The REAL Ep. III Teaser Poster. Honest.

John Crichton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a huge understatement. That is one of the worst posters I've ever seen (concidering the material). The mask looks like it's gonna be terrible.

I think the wideness of the helmet is due to trying to match it up to the cape. In all the pics I saw of Vader's helmet in the Ep. III special on the DVD it looked exactly the same as in the OT to me.

This is the weakest of the three teasers for the prequels, no doubt. And it's not that great overall. But it's only a poster, in a couple of months I'll have forgotten all about it.

Does this foreshadow the quality of the movie we are to see (or refuse to see)?...

I think the first two prequels foreshadowed the movie we are to see. And yeah, this poster probably does too. Blah.

Ray Barnsbury

That sort of cheerful, orangey glow behind him seems to heighten the cheesiness.

And you're right -- the shape of the helmet, and its distorted features, suggests something of a comically angry Jabba with Vader-like features.

If you really would like to show Vader in this manner then something like this would've been so much better:

True%20Teaser%20Poster.bmp

Have Anakin stand with his back to the audience and let Vader show himself within a much more natural positioning of the cloak, which already resembles the shape of the helmet.

At least symbolically you show Anakin is 'turning away' from who he is, and becoming less human and more (emotionally) isolated, walking away from us. Also, there's a resemblence of a pawn in a chess game.

And in stead of a flowing melodramatic picture, draw sharp stylistic lines, for example like the shape of the cloak in straight diagonal lines to the corners of the poster, or something like that.

To me that would already produce a better poster with a better and deeper message, better than these posters of these professionals in my opinion.

Do *something* with the poster, anything. Don't create just a 'nice', basic and empty poster. Create a painting, art, not a picture.

Looks more like the original Ralph McQuarrie concept art for Vader to me.

I kind of like it, especially at the larger size.

but of course it is vintage Star wars.

Luke, who will not post an opinion

It looks like a very poorly done Photoshop image.

Just for reference, this is what a well done Photoshop image looks like.

SillyDanni.jpg

Neil

Sorry but that head is so big.

Post another example or you will lose credibility.

I'm torn - I think it's a very CLEVER poster (Ain't just chewie in there - there are 2 or 3 Vaders, one of whom is back to back with Anakin, Grievous, Palpatine etc), but for me it ain't Star Wars.....not yet....

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/image.cgi...haracters01.jpg

:?

EDIT- here's the story that goes with it:

EP3: Hidden Characters in Episode III Teaser Poster?

Todd has sent in an annotated version of the Episode III poster which he believes contains some hidden characters:  

The Teaser is a collage that has several characters (The Emperor, Grievous, Boba Fett) in it. People are not seeing it .... so I made a screenshot to help (above left).

The teaser poster has at least two Vaders in it. The obvious one and another (above right).

Todd is not alone - one of our staff members sees the possible Grievous.

It's like one of those swirly pictures that are supposed to have all sorts of hidden images, you just have to stare at it until you go cross-eyed. Personally the only things I ever got out of those was a headache.

John- taking off for the weekend. Don't miss me too much. :P:wave:

Hm, the longer I look at it, I begin to see the other two Vaders... or at least hints of them... but Boba Fett/Grievous?

I see the obvious frontal half-Vader face on the left of the poster. It looks rather contorted and wrong, so I assume it serves more purpose, and yes, I can see a different Vader helmet: side-on, facing left.

That's all though. Where's this 3rd Vader? The whole poster? I can see how there might be an Emperor's chin, but if it's incidental then it's poor. As for Fett and Grevious...they're making it up, surely!?

If you turn it sideways you can see manuscript paper with possibly a new JW theme on Anakin's sleeve. Those clever devils.

I've created my own poster for Episode III. I think you'll find my master of photoshop just as subtle, and the many layers of meaning in this image just as deep...?

shit.jpg

I see Greedo in that. :P

It's like a Rorschach test for Star Wars nerds.

:wave:

Neil