Countdown: 1(!!) Month Until Revenge of the Sith (Spoilers)

King Mark

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

New Developments

first from theforce.net

We've received word that the soundtrack for 'Revenge of the Sith' will be released on May 3rd, 2005, and the set will include a bonus DVD

Highlight for spoilers

Anakin runs down the hall of the Republic Executive Building and enters the office of the Supreme Chancellor. Inside, Palpatine is begging for his life as Mace Windu stands over him with his lightsaber.

Anakin looks at the two. Mace warns Anakin to return to the Jedi Temple as instructed, but Palpatine begs for Anakin to protect him against the undemocratic Jedi.

Again, Mace tries to convince Anakin otherwise, but then Palpatine pleads, 'You remember the story of Darth Plagueis the Wise?'

Anakin looks at Palpatine, ignoring Mace.

"Darth Plagueis was real," says Palpatine.

Anakin looks at him shocked.

"Real?..."

"Darth Plagueis was my master. He taught me the key to his power," he said.

Suddenly, Palpatine's voice turned cold, and old, "...before I killed him."

Mace tries to tell Anakin not to believe him.

Palpatine raises his head, an old, withered man appears from beneath the shadows of the cowering Chancellor.

"I cannot, I turn myself over to you. I am too weak in the end. Too old, weak ... I give up. Don't kill me, Master Windu. I surrender..."

Anakin's internal conflict grows. Anakin weighs up the role of the undemocratic Jedi, the omission from the Jedi Council, the ideals and concepts of Palpatine, the loyalty of Palpatine, Palpatine willing to share the way to control midichlorians to create life... to save Padme - his loved one.

Anakin lunges towards Mace as the Jedi goes to strike against Palpatine. A lightsaber battle begins; fast and furious until Mace's hand is cut off. Sidious raises his hands and lightning strikes from them, zapping Mace in revenge with full veracity - and with his lightning he lifts up the disabled Jedi and throws him through the window, out into the Coruscant traffic below.

-------------------------------

After returning to Coruscant, Yoda and Obi-Wan quickly make their way to the Jedi Temple. In a gallant effort to save the Jedi throughout the galaxy, the two Jedi switch the Jedi beacons from ?Return home? to ?Run for Cover.?

However, Obi-Wan can?t help but watch the recordings from the Temple?s camera system. To his horror, he witnesses the murder of the Jedi Younglings by Anakin Skywalker.

Obi-Wan visits Padme and reveals to her the truth about Anakin; the slaughter in the Temple, his allegiance to Sith... He asks her if she knows where Anakin is: she says ?no.?

He also knows that Padme is a woman who does not stay still. So he waits for her to board her Royal Naboo Starship with Threepio and Artoo. Just as the ramp into the ship is about to close, Obi-Wan secretly stows away aboard the ship.

Meanwhile Master Yoda makes his way to the Great Senate to meet his deadliest foe?

-------------------------

and check out http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7764

for new pics including (highlight)

Yoda - Owned!

Mace Windu and his Posse confront Palpatine

General Grievous in action

More General Grievous

Darth Sidious Revealed!

Darth Sidious prepares to kick butt

------------------------------

Looks good? :?

Max

Is it just me, or is the Vader suit looking weird? ;)

He's CG. Note the lack of reflections of real lights and the fact that the chain holding his cape is not being pulled.

Neil

Huh... :D

Well, if it's any comfort, that's obviously not an actually shot from the movie. Just publicity to get people excited about Vader, maybe the suit wasn't available when they shot it.

More pictures.

EDIT: Weird, the picture links are all broken but two. Looks like Lucasfilm's been here. :roll:

Vader CGI? That have to be publicity stills. He is meant to appear 5 mins, no? Then why make he CGI if he is not going to perform any battle or strange thing?

They were publicity stills. That doesn't change the fact that he was CG. As for why, you'll have to ask Lucas. But know that a CG Vader exists. I would expect maybe he does some wild stunts at some point.

Neil

I would expect maybe he does some wild stunts at some point.

Neil

That's probably it.I don't really like the idea of a CG stunt double making moves that couldn"t be replicated in real filming by a stuntman,but maybe it's for another purpose.I never was a fan of shots using puppet replicas of actors used in death shots in older movies either.

K.M.

LOL

This is good news, though! Considering the script and the addition of a dialogue coach, we might actually see some decent performances by the main three.

footnote in the latest french SW Insider:

John Williams has seen an rough cut of Return of the Sith at the beginning of Octobre.A week later he was already starting to write the score."We have determined the general axis of Return of the Sith and you will be reminded of Return of the Jedi in tonal aspect and thematic structure.I can't wait to conclude the music that I have started in Episode 1 and 2,like Return of the Jedi is the conclusion from ANH and TESB.No dates is determined yet for the recording sessions,we will try to have a "almost finished" version of the movie before recording the score."

K.M.

What's with the foreign translation-type writing? Was that insider info a voice recording of Williams, typed out by some Joaquin El Mexico?

What's with the foreign translation-type writing? Was that insider info a voice recording of Williams, typed out by some Joaquin El Mexico?

It's a translation. At least it makes sense.

John Williams has seen an rough cut of Return of the Sith at the beginning of Octobre.A week later he was already starting to write the score."We have determined  the general axis of Return of the Sith and you will be reminded of Return of the Jedi in tonal aspect and thematic structure.I can't wait to conclude the music that I have started in Episode 1 and 2,like Return of the Jedi is the conclusion from ANH and TESB.No dates is determined yet for the recording sessions,we will try to have a "almost finished" version of the movie before recording the score."

K.M.

Sounds very good.

Well,at least they go out of their way to say they'll try to avoid the TPM and AotC scoring fiasco,that's great news.I'm sure Williams is very concious of this.So they may record later than febuary.

Perhaps this has something to do with the non mention of his name on War of the Worlds yet.If it comes down to a choice,I'd rather see a masterpiece FINISHED Episode 3 score rather than a half assed attempt at scoring the 2 movies at the same time.

K.M.

This would also explain why he isn't conducting the LSO concert on february 20th as originally rumored, as he wont be in London in february. The only question is, that if they are delaying the recording sessions, is the LSO still available? Their concert schedule for April is very dense, which would mean propably a quite booked March also (rehearsals and a few concerts).

-Snowster

KM you need to edit your title, its just about 4 months now to Rots premiere.

The MB is slower to load than usual for the last few days,am I the only one experiencing this?

K.M.Who corrected the above oversights

The MB is slower to load than usual for the last few days,am I the only one experiencing this?

K.M.Who corrected the above oversights

Same here.

BTW, does anyone have the exact schedule of the recording sessions? When do they start?

:mrgreen:

"No dates is determined yet for the recording sessions,we will try to have a "almost finished" version of the movie before recording the score."

Let's hope things will turn out better this time. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe JW and Lucas will use the upcoming Episode III scoring sessions to re-score the Battle of Geonosis sequence as well, if time and money permits. Considering this the last SW score ever, it should be a golden opportunity to correct such a thing. Well, I'm dreaming, I know... :mrgreen:

As long as they don't attempt to re-score ANH while they're at it.

And what defines the term "almost finished" here? The SE's were labeled the "definitive versions," but apparently even those needed tinkering for the DVD release. :mrgreen:

Is it just me, or is the Vader suit looking weird? :mrgreen:

He's CG. Note the lack of reflections of real lights and the fact that the chain holding his cape is not being pulled.

Neil

He's not CG, but there's Hayden Christensen under the suit (apparently, the actor was really eager to wear the costume and convinced Lucas to use him as Darth Vader as well). That's why it's looking weird. Look at the arms and the legs: they're too thin. Let's hope the result as seen on-screen will be better.

As long as they don't attempt to re-score ANH while they're at it.

Well, if they still want to re-score parts of A New Hope as well, the Ep3 scoring sessions are the best occasion to do it...

And what defines the term "almost finished" here? The SE's were labeled the "definitive versions," but apparently even those needed tinkering for the DVD release.

In this case, "almost finished" means that they hope to have a "locked" version of the final edit of the film. What caused such problems to the scoring of both Ep1 and Ep2 was the fact that the movies still were not locked (mainly from an editorial point of view; visual fx are another thing) even during the scoring sessions. They changed the editing until the 11th hour, as is much common in nowadays. I this case it's very difficult, if not impossible, for the composer to have cues exactly shaped and synched to the right picture.

Is it just me, or is the Vader suit looking weird? :mrgreen:

Neil

He's not CG, but there's Hayden Christensen under the suit (apparently, the actor was really eager to wear the costume and convinced Lucas to use him as Darth Vader as well). That's why it's looking weird. Look at the arms and the legs: they're too thin. Let's hope the result as seen on-screen will be better.

that is a CG rendered picture, sorry you can't admit it, and Yoda isn't real either. :)

In this case, "almost finished" means that they hope to have a "locked" version of the final edit of the film. What caused such problems to the scoring of both Ep1 and Ep2 was the fact that the movies still were not locked (mainly from an editorial point of view; visual fx are another thing) even during the scoring sessions. They changed the editing until the 11th hour, as is much common in nowadays. I this case it's very difficult, if not impossible, for the composer to have cues exactly shaped and synched to the right picture.

Yes,and since the specially mention it in the SW insider,then there's good reason to believe the people involved are concious of the score problems in the first 2 prequels and might actually do their best in that regard for Ep3.

There's no doubt Williams must have beeen horrified by the score editing and mixing in Ep2,so maybe he had a "talk" with Lucas,and that's why Ben Burrt isn't editing the whole movioe this time.

And to remind everyone,the space battle is the "big" CG sequence in this film,and that's already locked.

K.M.

I already knew about Hayden wanting to put on the suit, I never really thought it'd work that much because of the height needed for Vader

oh well, that's what CG is for!..............

And to remind everyone,the space battle is the "big" CG sequence in this film,and that's already locked.  

don't be naive, KM, there are over 2000 special effect sequences in the digitization. Current plans are for the film version to be tweaked all the way to the middle of April. And there is a special cut of the digitization(not a film at all) that will be worked on up until about May 5th, that will play only in digital theatres.

The book comes out April 2nd btw, its currently being erroneously listed as Star Wars, the Making of Revenge of the Sith, its listed at 25.95 for the hardcover. Its by Matthew Stover, thankfully, not the uber awful R.A. Salvatore.

So all the secrets of the movie will be known in less than 3 months