Somewhere in my mem'ry,

Christmas joys all around me,

Living in my mem'ry,

All of the music,

All of the magic,

All of the fam'ly

Home here with me.

(As printed in the sheet music)

I used to always think that the first line was "Shadows in the window" and not candles.... and was never able to understand why it never sounded like they said "Shadows".

Then I saw the lyrics, and thought of myself as an arse.

Especially more so now, when I think about the fact that a window can't display shadows very well.......

And on the Bette Midler version it includes another verse from Leslie Bricusse

Memories of my childhood

When I was five, six or seven

I would wake when dawn would

Living in X-mas day heaven

Repeat choruse with slight changes that I'm not remembering

- Adam

I used to think it was:

"All of the beauty,

All of the magic,

All of the family home here with me."

I don't feel like an arse, but it makes sense now with the little part for the strings after "all of the music."

Jeff -- who has listened to "Home Alone" all week

Thanks, ChrisAfonso!!!

I always thought it's "Candles in the window," too, but on the OS it sounds way different!!! It's SOMETHING in the window, but it sure as hell isn't candles. Is it shadows? What is it???

:?

Listen to it closely... I think it may sound strange because the "Can..." is drowned out a bit by the instruments. You can clearly hear the "dles" which is why I thought it was 'shadows'.

Yeah, you're right . . . but with much imagination.

Just listening to that track to get myself into a Christmassy mood. You know, it's working pretty well.

:thumbup:

Actually, in the context of the movie, "Shadows in the window" works perfectly. Isn't there a scene where Kevin pretends to throw a party to scare of the bandits, and he runs a cardboard cutout around the house on a train. You can clearly see a shadow in the window. Eh?

~Conor

Yes, but I suppose technically those would be silhouettes, not shadows. Speaking of which, I wish "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," which accompanies that scene, was included on the OST. The Home Alone album is one of the rare instances where I don't mind the inclusion of non-score songs, since they add to the strong Christmas atmosphere of the soundtrack.

Ray Barnsbury

I agree. I am constantly in awe of Williams's three Home Alone songs (I'm excluding Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas), Christmas carols every bit as good as the best of them (and far better than most).

I concur!!

I don't mind those songs at all, because they fit just so well!!

I love the conclusion track with the short "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" lyric, leading headfirst into the ....can't think of the name.... but the 'race-through-the-airport-to-catch-the-plane' theme.

Actually, I believe it may be "We're Late". But I may be wrong, it's been proven before. With some ferocity.

I think using "Star of Bethlehem" during the chase scene between Kevin and the cop is an example of JW's "small genius" moments. A sweet melody used to score an action scene. Fun!!

Jeff -- who's going to watch a little bit of it tonight before "Lost"

I also love Star of Bethlehem. I don't know why, but I always skipped the songs. 2 months ago I gave them careful listen and loved them to death. I really didn't know what I was missing. I love all the songs, but Star of Bethlehem is by far my favorite. It's such a different aproach.

I concur!!

I don't mind those songs at all, because they fit just so well!!

I love the conclusion track with the short "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" lyric, leading headfirst into the ....can't think of the name.... but the 'race-through-the-airport-to-catch-the-plane' theme.

Actually, I believe it may be "We're Late". But I may be wrong, it's been proven before.  With some ferocity.

It's called "Trepak," and it's from The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky. ;)

I agree. I am constantly in awe of Williams's three Home Alone songs (I'm excluding Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas), Christmas carols every bit as good as the best of them (and far better than most).

Agreed, except that I would include "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas," the most festive of them all. My favorite is probably "Somewhere in My Memory," though; I'm a sucker for the sentimental. I do love "Star of Bethlehem" as well. Before I even knew about John Williams, I would watch Home Alone as a kid and be thrilled by the "Follow That Kid" portion of the score, where the church is shown accompanied by the outburst of "Star of Bethlehem." It's so perfect, and it was years before I realized that the music was why I liked the scene so much. "Setting the Trap" is another similar instance. That transition from "Carol of the Bells" is just magic.

Holiday Flight!

Ray Barnsbury

Actually, I believe it may be "We're Late". But I may be wrong, it's been proven before.  With some ferocity.

It's called "Trepak," and it's from The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky. :)

It's not actually the Tchaikovski piece, although it certainly sounds like it. Trepak was probably used in the temp track.

- Marc

What have you got against "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas", Morlock???

:)

It's not actually the Tchaikovski piece, although it certainly sounds like it.

I realize that, although, at the very least, it's fair to say that it wouldn't have been written as it was without Tchaikovsky. :)

It's not actually the Tchaikovski piece, although it certainly sounds like it.

I realize that, although, at the very least, it's fair to say that it wouldn't have been written as it was without Tchaikovsky. :)

True. :P

And on the Bette Midler version it includes another verse from Leslie Bricusse

Memories of my childhood

When I was five, six or seven

I would wake when dawn would

Living in X-mas day heaven

This verse is also included in the Vanna White/Tom Bosley duet featured on the CD titled "Santa's Last Ride" (a "musical" story which cobbles together original songs by Bricusse with a few songs from SCROOGE, Williams' "Somewhere in My Memory", and Henry Mancini's "Every Christmas Eve").

Repeat choruse with slight changes that I'm not remembering

Also featured in the White/Bosley version:

Somewhere in my memory

All these dreams live within me,

Deep within my memory,

All of the music,

All of the magic,

All of the family,

Home here with me.

It does not strike me as classic in any way, by far the weakest of the 4 songs.

Does anyone have the re-release of Missouri Breaks? Is it any good?

(Not quite sure how this fits in, but....)

I didn't like it initialy, but I've become really quite fond of it. A lovely score.

It does not strike me as classic in any way, by far the weakest of the 4 songs.

I don't think so. I think "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" is on a par with "We Wish You A Merry Christmas," which is, of course, a classic Christmas Song. I love all 4 Home Alone X'Mas songs equally, perhaps "Star of Bethlehem" slightly more than the others. Merry Christmas!!!

:mrgreen:

The other day we watched Home Alone in Spanish class...In Spanish. :music: But the score was great (hadn't heard it in a while), although I think Somewhere in My Memory was way overused toward the end of the film.

Dalboz (Matt) helped me write another verse for this song for the little kids to sing in their concert. if you search the board you'll find it.

Dalboz (Matt) helped me write another verse for this song for the little kids to sing in their concert.  if you search the board you'll find it.

Have you forgotten "Somewhere in My Memory"?

Neil

Renovia: a la tony soprano: why you breakin' my balls???

NBulk007: Because it's funny

Renovia: why

NBulk007: Forgetting Somewhere in my Memory

NBulk007: It's ironic

Renovia: what do you mean forgetting?

NBulk007: Well you didn't post the additional lyrics, which implies you don't know them.

Renovia: what are you TALKING ABOUT

Renovia: you mean the one's matt helped me write?

NBulk007: Yes

NBulk007: The one I just responded to

Renovia: i don't have them memorized. that was 2 years ago

NBulk007: So Somewhere in my Memory is not somewhere in your memory right now. :D

Renovia: yeahthat is real funny neil

NBulk007: I think it is

another happy example of the moderator picking on people. :|

I just had the pleasure of performing this piece last night, as a pianist with a brass ensemble. There was no singing - it was so much fun, and so beautiful. What fun!

Awesome! I would just love to play this piece in an ensemble, it would bring it to a whole new level.

Ray Barnsbury

Renovia: a la tony soprano:  why you breakin' my balls???

NBulk007: Because it's funny

Renovia: why

NBulk007: Forgetting Somewhere in my Memory

NBulk007: It's ironic

Renovia: what do you mean forgetting?

NBulk007: Well you didn't post the additional lyrics, which implies you don't know them.

Renovia: what are you TALKING ABOUT

Renovia: you mean the one's matt helped me write?

NBulk007: Yes

NBulk007: The one I just responded to

Renovia: i don't have them memorized. that was 2 years ago

NBulk007: So Somewhere in my Memory is not somewhere in your memory right now.  :nono:

Renovia: yeahthat is real funny neil

NBulk007: I think it is

Those words were spoken by me.

Neil