Where to start with Elmer Bernstein??

woodwindmaster06

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You should definitely get To Kill a Mockingbird (I like the re-recording with the RSNO and Bernstein on Varese) and The Magnificent Seven.

You should definitely get To Kill a Mockingbird (I like the re-recording with the RSNO and Bernstein on Varese)  and The Magnificent Seven.

:|

These CDs are essential in any Bernstein collection.

woodwindmaster06, there are also several compilation discs available, if you want to sample his different styles before buying a complete soundtrack:

Great Composers: Elmer Bernstein (Varese Sarabande)

Elmer Bernstein by Elmer Bernstein (Denon Records)

Other CDs I consider essential are The Ten Commandments, The Great Escape, Hawaii, Age Of Innocence and Far From Heaven.

Kathy

I thought the limited edition 2cd complete The Great Escape by Varese would have been on top of the list.

Me too. Grab that one while you can. It's fantastic!

Neil

That was actually the only Varese CD of the last batch I didn't get. I was a bit sore over having to buy two Great Escapes within as many months. But I've gotten over myself, and plan to order it tomorrow, along with the other 4 new titles (which I'm expecting will rule).

I was a bit sore over having to buy two Great Escapes within as many months.

Yes, how dare they want to sell you two completely different albums! It's almost as if they want to be in business only to make money!

Neil

No, how dare they sell a less complete and (by most accounts) inferior album two months before a complete deluxe edition!

I have no problem with them wanting to make money, but the way is happened that time, it just was not done in a very nice way, and Varese is normaly very considerate of it's consumors.

I just got the new album for a rather cheap price, and I'll wait some more and see if it grows enough on me (not that it's not a great score) for me to purchase the Deluxe Edition.