JW Interview On Harry Potter & CoS DVD

Josh500

I've read on this site that there's a JW interview on the Harry Potter & CoS DVD!!! I can't find it. Is it a hidden feature (easter egg)??? Does anyone know about it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. This site rocks!!! :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a small portion, and it appears to be edited together from several interviews.

First, we get a random quote by Columbus about the music: "John Williams and I will sit down, and then we'll go through the film and talk about specific places that I'd like the music to start and end."

WILLIAMS: "Composing an orchestra score for film is a labour intensive process, because both Harry Potter films are almost completely scored from one end to another.

We'd all recognize, if we could see these films without music, and then see them with it, we'd realize that some aspect of the nourishing blood of what makes a film work comes from the music.

Actually, I think I've spent more time thinking about that melodic material than film scores, and when succesful a great reward, certainly for me, personally, and hopefully for those people who'll take the music away and want to play it or learn it or hear it over again."

There's also a small bit of film shown first without, and then with the music (the moment when Hermione walks into the Great Hall at the end).

And that's it. Nothing deep or really interesting. There is some footage of Williams conducting the orchestra, though, but I don't think that's actually from CoS, as William Ross conducted for CoS. It's probably from the first film.

- Marc

And yes, this site does rock quite a bit. Welcome to the boards. :)

Actually, I think I've spent more time thinking about that melodic material than film scores, and when succesful a great reward, certainly for me, personally, and hopefully for those people who'll take the music away and want to play it or learn it or hear it over again."

Hasn't Williams said this wasn't really important in the past?That statement prooves Williams sometimes thinks about his legacy music wise over the movie itself.

I interpret that to mean what he's said many times in the past - that the hardest part of scoring can be coming up with the right melody that gets just the right fit for the character or idea. What can seem very simple and inevitibable to us is, in fact, extremely difficult to come by. He works harder on it because its the harder part of scoring, not because he's worried about his legacy or anything like that. That's just a benefit of his hard work, when people remember it and want to hear it. That's my interpretation in which case I don't think there's a contradiction.

- Adam