I Think I'm Done

Lurker

I agree with the majority. The Simpsons are dead. The worst part about it is that not only are the new episodes boring, uninspired, pointless and plain not funny, but Network Ten here in Australia repeat the old, better episodes ad nauseum. A typical night on Channel Ten consists of an hour and a half of Simpsons. It's on at least once a day. They had "All Time Greatest Simpsons Episodes" happening in a timeslot. How many All Time Greatest episodes can you choose from 300? At least half are classics, but repeating them so often is just cruel.

I hate Channel Ten for making the episodes lose their magic. I'm probably not going to get the DVDs now.

MM - Who's instead investing in Buffy and Futurama DVDs, which both finished on high notes.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit annoyed; I've only got Season One and half of Season Two of Buffy, and I'm getting the other half of Season Two and part one of Season Three for Christmas. When (if) I get a job I need the rest of them!!

I heard rumors about it...what happened to Futurama?

And how many seasons was made of Futurama?

And how many seasons DVDs of Futurama are already released in the USA?

Here in Italy we only have Seasons 1 and 2, but you know, we only have 1-2-3 of The Simpsons, instead of the 5 already released in the US.

I heard rumors about it...what happened to Futurama?

It was cancelled, but now has a home in re-runs on Cartoon Network's wonderful Adult Swim.

And how many seasons was made of Futurama?

Four.

And how many seasons DVDs of Futurama are already released in the USA?

All of them.

Thanks John, but I have some other question about this:

Why the hell a great show like Futurama was cancelled?

and what's the average of people that see The Simpsons in the USA?

My opinon: it was too brilliantly geeky for it's own good. I think a lot of people just didn't get it.

and what's the average of people that see The Simpsons in the USA?

A lot. ;)

I don't know any exact numbers, but it must still be doing pretty decent for it to still be on the air, despite its obvious decline.

So it's still quite a success?

Altought it doesn't mean it's good or not.

But I still have to understand who and why took the bad idea on day and decided to cancel Futurama. I hope it wasn't Matt Groening.

TJ - Who can't imagine a not-funny Simpson episode (I'm thinking to Homer's voice...both American's and Italian's Homers voices are great)

The only episode I'm not liking are all these "flashback" episodes.

By the way, today I saw on TV an old Simpsons episode. I don't know which season is from, but it was funny. It's when Homer get a monkey called MOJO (A MONKEY ISLAND PARODY IN THE SIMPSONS?!?!?!? WOW!!!) and Lisa and Bart conducted the Kidz Newz inside the Krusty show.

My opinon: it was too brilliantly geeky for it's own good. I think a lot of people just didn't get it.

Couldn't agree more. I love the show generally, but my roommate needs to explain the Trek references. It doesn't generally take a big freak to understand them, but they are rather obscure to a young audiences (one that, like me and unlike my roommate didn't grow up in the 80's).

It took me a while to get into it, but I love the show.

"That's like going to Jerusalem and not going to the Sexateria... Next year in Jerusalem!"

Futurama was cancelled by the Fox Network, presumably due to low ratings.

It took me a while to get into the show too. I didn't start watching it regularly until about a year ago when I caught it on Adult Swim. Some of the references fly over my head too, but I get most of them. I laugh my ass off every time in the ep. on Zoidberg's planet where the national anthem is some of that canned music from the orignal Star Trek series. ROTFLMAO

John- who thinks that the Willy Wonka "Slurm" ep is one of the most brilliant parodies ever. ;)

It took me a while, too, to like Futurama.

I started watching it because it aired in sostituition of The Simpsons, in the same channel, at the same time.

I thinked "I know I probably will like it, since it's from the same creator of the Simpsons", but I didn't like the first episodes I watched.

But then I loved them!! I will buy the complete season DVDs soon, but I need more money!

As John said, Futurama was cancelled by Fox. Why remains a complete mystery. There is no sense at all. While there were only four seasons produced, constant changes in scheduling caused the series to be spread into 5 broadcast seasons. The fifth season is a mish-mash of leftovers from seasons 4 and 3, and I think there's even a leftover episode from season 2 in it.

The DVDs contain the four production seasons, with the episodes in the order in which they were produced. Sure, it's the epitome of all geekdom, but it's also funny as hell. The DVD commentaries are a riot as well.

Oh, and John, I agree with you on the "slurm" episode (Fry and the Slurm Factory, season 1). The 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory aired on TV Sunday, and after watching it, I immediately popped in the episode on DVD. It's hilarious.

Grunka-lunka-dunka-dee-doo

We've got a friendly warning for you

Grunka-lunka-dunka-dee-dasis

The secret of Slurm is on need-to-know basis

Asking questions in school is a great way to learn

If you try that stuff here you might get your legs broke

We once found a dead guy face down in the Slurm

It could easily happen again to you, folks

So keep your head down, and keep your mouth shut

Grunka-lunka-lunka-dunka-dee-dut!

- Marc, ;)

So you're telling me Futurama was cancelled because of the low success? Low average of people who used to watch it?

Futurama was poorly handled by FOX. It's almost as if they wanted it to fail. The time slot for the show was Sundays at 7. In the US (at least on the east coast) football games would run late and delay the show. For weeks on end the series wouldn't even be shown. That's no way to handle a series. That's the reason why so many un-aired episodes were able to be shown to make up the "fifth" season. Futurama clearly needed a later timeslot. 7 pm is not "prime time" and it's terrible for an adult oriented show like Futurama. It's clear FOX never knew what it had or how to handle it.

I laugh my ass off every time in the ep. on Zoidberg's planet where the national anthem is some of that canned music from the orignal Star Trek series.roflmao.gif

That "canned" music was composed by Gerald Fried for the Star Trek episode "Amok Time". It can be found on this album.

cov-tos2.jpg

Neil

They used that fried can music on Family Guy even when they're not making a nod to Star Trek. Of course, it's usually when TNG-vet Ron Jones is scoring.

(Anybody heard if Jones will be back for Season 4? Hopefully he doesn't get snubbed like he did with TNG...)

Gervais Delighted To Be Writing 'The Simpsons'

Golden Globe-winning comic Ricky Gervais has fulfilled his lifetime's ambition - he is writing an episode of The Simpsons. The British Office star will also voice a character in the popular animation show, which will be made next year, although he is keeping the episode's plot a secret. Gervais says, "I've got the rough idea. This is the most intimidating project of my career. The Simpsons is the greatest TV show of all time. I can only make it slightly worse. When I got into comedy my greatest ambition was to get one joke on The Simpsons. I may as well retire now."

One episode that should be worth tuning in to.

Huh, I've never seen a Star Trek movie or show, but I love Futurama...clearly there was more to it than geeky references.

Maybe you are so nerdy that you don't need to SEE Star Trek in order to get the refrences. :|

Or MAYBE there's more to it than just geeky refrences....

Justin

• 3 weeks later...

While the R2 release of Season 5 is still several months away (it arrives sometime around next March here), according to TV Tome Season 6 is scheduled to arrive on DVD in August of this year in the United States.

- Marc

• 1 month later...

This afternoon, right after work, I watched an old Simpsons episode, while having lunch. They're showing some very old episode in these days.

The episode today was "Homer the heretic", I think from Season 4, episode 9F01. I just noticed something JW related, I think.

When God open the roof of the Simpson house, we can hear some music very similar to the music played when the Ark is opened, in Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Is that true? Anyone else had noticed that?

I know it's not the only John Williams reference by Alf Clausen (the scene of Bart running with Homer's coin's jar is another Indy parody).

The Season 4 DVDs set will come out at the beginning of March here, so I can't check it out now.

That's one of my all-time favorites. When I had nothing to do a while back I popped that DVD in and watched it again. :)

Never noticed the JW reference though. I always thought it was just your usual "heavenly choir."

I'm still surprised Italy is so far behind with the DVDs. 8O Season 5 arrives here sometime next month, and it's been out in the States since Christmas.

- Marc

Yeah Marc, re-read my posts in this same thread...Italy is always the last in these stuff.

And re-watch that moment. That choir is really similar to the Ark Theme choir! It's just a 10-15 seconds moment, but I almost jump on my chair! I didn't remember this smalll particular!

Mirko - starting to work again in less than 6 hours...so goodnight world... 8O

• 3 weeks later...

Marc...I got the Season 4 DVD-set today! Woo-hoo!!!

And, the first episode I watched was "Homer the Heretic", and now I can confirm tha't really similar to the Ark Theme!

Maybe I will rip that little cue (using Stefancos' great and usefull tutorial).

Are we in Italy in late with the sets? :)

Did you noticed the Ark reference then?

I think that little piece is not identical, but very similar. And in the same atmosphere, since in both cases God is the protagonist. :P

Maybe it's not intentional, but yeah, probably is the devine strings and choir thing!

Oh, and Neil, I'm just curious...even if you don't like The Simpsons anymore, do you will buy the DVDs anyways? Or you will buy them only untill like season 10?

You've always hated my tutorial before?

LOL

Don't start that again, please!

We've already discussed that before in another thread, if you like to fight again about this, bump that thread and let the was begin! :)

Neil, I'm just curious...even if you don't like The Simpsons anymore, do you will buy the DVDs anyways? Or you will buy them only untill like season 10?

No, I won't buy them all. That would be foolish. Not sure where I'll stop though. Maybe after "You Only Move Twice".

Neil

Maybe I will change my mind and agree with you, but since we have only 4 sets...I don't see the day of the 10th Season release date to be anytime soon.

You Americans are going to have the Season 6 set soon, we just have the 4th 3 days ago...

I have yet to see the newer seasons. I don't even know how many seasons I saw...but I'm still loving them. So I can't judge the reasons of why the show should die, bad sadly, I think I will agree, since everybody agree with that. :)

Anyway, let's enjoy at least the Seasons from 1 to 6!

And in which season was "You Only Move Twice"?

I'm not even going to bother trying to guess when us Europeans will get it.

I'm not even going to bother trying to guess when us Italians will get it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I watched an episode from season 14 yesterday, and i was shocked how bad it was. I've seen some episodes from the last seasons on the internet, but this one I hadn't seen yet. The ones I had seen weren't hilarious and nowhere near the quality of the show's glory days, but there still were a few jokes. But for the first time ever, I genuinely felt a Simpsons episode, well, sucked. :joy:

The animation was poor, the writing was rickety, and there was only one mediocre joke. Even the voices felt off (Homer sounded weird and Nelson sounded like a fourteen-year-old). Maybe it's because I've recently watched the first four seasons, but man oh man, this show has slided.

The episode was 'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky, BTW.

- Marc, :D

I still have to see the show from, I think, Season 8 or something. I don't know when I stopped watching The Simpsons. Here they play it everyday at 2:30 PM, and I stopped watching them in 1999, when I started to work and I was working at the time they were on TV. But I don't remember which season they were playing in '99...so I think I still have at least 2-3 good Simpsons Season to discover. Then I can change my opinion, like Americans seems to do. That's very sad, because it's not the end they deserve. Personally, I still like them, but that's because I didn't see the newer seasons yet.

Luckily we will always have Season 1-8...when they started to suck really? Season 9? 10?