PENELOPE coming next from FSM

Dr. Know

Just read a post on Filmscoremonthly.com's discussion boards... the next FSM releases will include Johnny's score from PENELOPE, previously released in an lp-rerecording on Chapter III. What do you think?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think?

I think I will buy it.

Neil

I conquer.

Morlock- who plans on ordering this, the new Rosza score, and Mutiny on The Bounty.

Hmmm..I dunno.Listened to the Chapter III one about 2 times...don't remenber anything really noteworthy and no cue whatsoever even made it to a compilation disk.Craps,were getting a lot of Williams releases,only not the ones I'm interested in...

K.M.

As guilty pleasures go, Penelope has a couple tracks I like, although I'd probably have to get this regardless. I'll confess to liking the 60s comedy meets Spanish music flavor of La Bostella and Sabada. The former, especially, is actually a nice little tune - I like to play a slowed down version on the piano and pretend he wrote it for something other than another wacky 60s comedy.

- Adam

As well as the Tsunami release.

Othervise, great, I they will do a expanded release.

What Tsunami release? Tsunami only booleged Fitzwilly and How To Steal a Million. A CD-R bootleg did existed, that also included Not With My Wife, You Don't.

And yes, I'll buy it, though I hope it comes with more muisc, or with another score, à lá Fitzwilly/The Long Goodbye.

FSM has set up a page for its upcoming PENELOPE / BACHELOR IN PARADISE 2-CD release, including a slew of sound clips:

http://www.screenarchives.com/fsm/detailCD.cfm?ID=318

Quoting the site:

"Penelope was released on LP at the time of the film; however, except for the title song, the album was entirely re-recorded, emphasizing the film's source music. Disc one of this 2CD set features the never-before-released original soundtrack to Penelope followed by the complete LP program. Additional original soundtrack cues to Penelope (outtakes and alternates) are located at the end of disc two, making this the complete Penelope presentation."

No artwork is available at this time, though.

Just ordered mine too. I guess the l.p. version is what we got on the Penelope/Let's Make Waves CD a few years back. It'll be nice to hear the whole score. I love this one, I think it's about the nearest Williams came to a strerotypical Austin Powers score!

:thumbup:

"Penelope was released on LP at the time of the film; however, except for the title song, the album was entirely re-recorded, emphasizing the film's source music. Disc one of this 2CD set features the never-before-released original soundtrack to Penelope followed by the complete LP program. Additional original soundtrack cues to Penelope (outtakes and alternates) are located at the end of disc two, making this the complete Penelope presentation."

This article has me sold and it is indeed a splendid surprise! The Fury-type treatment, with album AND film versions in one? That's the way it should always be done, record companies! I will be most pleased by this, and want this kind of treatment for EVERY Williams score. Rarely, no, never am I disappointed by FSM and Varese's deluxe/expanded/1st time releases for previously unreleased score treatments. And of course... it isn't another new Harry Potter score! WAHOO! My only problem is... why is it compiled with a non-Williams score in a two CD set? Not that I have enything against Henry Mancini, it's just that it makes it a tad bit less affordable for poor CJ. Regardless, I'll get it. :|

• 4 weeks later...

just arrived yesterday and I have to say it's wonderful to have both the album tracks and the film score tracks!

Great music and in many cases the Williamsy sound we love him (at least me) for. And also the jazzy tracks are great, a very easy listening experience.

This album is it really worth to buy it, not to forget the Mancini score which is also a very lovely score!

Nemesis ;)

;) - Mildred's Mission from Penelope

• 1 year later...

Never Heard of it. Is it good? I read somewhere from the net that it is one of John Williams best 60's score? I was wondering if someone here who has it can be able to make a 30 second preview of his soundtrack album in mp3 format so I can listened to it. That would be great.

Did John Williams really compose that song called "penelope"?

Does someone has the lyrics?

I am quite fond of the score. I think these super-deluxe FSM albums are over-kill, but there is good material to be found. How can you not like that slinky theme for the Hungarian couple (Sabadaba and something)?

Not as good as Guide to The Married Man, but I think it is certainly superior to Fitzwilly. How that one sold out, I'll never know.

Morlock- unfamiliar with How to Steal A Million

Not as good as Guide to The Married Man, but I think it is certainly superior to Fitzwilly. How that one sold out, I'll never know.  

Morlock- unfamiliar with How to Steal A Million

Maybe FSM has already sold 2000 units of Penelope.

When people see a score with 2000 or less they tend to snatch it up.

Fitzwilly has one of Williams finest songs. And it was coupled with another great work, that unfortunatelly, remains incomplete, the great song-score The Long Goodbye.

'Make Me Rainbows' is one of his best songs, but it's cheapened a bit by him copying it for 'In The Moonlight' from Sabrina. I find The Long Goodbye to be very unsatisfying. Maybe the complete score is interesting, but on the album, it doesn't sound like much. Only one of the versions of the song is interesting.

Form a film music standpoint, The Long Goodbye is a masterpiece. As an album it won't ever work, as becomes to repetetive. Still I love it.

Make me Rainbows is a really great song, with over 20 cover version maded, by the likes of Vic Damone, Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Wilson and many others.

Moonlight does preent some resemblance -- copying is going a bit to far, if you ask me -- and since 1995, as some dozen cover versions already.

• 14 years later...