And The New Superman Is...

A24

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fact that I've never heard or seen this guy. Superman does not have to be played by a celebrity. To cast a practically unknown is a perfect move.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm also optimistic about this. He looks a lot like Reeve, and I think Welling would be a really bad choice for this (I have no interest in seeing Superman 90210).

Ain't-It-Cool-News has an interesting scoop of Bryan Singer briefly mentioning the music that will be used for Superman:

He asked if there was anything else and I presented him with the most important aspect I could think of. "Will you use John Williams music in the movie?" He looked at me dead on and said very boldly, "Yes. Definitely yes."

Also, with Brandon Routh now cast as Supes, attention is turning to who will be playing Lois Lane in the film. Cinescape says the following six actresses are being considered.

Mischa Barton from "The O.C.", Charisma Charpenter from "Angel," Mia Kirshner from "The Crow: City of Angels," Evangeline Lilly from "Lost," Natalie Portman from the "Star Wars" prequels, and Keri Russell from "Felicity".

http://www.superherohype.com/news/superman...ews.php?id=2127

They have to pick an unknown for the role of Lois Lane. When Superman, The Movie ran over me I never before saw Chistopher Reeve, nor Margot Kidder. It helped. It helped quite a bit. Natalie Portman as Lois Lane would be an distraction. Casting her would make me fear for this movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

They have to pick an unknown for role of Lois Lane. When Superman, The Movie ran over me I never before saw Chistopher Reeve, nor Margot Kidder. It helped. It helped quite a bit. Natalie Portman as Lois Lane would be an distraction. Casting her would make me fear for this movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But when it comes down to the villan I think you need a well known actor... maybe Hackman will take one more shot at Lex Luthor!

-Erik-

Well he's from Iowa....

so?

surely you're not suggesting Superman is from Iowa, he's from Kansas(via Krypton).

It's a Bryan Singer film afterall.

Then why not Patrick Stewart?

----------------

Alex Cremers

"Mckellen has been in 3 Singer films, Stewart has been in 2. We're not talking quantum %&^ing physics here."

Morlock- who is reasonably certain no one will understand this reference, but strangely doesn't care

I've been saying this for years.  Kevin Spacey should be Lex Luthor.

Neil

Spacey is rumored to be Lex

The role of Lex Luthor won't go to an unknown, at least not according to Kevin Smith on a recent interview with the NY Post and other reliable sources. Kevin Spacey is Bryan Singers number one choice to become Superman's arch nemesis.

Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey have been friends ever since the pairing up in the breakout hit The Usual Suspects. Official announcements should be forth coming from Warner Bros. in the next few days.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/s...ews.php?id=2122

And Brian Singer has said once again that he will use JW's themes from Superman:

"He asked if there was anything else and I presented him with the most important aspect I could think of. "Will you use John Williams music in the movie?"

He looked at me dead on and said very boldly, "Yes. Definitely yes."

The audience went nuts with this news. "

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=18653

I'm not sure about this. If he just does a tribute to Williams themes that's short it should work, but if he tries to base the whole score around them,....that's just asking for trouble.

And on the Lois Lane discussion:mmmmmmmmmm, Charisma Carpenter,.....*drool*

They could at least ask John Williams to compose the Main Titles or the End Credits. Or simply hire him to do the score, period.

Why on earth would Williams want to do this?

K.M.

Spacey would be perfect. Bring him on.

Sure, bring him on, but, what about Billy Zane as Lex?

billy1.jpg

Sure, him too, bring him on.

Bald%20(43).jpg

Your constant chattering annoys me, Superman. Maybe this tape, which I've found in your crashed spaceship, will shutt you up and so save my eardrums for the Mozart concert I'm invited to this evening.

Bryan Singer's confirmed Routh

According to our scooper, Singer said that "this was indeed the official casting as of just today. He went on to elaborate on his previous intention of casting an unknown, and that Routh was amazing talented. He said that he personified the 3 characters he would have to embody: 1. young Clark Kent 2. Clark Kent's "Daily Planet disguise" and 3. Superman."

Our scooper also claims Singer "mentioned being heavily influenced by the original Donner film, and said he would use them as a reference and vague history in this film. Finally when some yelled out 'Will you make an homage to Chris Reeve?', another person yelled out 'Use the original score!' ? to this the crew including Singer, seemed to smile and nod in approval."

Variety reveals that "Singer and his crew are headed to Australia next month to begin production." Superman is slated for a 2006 release.

http://filmforce.ign.com/superman/articles...8/558468p1.html

Variety reveals that "Singer and his crew are headed to Australia next month to begin production." Superman is slated for a 2006 release.

It will be a long wait.

Don't underestimate Bryan Singer (and his love for Donner) or Williams' main theme's opening in fantastic sound quality. It will make you giggle like a school girl and your heart beat faster.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Williams' main theme's opening in fantastic sound quality.

I can listen to the isolated track on the DVD to hear Williams and the LSO with very good sound quality. Too bad it's edited. Still sounds good though.

Neil

Ugh, look for the effects to be underwhelming. SuperheroHype.com has news from The Hollywood Reporter that Sony Imageworks has landed the job. This is the same house responsible for the less-than-stellar work and some the worst digital doubles ever in both Spider-Man movies. Let's hope they can at least learn to composite their shots properly by 2006

It will be sad if the flying effects look worse than the 1978 film. I'm hoping Singer has a realistic look planned for this movie, as opposed to the hyper reality of Spider Man and is able to get quality flying effects shots. That should be the main goal in the effects. Getting us to believe....again.

That should also be the tagline for the movie. :|

Neil

I'm going to pull a Rogue_Leader and ask something that has already been discussed, but I can't remember where I read it and what exactly did it say... Is this film going to be another Krypton-Smallville-Metropolis recreation of the Superman history, or is it going to pick up more or less where Donner left it off? (I mean, just with Superman already an established hero in Metropolis)?

I was hoping it'd be the second option. Not only is it futile to reproduce the Smallville scenes from the film, but a recreation of them would be... well, Smallville again, and that's clearly something WB wants to stick to TV. It also makes more sense this way, with all the Donner "influencing" Singer -- a Superman movie by Donner has already been made, so why make another one? It only makes sense if it's more or less a vague continuation of the story.

As for the poor effects -- first we'd have to wait and judge, and even if they are objectively unrealistic, then I don't think that's necessarily negative. Maybe this is a good way to ensure the whole film won't revolve around them.

Lets just be glad that they aren't going with those horrible changes they were talking about a while back. Like having superman teleport instead of fly and messing around with his uniform and a whole bunsh of other crap.

Sony imageworks is very distracting.  

Just look at the quidditch match in HP PS or Spiderman.  

Really, i think it is the worst 'famous' company out there.  

Agreed.

I thought James Cavizel was rumored? I thought he would have been good. But the guy in that pic looks like he could work too.

-Chris, Who knows none will be as good as the first two.