What the difference?

JWFAN4LIFE

Not sure if this has been covered or not but I figured I would ask.

First, I am looking into purchasing some scores of JW's. However, what is the difference between the editions (i.e. signature, orchestral, etc)? If someone could shed some light on it, I would be thankful.

Also, if anyone could suggest some good scores to purchase, please let me know.

Thanks,

JWFAN4LIFE :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good place to start. Is has most of his signature edition scores on one page (sig editions are official "from the film score" copies of the score, not watered-down arrangements) . You can then do a Google search for specific titles that you'd like:

http://www.alexuniv.com/filmscoring/index.shtml

John Williams Signature Edition Scores are wire-bound, full-sized transposed orchestra scores measuring on average 9x12 up to approximately 11x17. All of these works are the concert editions that John Williams conducts from. Most pieces are either opening or end credits. Others are concertized versions.

Or search http://www.halleonard.com/ with "williams signature edition"

Most scores are $48. If you see something thats $300-$400 it means it has both the score and all the parts. You want just the score.

Hope this helps.

Jason

yes that does help.  Thank you very much.  Any suggestions on which ones to get?

Well, it depends on what kind of music you're interested in studying (obviously). Some are good for orchestration and some are good for harmony - this is an extreme generaliztion, of course. I'd go with whatever score you love the most and branch out from there. I've got all of them, but my top "wow, THAT'S how he did that!" scores would have to be:

Star Wars/Harry Potter - fantasy harmonies/orchestration

Summon the Heroes/Superman/Raiders - big, heroic themes and harmonies

ET - it's just beautiful, plus my favorite soundtrack

Hope this gives you a place to start!

Jason