Harry Potter & The Prisoner Azkaban rear channel extract

Jay

So far, its coming along VERY nicely. Rescuing Sirius, for example - minimal sound effects, and no dialogue (except Hermione's yell).

I should have a 2CD complete score boot done by the end of the month.

I'll give a free copy to whoever makes the best cover-art for it. I *suck* at photoshop.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give a free copy to whoever makes the best cover-art for it.

I hope you aren't planning on selling this to anyone, since it's clearly a bootleg. If you feel the need to sell it, don't bother posting a message about it here.

Neil

Of course not, I would never do anything of the sort.

I plan on offering it for trade in the trade forum, and possibly making MP3s of it available free to all (like I did with the dialogue-included versions over the summer).

Rear-channel bootlegs? :thumbup: You guys are still in the stone-age. :P

-CJ, Who doesn't care for computer-processed DVD-rips, and has his own, specialized way of making them. :)

ChrusherPromos style!!! :P

They wind up sounding a little better, IMO. :thumbup:

OOh, sounds intriguing, please tell us how to do it so we don't waste our time with an inferior method :)

What information/text should be on the cover?

Anything would be better than the cover-art on the OST. I like the cover-art used for the DVD, as well as the Sirius Black Wanted Poster art as well. There are lots of interesting posters on www.posternow.com if you search for "Azkaban".

The back cover should just have the track list. I won't know the final track list until I finish making it, but a good start would be the cue list I have at www.geocities.com/jwhp3

So far:

Family Photo: No dialogue, minor sfx

The Playground: No dialogue, minor sfx (new discovery though: The last 1-2 seconds of the cue is replaced with tracked music)

Knight Bus Approaches: No dialogue, minor sfx

The Knight Bus Part 1 (Last note): No dialogue or sfx

The Knight Bus Part 2 (missing section): No dialogue, minor sfx

Monster Bok of Monsters (clean ending): No dialogue, minor sfx

Mr Weasley's Warning: No dialogue, but source music overlaps the first half of the cue, there is background pub noise throughout, and there is loud sfx at the end

Train in the Rain: No dialogue, minor sfx, the rear channels are missing part of the cue

Arrival at Hogwarts: No dialogue, minor sfx. This one is interesting - on the rear channels, the second half of the cue is completely accapella - the music is on the fronts only.

Dumbledore's Speech: Dialogue the entire time 8O plus part of the cue is missing on the rear channels

The Grim: Constant dialogue throughout again :D

Harry Meats Buckbeak: No dialogue, minor sfx. I appreciate this cue a lot more now that you can hear it without dialogue all over it.

Knight Ghosts (intro): No dialogue, minor sfx

Sirius Black Sighting: Minor echoed dialogue, minor sfx

I stopped for the night at the Boggart sequence since thats a complete mess. I'm making good progress at least.

Whoo hoo! Thanks Jason! Can't wait for it to be done! :D And I don't have a terribly large ammount of tradable-stuff, so I'll be vying for the freebie once I get a couple ideas finished. :P

Work-in-progress #1:

cdcover_azkaban01.jpg

-Matt

Rear-channel bootlegs? :D You guys are still in the stone-age. :P

-CJ, Who doesn't care for computer-processed DVD-rips, and has his own, specialized way of making them. :P

Let me see if I understand... You don't do the rips on the computer. So you must use a DVD player, connect the desired channels to a recoding device (CD recorder, Mini Disc, DAT,or even good old analogical tape) and do the extracting?

Is that correct?

Now, unless you have digital output for each channel, or at least for the ones you need, you'll be going from digital (on the source DVD), to analogical, during the transfer to the recording device, and at some point, depending of the recording device, getting back to digital. To me that do not sounds to be the best choice... But then again I'm no audio expert.

From the experience I have, that is far from being as large as yours, I've come to believe that the best way to do this is to rip all the channels and from there work with some kind of multi track software, selecting the bits from each channels that offer at any given point the best presentation of the music. I've done that in part of JFK -- but the music is so heavelly edited that I gave up after a while. I'm now working on another one, that the music is all on the front left and right channels, and only a few echoes of it apear on the remaining channels, so there is no use working with them. But from my small experience, that is not the usual thing...

Miguel, I agree with everything you say.  Keeping it in the digital domain is the way to do it to prevent generation loss.  It's also the most precise.

Neil

That was what I always thought... But have you tried to work with the five diferent channels in a multi track software? I think that that is the way to go... but is just too much work! And the results aren't just that good enought -- in the end you still have some echoed voices and sound effects.

Miguel, I agree with everything you say.  Keeping it in the digital domain is the way to do it to prevent generation loss.  It's also the most precise.

Neil

That was what I always thought... But have you tried to work with the five diferent channels in a multi track software? I think that that is the way to go... but is just too much work! And the results aren't just that good enought -- in the end you still have some echoed voices and sound effects.

I have very little use for ripped scores. The sound effects and occasional dialogue are a real turn off for me. I'd rather have nothing than something that is only a little better than watching the DVD with the TV turned off. All that work for very little gain.

Obviously though, the best way to do it is to edit from 5 channel down to 2 channel, selecting the channels that have the highest music to effects ratio. In theory this works. In real life I'm not so sure, since I've never done it. And naturally you'd want to cut over to the album wherever applicable. It just sounds like an awful lot of work for very little gain. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Neil

I agree partly.Yes,the sound effects ARE frustrating,but you get a better appreciation of the unreleased music than just listening to the DVD with the TV turned off.TheToD DVD rip is a case in point.

k.M.

Neil, your absolutely right, of course. i have lots of ripped scores sent to me by other fans, and for the most part I have only listened tot hem once or twice.

Still I think that the best way is to convert the six channels into separate waves and work on a multi track software. You select what's worth, and then mix tha whole thing into a stereo file.

But as you state, is too much work for very little gain.

From the experience I have, that is far from being as large as yours, I've come to believe that the best way to do this is to rip all the channels and from there work with some kind of multi track software, selecting the bits from each channels that offer at any given point the best presentation of the music.
Obviously though, the best way to do it is to edit from 5 channel down to 2 channel, selecting the channels that have the highest music to effects ratio. In theory this works. In real life I'm not so sure, since I've never done it. And naturally you'd want to cut over to the album wherever applicable. It just sounds like an awful lot of work for very little gain. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

I did something like that for my DVD-rip of The World Is not Enough. I will have to go back to it some time to lower the pitch on the ripped files, but I think I made one of the best DVD-rips possible, taking into account which channels offer the best music in comparison with the degree of the SFX, and constantly mixing.

Sometimes you have great results, sometimes you're out of luck.

I'm the opposite of Neil, I can live with the SFX in order to have the unreleased music. And I disagree about the listening to it without the TV on comparision. By choosing the channels you use, you reduce the quality of the music but you can also filter out quite a bit of the non-music content. A fair trade-off, I think. And it is quite a bit of work, but I actually find it pretty satisfying. bowdown

It's nowhere near perfect, but it's better than nothing until we get complete score releases.

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up that Jason's done with his rip by bumping this back to the top ... just wanted to post another comp of a front and back covers for an HP3 complete score disc set that I did ...

I was gonna do more, but back covers are just SO time consuming, that at this point in time without a "confirmed" actual tracklisting it's too time-consuming to make something only to have to change it again ...

Anyways, here's my #2 "Quidditch" covers. Feedback appreciated! :)

cdcover_quidditch01.jpg

cdcover_quidditch02.jpg

(and I couldn't find anything in the board rules about image sizes for posts, so hope these are ok!)

-Matt

Nice work.  I especially like the back cover; it looks very real.

Are you kidding me? It doesn't even have an "FBI Anti-Piracy" logo on the back of it.

Neil

Yeah, that might work really well. Or how about instead of that shot of Harry looking down, the one where he sees the Grim in the cloud? I really like the look of that one too.

Since I'm doing my own rip, I'm not participating in the competition ... just thought I'd share my own personal design scheme. There are no track-lists because I'm in the process of re-doing them to make them more legible.

ss1.jpg

cos1.jpg

poa1.jpg

ss2.jpg

cos2.jpg

poa2.jpg

Excellent! Now if you could just change "Sorcerer's" into "Philosopher's" it would be perfect.

:)

P.S. The "escape from Chamber on Fawkes" picture looks great! It almost looks like it's actual art, is it? It looks remarkably like the shot from the movies, only where's Gilderoy? *points to user name*. Tsk tsk!

Nice covers John, but what's up with "J.T. Williams" on the spine? Who is that? I've never seen a composer go by that name. You should also lose the "June 4th" from the Sirius poster.

Neil

MM: That's production art from the COS DVD. And I think that's Gilderoy on the bottom. Above him is Harry, Ron, and then, if you look closely, Ginny.

Neil: Yeah, I plan on removing the "June 4th". And the Harry Potter books are credited to "J.K. Rowling", so putting "J.T. Williams" is just a little tongue-in-cheek homage. :)

Nice covers John, but what's up with "J.T. Williams" on the spine?  Who is that?  I've never seen a composer go by that name.  You should also lose the "June 4th" from the Sirius poster.

Neil

Actually, Williams as answered by that name (J.T. Williams) in some of his early work.

Maybe Williams would have more critical praise or be more popular if he had named himself "John Towner" instead of "John Williams".It has a more classical ring to it.

K.M.

John, while I just love your covers, I should point out that only HP2 was performed by the LSO... The others were performed by studio orchestras, even if they were recorded in London.

I just thought you were wrong, since i could swear HP&PS was performed by the London Philarmonic but it just got erased from my covers! 8O

Really were did i saw it was the philarmonic?!