Some of you are so young!

Yarko

MEIN FUHRER! I CAN WALK!
Actually, it's:

MEIN FUHRER! I CAN VALK!

Best B&W movie EVER!  :sigh::mrgreen:

Just remember that German is not every ones first language lest you be chided also like I was :mrgreen:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you're a little biased. I mean, you're a Stephen King fan commenting on a Kubrick movie. Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Psycho, Schindler's List, Dr. Strangelove, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, Stalag 17, 12 Angry Men. Those are the top ten that popped into my head.

Of course. I just listed the first 10 to jump into my head. Citizen Kane, naturally up there too. And that's the LAST classic to see once because you have to. you have to see it at least 3-4 times before really liking it, and another half a dozen or so before realy loving it. And then throw in a couple dozen times mre just to let your appreciation sink in.

Natalie Portman is...retarded. At least she's come off that way in every interview I've seen. What's up with her studying philosophy at Harvard? :?

If she says she doesn't do endorsements, tell her the sign actually has a typo and then pencil in an "E" between the "J" and the "W". That will go over well in Israel I bet.

Neil

I like this thread! It highlights the youngness of the young people on this site. I am 15... prolly one of the younger ones...

James- the vulnerable young one with very little musical knowledge whatsoever.

What's your nomination then?

its hard to pick a best, but here are black and white films that are better than Strangelove

King Kong,

Bride of Frankenstein

Dark Victory

Grapes of Wrath

Rebecca

Psycho

Schindler's List

Night of the Hunter

Casablanca

Citizen Kane (though Strangelove is far more entertaining)

On the Beach

The Manchurian Candidate

Random Harvest

You can accept or reject these, it doesn't matter, as these are just my choices based on my opinion.

If you haven't given up reading this thread yet, welcome to JWFan Yarko! I'm an oldie too. 34 and counting. Star Wars got me into JW back in 78. I've been a fan ever since. I even taped the 1994 oscars just in case Williams won, which he did as pointed out above! He thanked Ken Wannberg, and that's about all he said.

Good list Joe. I would also include Chaplin's finest two movies, The Kid and City Lights. Also Alastair Sim's version of Scrooge (1951) which is the best in my opinion. Philadelphia Story is a fine movie too.

thanks, pt, how the hell did I forget Alastair Sim's Scrooge, that is possibly one of my favorite films ever, and yes it belongs on that list to.

It is the quintissential Christmas Carol film, and just a damned great movie any time of the year.

and yes KM you are younger than I, I am 44 years and nearly 3 months old, and loving it.

Scrooge is on my mind a lot these days. I'll be giving it my annual viewing soon, but I'd rather wait a few weeks to get the right Christmas spirit (no pun intended...). It came out on DVD a year or so back. You get the standard version plus a nasty '80s colorised version (shudder). Still, at least they included the original too. Now if only George Lucas would do the same with his DVDs....

:mrgreen:

I'm 19 now.

In 1999 when I was 15, my brother downloaded some Saving Private Ryan tracks which grew on me over time, and I harmonised/jammed with them with my French horn (which I was forced to pick up and learn two years before). It led me to download some other "John Williams" pieces, and I was DUMBFOUNDED, FLABBERGHASTED at all the themes and movies he had written music to... all my favourites like Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and as I downloaded them, I could even identify which scenes they reminded me of.

Basically, in 2001, Harry Potter's charming score sealed the deal.

If I hadn't had access to a downloading program, I would never have bought the numerous Williams albums as a result. Just one example of the benefits of downloading: figuring out your actual musical taste.

You all forgot to mention Sunset Boulevard, directed by Billy Wilder. And, of course, The Heiress (William Wyler), one of mine personal favorites. They all don't have to be American films either. Here's one that will truly flabbergast you: http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/w...wages_fear.html

----------------

Alex Cremers

If I hadn't had access to a downloading program, I would never have bought the numerous Williams albums as a result. Just one example of the benefits of downloading: figuring out your actual musical taste.

Also, you get those rare Williams tracks, like his recordings of Back to the Future, Batman and The Legend of Zelda.

Neil