Question about ET live performance from 2002

Miguel Andrade

I seem to remember that back in March 2002, when Williams performed the full score of ET to the film, there was someone who was a board member that was able to be in the audience.

In case you are still around, I have a couple of questions for you...

a) Did Williams played the End Credits? I guess they didn't, as Spielberg seems to have made what he called a "live end credits"....

B) Did you happened to recorde the concert overture Williams wrote for the ocasion... and if you did, are you willing to share ;)

Also, does anyone knows if there is any analisys on the ET score in the internet? If so, can a link be provided?

Thanks

Miguel

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Overture I seem to remember is on the DVD - PM me if you want it (and if I can find it!!)

As far as an analysis is concerned, can't find much on the web....shame....go on, write one yourself.....be sure to quote me though with this:

"The music is a close cousin to his work from Star Wars. In fact, the opening 2 3/2 measures of the main theme of ET are identical (apart from an extra note and an octave difference on 2 notes) to the opening 2 4/4 bars of the Star Wars main theme's statement (after the fanfare)"....

The Overture I seem to remember is on the DVD - PM me if you want it (and if I can find it!!)

The overture is not on the DVD. I wish it was... The only thing we got is a couple of little bits of it on the "Live at the Shrine" featurette. Unless your DVD release is diferent than mine...

As far as an analysis is concerned, can't find much on the web....shame....go on, write one yourself.....be sure to quote me though with this:

"The music is a close cousin to his work from Star Wars.  In fact, the opening 2 3/2 measures of the main theme of ET are identical (apart from an extra note and an octave difference on 2 notes) to the opening 2 4/4 bars of the Star Wars main theme's statement (after the fanfare)"....

Do you read minds? ET is my favorite Williams score to a film, and second only to Williams' Cello Concerto. I've been thinking of writting an analysis for some time, and the question was in part due to know if someone had tried it before, and if it was worth trying to do it better...

But if I can find the right time to do it, I'll sure quote you.

The overture is on the American release of the 2 disc special edition for sure. Sounded pretty cool - orchestra dragged a bit in the opening. I might be able to mpeg4 if the need was really great for it.

It's just a mini suite of the themes,sort of like the End Credits.Give me a clean recording of the E.T. Universal theme ride music over this anyday

K.M.

If I'm not mistaken (this was over 2 years ago) I believe it was "Yoda Claus" who went to the premiere of E.T. where this music was performed live.

Neil

The overture is on the American release of the 2 disc special edition for sure.  Sounded pretty cool - orchestra dragged a bit in the opening. I might be able to mpeg4 if the need was really great for it.

I basically need the audio of it. So if you could get me a high quality mp3 (190kb or higher), that would be just perfect.

In case you could help, my e-mail is miguel.jw@sapo.pt

Hmm ... i was just recording it and I realised that the overture on the dvd stops about half way through it. let me know if you want it or if anyone else can find a full section of it on the dvd.

Thanks to Yoda Claus I was able to attend the premiere, and believe me I tried to record it but they were on top of things and I was not able to get my mp3 player/recorder in :(

Hmm ... i was just recording it and I realised that the overture on the dvd stops about half way through it.  let me know if you want it or if anyone else can find a full section of it on the dvd.

I've suposed that both the US and european 3 disc sets were identical. This confirms my thoughts. I thnak you for the trouble of recording it, but I have it that way as well.

Thanks to Yoda Claus I was able to attend the premiere, and believe me I tried to record it but they were on top of things and I was not able to get my mp3 player/recorder in    

You really can't blame them for doing that, can you... Afterall we got the score on the DVD, and even if isn't isolated, if you turn off all speakes but the front left and right ones, you'll get almost only music. Very little sound effect or dialogue -- and with the proper audio software you can even get that somewhat cleaned up :(

I only find that they missed a great opurtunity when they skiped the full overture...

Maybe only a few of us would really care for it, afterall.

This is for me to learn and read before writting... In March 2002, Elvisjones wrote:

The end credits rolled over live video of JW and orchestra performing the end titles. As the trumpety fanfare returned the audience rose to it's feet and again applauded and cheered through the entire trumpet fanfare and the french horns blasting out that great theme that's first heard on the piccolos at the beginning of the film. It was really exciting. The orchestra came to wonderful crescendo and the audience cheered and applauded and Steven Spielberg came out on stage and introduced the cast and crew that made ET. He closed by thanking the audience for "making the last 20 years feel like 20 minutes".

So the End Credits was in fact performed live. Now if someone can confirm that the one heard in the DVD is the actual one played and not an edit of several parts of the score, I would be most grateful.

Hm, but in the "Shrine Audt." special I can clearly see Williams conducting the end of themovie, and directly after that they stopped and Spielberg came on the stage etc. did I miss sth.?

Hm, but in the "Shrine Audt." special I can clearly see Williams conducting the end of themovie, and directly after that they stopped and Spielberg came on the stage etc. did I miss sth.?

Believing in Elvisjones report, the only think I can come with is that, since both pieces (Adventure on Earth and End Credits) end the same way, this was a very well made edit.

The End Credits were defenitely performed live on that very special evening. On the DVD, if you select the live music performance feature. you can hear the audience cheering and applauding on together with a version of the EndCredits I never heard before. The Piano for example has its problems staying in tempo and the string accompany it unisono...so I'm 85% sure it is a live recorded performance.

The End Credits were defenitely performed live on that very special evening. On the DVD, if you select the live music performance feature. you can hear the audience cheering and applauding on together with a version of the EndCredits I never heard before. The Piano for example has its problems staying in tempo and the string accompany it unisono...so I'm 85% sure it is a live recorded performance.

Yes, I always thought that, but since we have a direct jump from the finale to Spielberg on the Shrine Auditorium featurette, I wondered if that was really performed live...

Hi, Miguel.

To answer your question, Johnny conducted all music live. Everything from the E.T. Suite at the beginning, to the Universal Fanfare with the E.T. Theme interpolated, and the End Credits cue -- he did conduct a live performance of the End Credits as the credits rolled.

The "living end credits" was an opportunity to thank all those associated with the film and with the partnership with the Special Olympics. The introduction by Peter Coyote was also edited for the DVD featurette.

Hope all are well.

Best,

Director