Some of you are so young!

Yarko

She will have one (well, two actually) big reason for that...

Is that a titty joke?

No by far. If that was so, then she will be cool in EPIII, she will not that much since she is pregnant, and well though her breast should be bigger, and the babies are somewhat attached to them sometimes, as you can see, i was not refering to that anatomical part...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night of the Hunter

:spiny:

Alex, the first time I saw this movie was back in the late 80's. It came on late one night on the Chicago superstation, and I had no idea that I could be so creeped out by a black and white movie.

Its not scarry in the traditional sense, but man when you see Shelly Winters with her throat cut, you know your in for a ride.

Since this thread as somewhat veered back on topic...

I'm 25. I was casually interested in some film music in my younger days, but my first Williams CD was the ANH Special Edition in '97, the other two soon followed. And it was in the Summer of 2000 that I expanded from just Star Wars to Williams in general. :spiny:

I guess I should have added that I am one of the board's senior members, at 37. I got into film music (music in general actually) after stealing my sister's copy of the Star Wars soundtrack and playing it over and over and over and over... Etc....

Over the years I have had the Star Wars score on every conceiveable format known to mankind, with the exception of 8-Track tape and the new SA-CD format. However, if they eventually do release it, that might be the clincher for my decision to purchase an SA-CD player.

I'm 20, and I got into Williams when my high school marching band did a Williams show in 2000. We played the Raiders March, Far and Away, Jurassic Park, and E.T.. I casually decided to look for some of his music to purchase, and stumbled across the Greatest Hits ('69-'99) album. I listened to it constantly, and eventually got more and more of his scores. Yay!

Ray Barnsbury-who finds it strange that he's not really one of the youngest anymore

I'm 25. My first Williams CD was The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration. I believe I was in eighth grade when I got it. I had been a general fan for a long time before that though, I always loved Spielberg movies and knew he wrote the music for them so that started my interest.

The Indiana Jones trilogy probably got me started buying. And my interest increased in high school because a couple of my best friends (a horn player and a trumpet player ;-) were crazy about John Williams/film music. His music was a favorite for marching shows in the late 90s around here. I think playing Williams in school got a lot of people into his music, which is great.

I'm 23, my first CD was Schindler's List when I was 12. I've got now about 60 JW CDs (about 40 soundtracks and 20 with the Boston Pops and other compilations) and 40 movies scored by JW on DVD. Collection is still growing . . . yay!!! :wave:

However, if they eventually do release it, that might be the clincher for my decision to purchase an SA-CD player.

I'm sure it will be.

Goldsmith on SACD did the same for me.

Don't expect Star Wars to bring the best out of the SACD format though, Tomlinson should have been horse whipped! :wave:

I guess I should have added that I am one of the board's senior members, at 37. I got into film music (music in general actually) after stealing my sister's copy of the Star Wars soundtrack and playing it over and over and over and over... Etc....

ah to be so young.

Hey Justin... I joined like right when I turned 14 also (last yr)... But I am no where near your number of posts... So I do wonder if 14 is the youngest age of a member that joined this site.

Well if he doesn't fit in the mug, we'll just put the rest in some tupperware next to it.

I'm 27, but Star Wars is what sucked me in. Jurassic Park and The Last Crusade being a very close second.

I almost purchased the SA-CD hybrid of the Telarc "Music of Jerry Goldsmith, last summer. I opted for the standard CD instead. Maybe next year, when more music labels have proven their commitment to the media... D.A.T, anyone?

I almost purchased the SA-CD hybrid of the Telarc "Music of Jerry Goldsmith, last summer. I opted for the standard CD instead. Maybe next year, when more music labels have proven their commitment to the media... D.A.T, anyone?

Ken, that was a mistake. The SA-CD of that album is a hybrid disc meaning it has a CD layer and will play on any CD player. You could have bought that and played it normally, but when you eventually upgrade to SA-CD (which I strongly recommend) you'd have a disc to play, instead of a disc you had to re-purchase.

As for Star Wars on SA-CD, the things I'd love to have would be Varese's original Soundstream Digital recordings transferred to SA-CD, since it can easily handle the bandwidth, which standard Red Book CDs cannot. The recordings I want from them include the Gerhardt Empire Strikes Back and Varujan Kojians Star Wars Trilogy albums. I also want RCA to re-issue all of the Gerhardt "Classic Film Scores" line, featuring the original stereo mixes. Jedi may not benefit much from an SA-CD release (it was a 44.1 digital recording if I'm not mistaken, so it's kind of locked into that) but Star Wars and Close Encounters were gorgeous analog recordings that would sound great on SA-CD.

And while I'm dreaming, Sony can issue the complete score to Star Wars in three track and stereo on SA-CD anytime now. They just need to transfer the three track analog tape used for the SE into Direct Stream Digital (DSD) and then re-edit it. This would be a great album to come out just before ROTS I think.

Neil - obviously dreaming

Neil;

You are probably the person to ask this question. How does the SA-CD format, which I assume uses a digital output as well, stand up against using a standard CD player, using the optical or coaxial output?

Becuase of the overly paranoid concerns of the music companies, neither SA-CD or DVD-Audio have active digital outputs when playing the high resolution formats. The optical or coaxial digital outputs are only active when playing a CD or a DVD-Video.

There are now some players that can output digitally via FireWire (I think they call it iLink) and so far no one seems to have hacked this. This proprietary wire typically hooks into a multi-channel receiver which will then handle distance compensation and bass management. At this time, players and recievers with this connection are very expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it.

In my set up, I'm playing SA-CD in stereo and I'm very happy with the results. I'm too picky to be able to enjoy the format in multi-channel mode now, which to me seems to be an afterthought, with little regards for standards. Don't let that scare you though. Every SA-CD has a high quality stereo mix that is vastly superior to the standard CD layer.

Neil

I started posting on The Groovy Yak's John Williams Message Board (I posted as "Trilobyte" for awhile before switching to my first name) somewhere around late 1997 or early 1998. After that board closed down because of "crazy Brazilians" (in the words of the moderator) -- I don't remember the exact date -- I started posting at Ricard's nascent site and have been around ever since. I suppose the Web has just gotten more popular, 'cause I remember going through long bouts of absolutely zero activity back in the Groovy Yak days. Now, I would be astonished if we were to go through a single day without someone posting something.

Other than me (if you count me as a "regular" poster), King Mark is the only one from that era who still posts here pretty regularly, although Frank's been around here a bit more often of late.

I also want RCA to re-issue all of the Gerhardt "Classic Film Scores" line, featuring the original stereo mixes.  Jedi may not benefit much from an SA-CD release (it was a 44.1 digital recording if I'm not mistaken, so it's kind of locked into that)

Gerhardt's Jedi is an analog recording, Neil. It will benefit.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hmm, your age has always been a bit of a mystery Alan.  I'm guessing 20's.

Well, I'm young enough to be keenly aware of "thefacebook.com phenomenon" sweeping college campuses across the country.

Ah, the good old Groovy Yak days. Tim and Scott Hanson were pretty instrumental in getting me into the music John Williams beyond Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

But if I remember correctly, my very first post (on an online forum, ever) was on Ayaz's old site, something about the grail theme from IJ3 sometime around 1996 or 97. It's been pretty interesting to watch the evolution of the online JW-fanbase since then!

I joined the old MB in february of 2002, only shortly before we switched to this one. I was fairly new to Williams and soundtracks in general, and of course to the people here. I once asked advice on what scores to get, because I only had about 10 soundtracks at the time (5 of which were Star Wars soundtracks, and only 2 not by Williams). I still have a hard copy of that thread lying around here, and I have yet to get half of the scores mentioned there. LOL It's also pretty interesting to see all the names of those kind people who responded to the newbie, and whom I feel I have come to know so well over the past years. :thumbup:

- Marc

I also want RCA to re-issue all of the Gerhardt "Classic Film Scores" line, featuring the original stereo mixes.

I have the first one (Star Wars/CE3K) not in the Dolby Surround version, but in the original stereo mix, I think. Yay!

Glad to say that I am not anymore either. :)

Justin - Old Un-Official Veteran. (Veteran of The Soul who remember when Ren joined.)

thanks! that's the new way to classify posters. . .BR and AR. . .before Ren, after ren :)

JK!

I joined in summer 2000. The Patriot days. Since I wasn't crazy about the score, and I read people critizicing it here, I thought this was a cool place with intelligent discussions and no blind fanboy-ism.

Much time has passed since then.

I joined in summer 2000. The Patriot days. Since I wasn't crazy about the score, and I read people critizicing it here, I thought this was a cool place with intelligent discussions and no blind fanboy-ism.

Much time has passed since then.

Damn, I came too late!

Well, I'm 17. I've been visiting this site for a few years and decided to stop being lazy and participate in the forums a couple days ago. I first grew to like Williams' music after I saw Hook, but that was before I knew that John Williams wrote it. The first piece that got me to really like Williams was the infamous Asteroid Field from ESB