Thusfar Williams' score has garnered both positive and negative comments. Some critic found it obtrusive enough for her to start throwing popcorn on the screen and this newest thinks it was restrained and beautiful. There's perceptions for you.

And Spielberg claims the film isn't finished yet at 2h 20m. Obviously there will be some tweaking of the movie before release, hopefully for the better.

Don't you find it unnerving that so much energy in film journalism is expended on a given film's potential Oscar fortunes rather than the more enduring values and interest to be had in considering a film in terms of its mise-en-scene, performances, music, sound and connections to broader movie traditions ?

It happens. You look at the political coverage in this country, especially right now, it tends to focus on a day by day handicapping of the horse race rather than a sustained focus on the substance of the issues. It's easier to write about and easier to read about.

Hi gang

Moviescope magazine , issue 31 is out at the end of this month. It'll feature an interview I've done about the postproduction sound on 'Lincoln'.

www.moviescopemag.com

Thanks so much.

James

Spielberg will be on 60 Minutes this Sunday: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57535207/spielbergs-lincoln-more-than-10-years-in-the-making/

The interview, which will contain the first clips from the film "Lincoln," will be broadcast on 60 Minutes on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7:00 p.m. PT.

He technically was. Spielberg apparently went to him first, but Day-Lewis declined, so then Spielberg went to Neeson. When Neeson dropped out, Spielberg went right back to Day-Lewis: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/movies/9400119-421/spielbergs-double-feature-war-horse-tintin.html

He technically was. Spielberg apparently went to him first, but Day-Lewis declined, so then Spielberg went to Neeson. When Neeson dropped out, Spielberg went right back to Day-Lewis: http://www.suntimes....rse-tintin.html

Right, because this project has been in the works for so long, the man who played Lincoln in "...Vampire Hunter" wasn't born yet.

Great clips. So fun to see new SS and JW stuff, thanks for sharing! I might have missed it if it weren't for this forum. The score seems to be growing on me. The simple piano melodies, sound great! They remind me of Copland and the Shaker Melody from Appalachian Spring.

Anyone who gets bored enough to check Yahoo news all day, like me, will have seen this, but for those who don't...Sally Field had to fight and beg and plead with Steven to let her stay on as Mary Todd.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/sally-field-steven-spielberg-won-t-let-walk-190803228.html

It'll be interesting to tally up how often Williams's score is referred to "subdued" or "restrained." The last time critics described a Williams work in those terms was 2005, when Spielberg and Kushner teamed up to make Munich. This time, I expect the corresponding film to be more warmly received, and perhaps so, too, will Williams's score come awards time.

It'll be interesting to tally up how often Williams's score is referred to "subdued" or "restrained."

And how many times War Horse is slagged off in the process ;)

It'll be interesting to tally up how often Williams's score is referred to "subdued" or "restrained."

And how many times War Horse is slagged off in the process ;)

:lol: True. It seems to haunt the critics' memories, Williams pastoral music ringing in their ears as the warning bugle against big scoring.

:lol: True. It seems to haunt the critics' memories, Williams pastoral music ringing in their ears as the warning bugle against big scoring.

I suspect it's more the swelling americana schmaltz of WAR HORSE's big emotional theme which might indeed cause to rise some stomach juices in conjunction with images of a blinded boy trying to find his mare while stumbling through an army of brawny but teary-eyed WWI soldiers.

That WWI barbwire is awful stuff. Horsey should not have run blindly into so much of that stuff.