John Williams Feature on MSNBC About Mission Theme

Saxbabe

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wel,this brings back memory of recording bits and pieces of TV shows and movies on TV with a hand held tape recorder to get to hear a few seconds of hissy Williams music.

K.M.

Ah those were the days, playing parts of my Jaws videotape over and over again to get a somewhat acceptable recording.

Putting a cheap microphone against a mono TV just does not bring out the best in the music though.

I have a whole tape of JP stuff, including the entire Main Road attack sequence. I just loved the sound design. And I didn't hold a recorder next to the TV, no, I actually hooked up my recorder directly to the VCR. :music:

Unfortunately, I hadn't adjusted the left-right balance correctly, and of course the sound is sped up because of the PAL system.

What's the music in the first Mission clip about 1:39 into the video? I dont know what it's called

"Meet the Press" theme,formely called "Pulse of the Events" theme

K.M.

Regarding the music titled "Brokaw #2", with Brokaw stepping down, was wondering why this would be titled as such, instead of "bumper" or just "NBC News" or some such other name.

Thought: This little theme could be something done for the special all about Brokaw's life and career "Dateline Presents: Tom Brokaw - Eyewitness to History". It's replaying at 8pmET on MSNBC Sun, Dec. 5.

Just a thought. :(

That reminds me, on the Tom Brokaw special that was on last week, there was a tons of Williams film music in it. He cleaned up from the royalties on that show!

Neil

Thought: This little theme could be something done for the special all about Brokaw's life and career "Dateline Presents: Tom Brokaw - Eyewitness to History".  It's replaying at 8pmET on MSNBC Sun, Dec. 5.

Just a thought.  :(

I watched part of it,and apart from the movie music as Neil mentions,I didn't hear that new theme in that show.If I'd heard it, I would have known it's Williams.

It remains to be seen if this theme will be used at all.NBC is sitting on a bunch of recordings they NEVER use.Like that new Olympic chase like music this summer,it only poped up in teh MSNBC promo for the Olympics and I never heard it again on the air.

I'd feel better knowing it might show up in some show's credits,but nowadays credits are cut off or shortened,or always have voice over.

So hang on to that video file and MP3.

K.M.

Williams has written enough music for NBC to take up a good chunk of a whole CD. It all deserves a release as much as the complete scores we're always clamoring for. Maybe someday.

Ok ,I'm on to something...

If you take the 1.54 -2.18 segment of the interview part,that appears to be the ENDING of the new theme since the players do a fade out and stop playing.If you edit it with the 2.42-3.20 segment which is the BEGINNING,you get a 1 minute piece of music with a clean start and a clean ending.Not sure how much is missing in the middle part,but who knows maybe it's a 1 minute piece,since the second part flows well into the first one without any key changes.

Now the next part would be getting Williams voice out of there,is that possible since some broadcasts are in 5.1..maybe with a channel separation software....???

K.M.

You are SO right. In fact, you could start that ENDING Section at 2:01; because 1:54-2:01 just overlaps the with the end (the trumpet solo) of the beginning section.

So they DEFINITELY match up! It makes a clean piece of music, and sounds like it may not have anything missing, because it overlaps with that same exact trumpet solo.

A bumper for something probably would be about 1:00 or so.

It could easily be cut and done, course the speaking would still be there, that might take some creative editing.

Good work K.M.! :devil:

You are SO right. In fact, you could start that ENDING Section at 2:01; because 1:54-2:01 just overlaps the with the end (the trumpet solo) of the beginning section.

:

I'm not sure,because in the beginning section the trumpet player repeats that passage with an extra note,so they couldn't overlap.But your right it adds nothing since it is in fact played anyways.

K.M.

Alright,I'll sent the reconstructed edit of the new theme to whoever will upload it so anyone here can easily download it.

Saxebabe is right,now it synchs perfectly

K.M.

Alright,I'll sent the reconstructed edit of the new theme to whoever will upload it so anyone here can easily download it.

I've made an edit of the new theme, based on King Mark's and saxbabe409's timings, and have uploaded it to the ever-growing page devoted to the MSNBC broadcast:

http://members.cox.net/thx99/williams.htm

eeeek,no!.You missed 5 seconds and mine sounds much better.I'll send it to you so if you want.

but the reception on your TV seems better than Saxebabe's

K.M.

The Definition of True JWfandom.The difference between a true fan and a casual fan lies not in wether you prefer "superficial" blockbuster type scores associated to a popular franchise or a higher percieved level of sophistication found in artsy dramatic type scores,but in the people interested in a barely audible,one minute piece of new Williams music burried under narration and recorded from a static filled TV broadcast.

K.M.Who has spoken

I have not even listened to any of this.

:devil:

so how can you call yourself a true fan when you know there's this 1 minute of music from Williams you have not heard.

K.M./

I don't think we have John Williams bumpers here during the Olympics.

Although I did sit through a large portion of the opening ceremonies to the 2002 Olympics, just to see Williams conduct. :P

I would just like to say that I saw the feature and I was fascinated at the process, but was slightly disappointed to hear the same concert piece we've all heard before. Yet it was nice to see how it all was made behind the scenes, to hear new music, things like that. I am a collector of several of Williams' soundtracks as well as news themes, and I wish some of my fellow collectors would somehow manage to leak the new NBC themes. I have imagined several new variations on the theme, such as the "NBC News At Sunrise" with the B section of the Mission theme as opposed to the A section at the end of the theme, a brass only fanfare of the "Pulse of Events" signature for "Meet The Press", and possibly a combination of the Mission with Williams' Olympic themes or other NBC News themes.

Here's my official collection of dismal sounding recordings I need a better version of:

Satellite Celebration original

Fanfare for a Festive Occasion

Variation on Happy Birthday

Scherzo for Today

Fugue for the Changing Times

Esplanade Overture

2004 Olympic Escape from Naboo

2004 New NBC Brokaw Theme

E.T. Botanicus(Universal theme ride music)

K.M.