Happy Anniversary, Star Trek VI!

Lurker

Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country opened on December 6, 1991. It has been 13 years since the entire original cast of Star Trek appeared together in an original adventure on the big screen. It doesn't feel like it's been that long.

2098435655.jpg

Neil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the Original Series, but I have always enjoyed the original casts' movies, and VI is my favorite of the bunch. :)

I remember when this came out, I was in 6th grade. 13 years...

John- feeling a little older

A very good movie indeed. It plays like one of the best episodes the show ever had (of course, all the good Trek movies do). Some of it always struck me as less than believable- the makeup work is not great, and the scene at the end seems a bit out of place, especialy having Rene Auberjonois for such a small part. And I hate Kim Cattral in the movie. But David Warner and Christopher Plummer are such a joy to watch, the crew is solid as usual, the score's fantastic, smoothing over the things that don't quite work (those main titles are so fantastic in setting the stage for the movie).

In the end, I'll always remember the movie for the trailer that I always saw before watching my tape of Naked Gun 2 1/2 (I was a big Naked Gun fan), but I'll always look at it fondly as the first Trek realted thing I really loved (something that has gradualy grown over the years).

And of course, it is great to quote . The Shakespeare is a great touch, Plummer's "Cry havoc, and let slip the Dogs of War!" is an all time classic.

So many gems:

Scotty: "Mark my word, she did not shed one bloody tear."

Spock: "Hardly conclusive, Mr. Scott, since Klingons have no tear ducts."

Kirk: "I'm going to sleep this off. Please let me know if there's some other way we can screw up tonight."

Chang: "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

Kirk: "Note to Galley- Romulan Ale no longer to be served at diplomatic functions."

Chekov: "Guess who's coming to dinner."

Scott: "...then we're dead."

Spock: "I've been dead before."

Spock: "The lieutenant was the first Vulcan to be graduated at the top of her class."

Kirk: "You must be very proud."

Lieutenant Valeris: "I don't believe so."

McCoy: "She's a Vulcan all right."

Kirk: "Spock, you want to know something? Everybody's Human."

Spock: "I find that remark....insulting."

Chang: "I am constant as the northern star..."

McCoy: "I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

Spock: "There is the old Vulcan proverb: 'Only Nixon could go to China.' "

the scene at the end seems a bit out of place, especialy having Rene Auberjonois for such a small part.

He was not in the theatrical release.

Neil

He was not in the theatrical release.

Neil

Well, he really sticks out on the DVD.

Morlock- who has not seen First Contact or Insurrection, or the director's cut of TMP.

No, he sticks out because I would assume Rene Auberjonois would either have a bigger role or a cameo, not such a tiny part.

Are you kidding?

No, I am not.

No' date=' he sticks out because I would assume Rene Auberjonois would either have a bigger role or a cameo, not such a tiny part.

quote']

If I believe DS9 was not on at that point. Although I've been wrong before.

It was a nice touch I think, we did not expect him as a villian cause we knew him from Trek 4.

From IMDB:

According to Nicholas Meyer, Brock Peters found Admiral Cartwright's words during the briefing scene to be so offensive he needed several takes to get them all out. In a similar vein, Nichelle Nichols refused to utter the joke line "Guess who's coming to dinner?" - an intentional reference to the famous film about racism which is heard prior to the Klingons' visit to Enterprise. The line was instead given to Chekov.

Personally I wish they spend a bit more time on why Valaris became a traitor, since it's the first time a Vulcan was ever seen on the wrong side.

Personally I wish they spend a bit more time on why Valaris became a traitor, since it's the first time a Vulcan was ever seen on the wrong side.

It's the muder mystery, with one new character! Gee, I wonder who it could be?

Neil

It's the muder mystery, with one new character! Gee, I wonder who it could be?

Neil

Indeed, it's a pity they did not go with their original plans and used Saavik.

The fact that Valaris was Vulcan did make her a less likely suspect though.

They already recast Saavik once, why couldn't they have done it a second time? Enough years had passed for people not to notice too much.

The Saavik plans would have probably made it a better movie, especially with her relationship to David and the Capt.

"I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I could never forgive them for the death of my boy."

"They're animals."

"Jim, there is an historic opportunity here."

"Don't believe them. Don't trust them."

"They're dying."

"Let them die!"

and one of Mr. Scott's best lines....

"That Klingon bitch killed her father."

Justin - Who thinks this is definatly one of the best Trek films ever.

"I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I could never forgive them for the death of my boy."

Actually it's "I can never forgive them for the death of my boy". That's what he says when he's dictating his log at the beginning. However, when he's on trial, the recording says, "I've never been able to forgive them for the death of my boy". Oops!

Neil