Illayaraja - The greatest film music composer ever?

yperelman

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Have any of you heard of a film music composer by name Illayaraja? Chances are that most of you have not. Its a pity that such a genius remains largely unknown to the western world - largely because he comes from an obscure place ( A state called TamilNadu, in Southern India ). Having heard film music of all the major composers from the world including John Williams, I consider Illayaraja to be the greatest film music composer ever - Period.

If you want to know about his music, a good place to start will be an instrumental fusion ( fusion between Bach's music and South Indian classical music) album named "How To Name It?". Yo can read review of the same here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...800845?v=glance

You can hear the pieces here:

http://www.nixline.com/Illayaraaja.htm

I feel sad that such a composer remains largely obscure and this thread is a small attempt from my side, to expose him to film music lovers all over the world. If any of you want to know more the man's music, please let me know. Thanks.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What criteria are you using to say best film composer ever? I only sampled a short amount and its interesting to hear the fusion of Indian music and classical. I imagine this would appeal mostly to people who like classical music, Indian music or, even better, both. Its the kind of music I can enjoy for a little while as a curiosity but I've never been much of a fan of either genre. And from the point of view of the sophistication and difficulty of the arrangements, certainly there are better film composers, Williams being the most notable. But maybe you're using other criteria or simply saying he's your favorite.

- Adam

Hi Adam, I just referred to fusion album as an introduction to his music. This is just one of the genres where he has delved into.

To give you a background, the man has composed music for an incredible 750 films. His music spans a variety of genres that include - Indian classical music, Indian folk music, Minimalism, European Classical music.

Unforunately, unlike Hollywood movies, Indian Movie industry do not release soundtrack albums. But a few enthusiasts have recorded his scores directly from his films. They lack in recording quality, but you can have a feel in the following pieces:

http://www.iespana.es/i2fs/MounaRaagamBGM.rm

http://www.raajangahm.com/real/bgmscores/m...iyum/track1.ram

http://www.raajangahm.com/real/bgmscores/m...rai/track01.ram

http://www.raajangahm.com/real/bgmscores/a...li/anjali03.ram

He isn't John Williams, so he's not the greatest, sorry.

Joe, who has worshipped John for over 30 years.

Sounds like he might be the most prolific film composer ever? Its probably a good thing that I?m not a fan of this music. Its bad enough that I have to crave an expanded edition of Temple of Doom and other Williams? odds and ends. Add in another 750 unreleased scores and I?d be one hugely frustrated person.

Some of it has the Nyman-like repetitive stuff that I don?t like that much. Other times, there?s potential but the arrangments lack a certain subtlety or maybe seem to robotic. Course I?m basing this judgement on hearing .000001% of his total output so it shouldn't dissuade anybody. Anyway, thanks for the links - very interesting.

- Adam

ha ha haa

JOHN WILLIAMS GREATER THAN ILAYARAJA ??

JOHN WILLIAMS is very very great .....and maybe 30 times above the others like hans zimmer , jerry goldsmith etc.....

but in front of ilayaraja , he is no where.............

i am big fan of John williams and ilayaraja.....and I got deep knowledge on both................and with that knowledge i am saying john williams musical output is nothing when compared to divine , creative and expressive music of ilayaraja.....

JUST SAY U DONNO ILAYARAJA.....but without knowledge dont even think of ridiculing him....coz when u attain the knowledge u feel guilty ............ha h aha

but i wud agree ...with adam.....john williams compositions are presented with much sophisticated orchestra.....thats only output of musical notes .....its just like u r using sophisticated technology to play a tune whereas someone is creating music on hand made drums.....but see the compostions ...the ORIGINAL notes put on document ....dont compare coke and water......and if Ilayarajas heart touching notes are presented with symphonic orchestras ......then the fallen WTC will stand on its own ...ha ha haa......

ilayarajas compositions are like part of nature......

like a flower , like a honey bee hive, or child born....

and if u talk about quantity .....the music stamena ......then if JW has scored 10 points then ilayaraja has scored some 2000 points....

JOHN WILLIAMS IS SOPHISTICATES SUB SUB SUBSET OF ILAYARAAJA

Yes. Definately yes.  

Morlock- Who knows

Morlock, why don't you post this at illayarajafan.net??? If there IS such a thing. :wave:

Just who the heck is this guy? How could he be the best film composer if no one's ever heard of him???

What is this thread about again?

Justin - Wondering why this new member is trying to convince a society of Williams lovers that the center of their society is infact not the best composer ever. It's like we're The Masterpiece Society and here you are bring in outside influences. ;)

if Ilayarajas heart touching notes are presented with symphonic orchestras  ......then the fallen  WTC will stand on its own ...ha ha haa......

WTF are you talking about?

Neil

if Ilayarajas heart touching notes are presented with symphonic orchestras  ......then the fallen  WTC will stand on its own ...ha ha haa......

WTF are you talking about?

Neil

i mean so powerful that music

Yes. Definately yes.  

Morlock- Who knows

Morlock, why don't you post this at illayarajafan.net??? If there IS such a thing. :P

Just who the heck is this guy? How could he be the best film composer if no one's ever heard of him???

cmon pal, JOSH ...........dont say sun is biggest start since u see it... don be a frog in deep well that thinks well is whole world....sorry...........

ilayaraja is hardcore regional composer ......regional ppl who are exposed to his and JWs music can only compare.....other miss out......

I Know GEORGE BUSH ...but BUSH doesnt know me ....and there is possibilty that I am better than BUSH by 1000 times ...rite ?? hee hee

JOHN WILLIAMS- Mighty music

HANS ZIMMER - Royal music

JERRY GOLDSMITH - Solid music

JAMES HORNER - Melodious music

CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Passionate music

What is this thread about again?

Justin - Wondering why this new member is trying to convince a society of Williams lovers that the center of their society is infact not the best composer ever. It's like we're The Masterpiece Society and here you are bring in outside influences. ;)

If it doesn't work for Vangelis, it definetly won't work for ilyJarJar. :P

With each post, this thread is more and more of a joke.
If it doesn't work for Vangelis, it definetly won't work for ilyJarJar.  :P

"Woah, yousa guys bombad!"

Neil