'r say i dislike what sony has done for TPM and AOC...the brass sounds very good.

Richard

I can'r say i dislike what sony has done for TPM and AOC...the brass sounds very good.

Well, that's something I do complain about. ROTFLMAO The TPM UE sounds good, but the editing is horrible. And AOTC is a typical recent-years Murphy mix, though the hiss may come from the copy protection (a totally different issue).

Other than that though, I have no problems with Sony Classical. And their classical remasters sound great.

Marian - ROTFLMAO

:) The Hallelujah Trail (Elmer Bernstein)

Well...the editing is absolutely horrible indeed..but if you remember in TPM (the movie)it's actually even worse...during the final battle..it modulates in a way that is absolutely not permissible..i'm sure JW had nightmares for months after hearing that..

What i meant was sound capturing...sounds like a real brass section...i know i'm a trumpet player.. :) some reverb..but not too much..the oldones sound good..but too dry for brass instruments..

If sony redid the old to sound like the new ones..i'm in..

Richard

I guess it's wait and see..who will be brave enought to spend about 60$ cndn to try them out...

Richard

I'd just get RotJ first because it has the worst sound in the S.E.'s.I think the sound in the ANH SE is quite acceptable(it's very loud and booming anyhow)and ESB is just in the middle.

K.M.

Last night I was on itunes and I had found that they had released the scores (well a song from A NEW HOPE and ESB) so I listened to the samples - sounded fine so i just bought both tracks. They sound remastered enough. haha (how many times can you remaster a remastered copy?) Its a good idea to check it out. It was worth my $1.98

To get a clue behind the whole DSD gimmick of Sony, it would be best to hear the "worst" audio quality cues of the trilogy compared to those MP3. It's not a fair compare, but still... it could give us clues. "Imperial Cruiser Pursuit", hmm... "The Battle of Endor III"..... "Luke and Leia" (with all the hiss)

Still no confirmation yet?

If the sound quality is improved, I'll get them... but if it's the same quality, I'll pass and count it as a variation that I don't have... maybe settle for getting them used someday.

All we need is for someone to get a hold of a cue from disc 2 of Jedi and compare it to the SE. Then we'd know one way or the other.

John- who's wallet is praying there's no sound improvement. :P

John- who's wallet is praying there's no sound improvement.  :P

Me too. :P This month was expensive in computer upgrades for me.

K.M.Who's still like to hear a SACD multichannel mix of The Dark Side Beckons

John- who's wallet is praying there's no sound improvement.  ;)

Me too. :P This month was expensive in computer upgrades for me.

For me it's not so much money spent lately as everything that's coming out in the next few months. Overload, in a good-but-money-eating way. :P

All we need is for someone to get a hold of a cue from disc 2 of Jedi and compare it to the SE.

Actually, the analogue recordings might gain a lot, and the digital ROTJ very little...it all depends.

Marian - who'd like uncompressed high quality clips for each album...

Yes. Uncompressed clips, especially from Jedi, would go along way towards my decision.

I'm still leaning on getting them used, or via a trade if someone out there would want to get them, record them, and trade me for originals for a stack of CDRs in my collection. Anybody interested? bowdown

For me, I have not that much income this time of year, with GI Joe DVDs, Star Wars OT DVDs, those new Williams releases, and now this? On top of that, my ongoing fiace(e) visa situation which is taking more money than I initally expected as well? Arghh... sometimes Morn's way of thievery looks enticing... but my morals will not allow it! I will not give into the Dark Side. :thumbup:

<Morn> "Yessss. Me fweel power! i own every piece of classikal, orkestrul, and musick skor musik ever kompozed! i am champion! I see the sith force lightning bolts rise from my computor! my power is obseen! WAHOO! Wait! Why my computor krash?! uull... i ffel bad. Need feel bettor. hehllheh... Heeer goat-ie, goat-ie!"

Sony Classical has put up a couple pages for the SW Soundtrack Rereleases. ROTJ has a couple soundclips -- maybe someone with better audio sense than me can report on whether the sound quality is any better.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalo...=75598&mname=CD

Hah, listen to "The Battle of Endor III," they still flub that trumpet note.

What a surprise it is that these soundtracks are the same as RCA Victor's!