Movies That Made Soundtracks Popular

Dean1700

With the post about how soundtrack sales are down this is a good counter point.

In your opinion what movies have done more to increase the popularity in soundtracks?

Star Wars is by far the most obvious choice but what other are there?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently, The Lord of the Rings is the obvious one. It's also my personal experience (friends and family) that Williams' Harry Potter scores have connected extremely well with non-film score Potter fans, despite what you might see sometimes in the HP forums.

John's list of great selling soundtracks is quite long.

another big seller before John was Exodus

Recently, I think Harry Potter sparked interest and it was added to by LotR (which annoys me as there are so many better scores than Shore's). I know that's exactly what happened to me. And look at me, I'm a member at JWFan.net.

I agree. I've never hidden the fact that I don't particularly like Shore's LOTR scores (with the exception of certain moments in each film), but I am at least grateful that these scores have encouraged many Mussles (non-music folk) to listen to soundtracks with a more attentive ear.

I think that Harry Potter has done the most to make Williams "mainstream" since the late 70s-mid 80s heday of Jaws, Superman, SW, ET and Indy.

No kidding. I don't think Sleepers or Nixon would have done it.

These are the movies I personally feel make big impacts (music-wise) on their viewers, based on my personal experiences...

Jurassic Park: Everyone I have every watched this with starts humming the main theme immediately.

Star Wars: Even the ?rap? kids at school know all of the songs from the movies.

Homeword Bound (the 1993 version): Everyone recognizes the main theme when I play it for them... They love it.

Home Alone: All of Mom?s college kids recognize Somewhere in My Memory whenever she plays it in class.

Harry Potter: Everyone knows the main theme.

LotR: Most all people thought the music was awesome in the movie.

ET: Not many people recognize it but after watching the movie, many people comment on the music.

I think all of these are movies that had such good music that it inspired the viewers to go out and buy the soundtracks... and for those other viewers who didn?t buy the soundtracks to remember the music, at least.

Oh yeah, I recently watched JP and TLW back-to-back with someone who had never seen the films before (horror! shock!) and he too started humming the theme during Journey to the Island and the End Credits of both films. :mrgreen:

- Marc

Well, Star Wars had an incredible impact on the ressurgence of orchestral soundtracks.

Doesn''t annoy you guys when you go to some record store, and the people that search for cd's in the soundtrack section only buy stuff like Kill Bill, Amelie, music from Kusturica's films, Shark Tale...and they only put crap like this on the listening points. Quite often some friend of mine asks me for cd's on this type, knowing that I own lots of soundtracks...sigh...

Every movie scored by John Williams.

:mrgreen:

Perhaps your answer would have fit better if the question had been "Soundtracks that Made Movies Better". Of course in that case it would not be quite true either.

I would go for the likes of Grease, or Dirty Dancing, Star Wars, Amélie, indeed, Dances with Wolves, The Rock.

Pirates of the Carribean

Sadly it's very true. Rarely would they pick up a score soundtrack composed by anyone other than Badelt. It took me a while to convince myself there were other composers apart from Williams with good music to offer.

One of the notably missing exceptions to this list is Bill Conti's magnum opus for Rocky (No bloody 2, 3, 4 or 5). Don't forget, the theme from Rocky went to the number one position on the 1977 Billboard charts.

?Gonna Fly Now? not only occupied the number one position on the Billboard magazine charts for the week of July 2, 1977, but also received an RIAA Certified Gold Record and two Grammy nominations for Best Instrumental Composition and Performance

Pirates of the Carribean

Sadly it's very true. Rarely would they pick up a score soundtrack composed by anyone other than Badelt.

Yes, I know, very sad. The crap you read about this is unbelievable. Stuff like Klaus Badelt should score the next Potter film, cause he would kick Williams' ass. Right...

It took me a while to convince myself there were other composers apart from Williams with good music to offer.

That's also true. It took me a while as well. But now I know so many other composers, I really don't know what stuff to get next anymore. :P

- Marc, whose latest acquiition was by Alan Silvestri. :D

Doesn''t annoy you guys when you go to some record store, and the people that search for cd's in the soundtrack section only buy stuff like Kill Bill, Amelie, music from Kusturica's films, Shark Tale...

The music for Amelie is excellent. It is perfect for the film and is well written. Last year I taught a class on music listening skills at Kent State University and I included some of the pieces from Amelie. The music isn't so much "emotional" as calmly haunting, very much like the music of Satie and (to a lesser degree) Glass. An orchestral Williams score for Amelie would have been less successful, I have no doubt of this. I am aware that some of the pieces used in the film were not composed specifically for the movie but were taken from Yann Tierson's previous albums, but that is part of the nature of the score. This music is an abstract reflection of the events onscreen rather than a literal musical accompaniment. The music that was written specially for the film is pure genious! (Amelie's Waltz has been imitated quite often since the film's release. There's even a TV commercial being aired currently that parodies the Amelie Waltz.)

I'm not saying Amelie isn't a good score...it's just people just seem to buy these scores. It's like going to Venice and you spend the entire week locked in your room.

I agree with what you're saying. I just wouldn't have grouped Amelie in with the other examples you gave.

I think what it all comes down to is that most people buy music for one particular "song", or simply because they want something good as background music for the car/while cooking/doing something else. Most people simply wouldn't give orchestral music (classical OR film-score) much of a chance because of all the "quiet bits". They'd rather have something that maintains a good level for background music and doesn't get too distracting (distracting=interesting) and most pop music is perfect for background listening. We as more attentive listeners have a wholly different agendum when shopping for CDs. Not that I'm against pop music. I like to listen to dumb fun stuff quite often, and then of course there are the artists/bands who strive to lift pop music out of the bland area of "background music". Bands like The Orb, Goldfrapp, Air, Tool, Spock's Beard, David Bowie, Kraftwerk etc have all created very complex and interesting music within a pop idiom.

Not that I'm against pop music. I like to listen to dumb fun stuff quite often, and then of course there are the artists/bands who strive to lift pop music out of the bland area of "background music". Bands like The Orb, Goldfrapp, Air, Tool, Spock's Beard, David Bowie, Kraftwerk etc have all created very complex and interesting music within a pop idiom.

I wouldn't say Kraftwerk created very complex music, but I agree with your thoughts. It's funny how soundtrack fans look down on other genres. They point their finger at classic music fans for looking down on film music but they are as guilty as those they accuse.

Ignorance is a limitation of knowledge.

----------------

Alex Cremers