THE TERMINAL dvd special features

Dr. Know

Hey there

Maybe I missed this, but it doesn't seem to be noted anywhere that the 3-disc "limited edition" of THE TERMINAL not only includes the soundtrack cd as disc 3 (big deal -- we all have it already), but on disc two includes a special feature called "In Flight Service: The Music of THE TERMINAL." The latter includes a brief interview with Spielberg, and a more in-depth interview with JW interspersed with clips from the film and the recording sessions. Very nice!

Jim

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the same soundtrack CD that's available separately? I don't have that yet, and the DVD is only slightly more expensive than the CD...

Marian - who in this case could have saved the money he spent to see the movie at the theatre.

Expect another Laurent Bouzerau doc. Either you like his stuff or you don't. At this point, it's all a bit repetetive and does nothing to interest me in getting a title.

Neil

I didn?t realize the same person keeps doing these things. That explains their consistently uninineresting nature. I rented this and the music featurette doesn?t really provide any insight beyond what you can get in the liner notes of the CD. The only new Williams quote was a piece of trivia about his connection to one of the jazz artists, whose autograph we see in the movie. Beyond that, some footage of the performace and that weird E.European instrument.

Mostly, it was good to hear the music in the movie again and to hear some of the unreleased stuff.

- Adam

Expect another Laurent Bouzerau doc.  Either you like his stuff or you don't.  At this point, it's all a bit repetetive and does nothing to interest me in getting a title.

Neil

What other ones has he done? I never pay any attention to who makes the documentaries.

I watched all the bonus features last night. The Williams feature certainly could've gone into greater detail, although the bit about the trombone was certainly interesting. The stuff about the set was fascinating! Man, I would've loved to have visited that place.

Did anyone else find it kind of ironic that they showed an ad for the soundtrack at the end of the featurettes?

What other ones has he done? I never pay any attention to who makes the documentaries.

Laurent Bouzereau

He's done a lot of Spielberg stuff. He was also behind the release of the Collector's Edition Jaws album, I believe.

Yes. And the CE3K Collector's Edition album.

- Marc, who has both. :(

So certain are you? Always with you it cannot be done...

I still think they might be holding out until they know more about the new Indy movie. If it IS happening I'm sure they'll release the extended soundtracks as tie-in releases. If not, they may release them sooner. Or later. Or never. Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

I believe it is about 5 minutes long (from what I've heard) and that it does not contain prolonged footage of JW conducting (from what I've heard, coupled with an educated guess, coupled with knowledge of the Bouzereau docs)

I wish the featurette was a little longer. But at least you get to see the orchestra applaud him at the end of a cue. (He applauds them back.) But this is quite brief. And on other featurette ("Airport Stories"), which some of the cast and crew reminisce about their airport experiences, Williams mentions that one time he had his conducting book stolen when he checked it in. He seemed to hint that someone probably thought it was valuable art work since it was inside a rather big binder.

, Williams mentions that one time he had his conducting book stolen when he checked it in.

What if it contained the supposed "darker" Star Wars main titles he composed for The Phantom Menace?

K.M.

Does it have Williams rambling on about various unrelated stuff like he did in the website preview thingy?  

I didn't like that interview. Not knowing what he was asked made him seem senile, talking about people coming to America and finding warmth through clothes and relationships.

Ray Barnsbury

The DVD interview is slightly more expansive. Williams talks about using certain European instruments for underscoring Navorski's plight and going for an "American" sound for Amelia. But basically the highlight is just seeing him work with the orchestra. You get to see the woman doing the clarinet part and you also can make out some of the usual musicians (i.e., Jim Thatcher) as well.