I Think I'm Done

Lurker

I've just suffered through the latest episode of The Simpsons, with special guest Kim Cattral. I skipped watching it Sunday night because the Eagles post game show was on, and frankly I found that more preferable then the idea of sitting through a new Simpsons.

This show is done. Finished. Put a fork in it. I've been watching these since The Tracey Ullman Show. I used to tape them every week. I memorized all of the classic moments. I've been buying the DVDs and they constantly remind me of how great this series was. But now I watch these new episodes and I'm battling my own eyelids. There is nothing funny in this show anymore. The characters are just parodies of themselves and the situations are pointless. I can't stand it anymore.

This is not going to be easy, but then I never thought I'd stop watching new Star Trek and I never thought I'd give up on Star Wars either and it's certainly possible to part company. So I'm saying it. Good-bye Simpsons! It was fun while it lasted.

Neil - who will still probably watch edited classic re-runs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beating a dead horse. Yep. The Simpsons WAS funny until about season 6. Then after that there were a few okay ones.

I used to say that at least the Halloween episodes were always funny, but this year's one was not. For the first time ever!

The Simpsons either needs to die, or change. Maybe age the characters. It's hard to have continuity when everyone stays the same age, yet they refer to things that happened in past episodes.

When Futurama came out, that's when Simpsons started to dwindle in my opinion

Futurama was going to be the reinvention of sorts but it got canceled and simpsons got worse and worse

IMO, the seasons break down down like this:

1-2: The writing and the spark was all there, but the characters, looks, and voices were not yet perfect and not clearly defined.

3-8: Brilliant, amazing, perhaps the finest scripted television in history.

9-11: Good, occaisionaly very good, not too many total duds.

12-14: Here and there there were good episodes (occaisionaly very, very good), but they were getting few and far between.

15-16: Barely a pulse. A good joke every couple of episodes, maybe one episode actually worth remembering (The London episode, but imagine what this would've been in season 6!).

Well, it happens to the best of them. We have about 3-4 more years of the good episodes coming out on DVD, and the old ones still work as well as ever. I was watching some of the old classic Simpsons over the past couple of weeks- Team Homer, Lisa The Iconoclast, Marge Be Not Proud, Homer Badman, Much Apu About Nothing, The Springfield Files, You Only Move Twice, and they're just plain wonderful to watch.

By far the smartest humor that I've seen on TV back when I used to catch some of the episodes. Haven't seen an episode in a long time and it sounds like I'm not missing much.

- Adam

What are people's one or two favorite episodes? Please give a short description - we may not have all memorized episode titles. For me, the best episode ever was the trip to New York. Homer driving the car with the boot still attached is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. I also loved an episode a few seasons ago where it was the same day from Bart's, Lisa's, and Homer's points of view - Homer gets his finger cut off, Lisa goes to the wrong school (parody of Run Lola Run) and Bart is accidentally chased by mobsters.

the best episode ever was the trip to New York. Homer driving the car with the boot still attached is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV.

I had an asthma attack the first time that aired. That bit with the boot was hysterical. One of the top moments ever on that show. Genius!

My favorite episode is "Marge vs. the Monorail".

Neil

One of my favorite moments:

Lisa is getting friendly with a couple of college girls, trying to convince them she is one. Ralphie walks up:

"Hey Lisa. Tomorrow we get to learn what two plus two is!" (Or something to that effect, I can't remember the exact line :mrgreen: )

Lisa: "DRIVE!!!"

As the car speeds away:

Ralphie, with his greatest line ever: "Why do people run away from me?"

John- casual, not regular, Simpsons viewer.

Yes, alas, The Simpsons is long past its time. I have not seen any of the new episodes, but I saw a few from last season, and I didn't think they were funny at all. It's painfull to watch, compared to all the wonderful stuff that's coming out on DVD right now. The old seasons have heart, a spark, a twinkle in their eye, and are just simply hilarious. After over 10 years, episodes from Season 4 for instance still have me laughing out loud. What a shame.

Actually, when Matt Groening made some remark last year, and a newspaper blew that out of proportion into claiming that Groening had said the show was going to end, I was actually relieved. I was very surprised I felt that way, but I just don't see the point anymore. Just finish this thing off, and let us enjoy and cherish the classic episodes.

There are too many greats out there to narrow it down to just two episodes, but I always enjoy "Marge vs. The Monorail" and "Krusty Gets Busted"

- Marc, who thinks South Park's satire has really been edgier and funnier for several years now.

- Marc, who thinks South Park's satire has really been edgier and funnier for several years now.

But how can that be? South Park is just someplace to stop for gas on the way to Buena Vista? :mrgreen:

I guess I have a lot more tolerance for humor than Neil does, but even I didn't like the latest show...the Quimby subplot was all right ("The only thing I'm hiding is this puppy!"), but otherwise, terrible. Like this one part:

[Marge and...whoever start fighting] (this is stupid in its own right)

Homer: Ladies, ladies! There's no need to fight over me.

Marge: We're not!

Homer: Oh, well, then, continue.

...And I didn't laugh. There's no joke.

Another problem is that the shows don't have any "lessons," anymore, it's just "LOOK HOMER'S DOING SOMETHING STUPID!" That used to be a joke, but now it's the entire topic of the show. Well, actually, the focus has shifted from Homer a little recently...but the other characters have become even worse, so I actually prefer the "Homer becomes a flying taxi mafia driver while falling down a flight of stairs" type now.

You people belong in a looney-bin.  The Simpsons is as funny as ever and I hope it goes on until I'm 90.

No offense, but I'm really hoping you are 89.

Neil

Drax, I just got Simpsons Season 5 on DVD and I have been plowing through this set and re-discovering so many classic episodes that it shows the extreme drop in quality that this show has gone through in recent years. If you can't see a difference, that's not my problem.

Neil

No problems exist...if someone doesn't like something, don't watch it! Stop!

I can judge here, because here in Italy The Simpsons are showed every day when I'm working, so it's a lot of time I can't see it! D'oh!

I didn't see the last seasons yet, so maybe that's why I still love it!!

I, too, have to agree with Neil and most............ I haven't found The Simpsons very funny in a long time, and have also stopped watching it. I bought Season 4 on DVD (Don't have any of the others) because I remember that season being particularly hilarious (and yes, Marge Vs. The Monorail is wonderful). I caught an episode not that long ago (don't remember now if it was from this season, or a repeat) but I didn't laugh once. I was waiting for the 'funny' to begin, and it just never did. I sighed, and decided to watch some Bravo show about people leaving cat puke all over their floor and then wait for two annoying women to come over, yell at them, and then clean it up.

That show was funnier than the Simpsons episode that I was watching.

I'll stick with South Park.

The Simpsons are still sort of funny. I mean you don't have any classic moments like, "Aww there's only one can of beer left and it's Bart's." Or "Mono--doh!" Or Homer Thompson. But the part in the episode from a couple of weeks ago when Homer told Bart about the birds and the bees, "Well...it's better they hear it from me now than from their parents when they're old enough."

The Simpsons was funny, is funny, and always will be funny.

You are right....about the early seasons.

It's a great show

"It's" of course being a contraction for "It was".

I hope it continues for a verrrrrrrry long time.

It seems you'll have your wish as FOX seems to only care about running it further into the ground. Creativity and humor ended a long time ago.

If you think it sucks, don't watch it.

I'm not watching the new ones anymore. I'll gladly re-visit my DVD sets because these early years were classics.

If you think it sucks, don't watch it.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."

-Bart Simpson

I think it's still better than a puking cat.

The verdict is still out though on whether new Simpsons episodes are better than a cat with diarrhea.

Neil

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."

-Bart Simpson

LOL

Tell me if this is true. I remember I read somewhere in USA Season 4 DVD came out in June and the Season 5 will be out in the next days, just before Christmas (22th?).

Is this true? :folder:

In Italy we don't have Season 4 DVD. Why we sucks so much? We seems we're always the last in these things :(

In France and Germany they have Season 4 from September or October...we have to wait January instead...

I'd like to say the f word, but I will not.

Tell me if this is true. I remember I read somewhere in USA Season 4 DVD came out in June and the Season 5 will be out in the next days, just before Christmas (22th?).

Is this true?  :folder:

Yes, it is true.