Frederick Fennell Dead at 90

Lurker

One of the greatest conductors of our time, Federick Fennell, has passed away. You can read a little about him here. I can easily recommend one of his albums though, filled with great music and superb sound! This is one of my favorites!

CTEL-60639-SA.jpg

Neil

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this on Tuesday and just couldn't bring myself to start a post. That would make it too real.... but now that someone else has, I guess it's really happening.

The radio station I listened to in high school used to play 15 minutes of marches every morning, right when my alarm went off. And invariably 2 or 3 of them were "The Eastman Wind Ensemble conducted by Frederick Fennell." Since then I have heard many of his other recordings and am consistently amazed by their quality.

What to say? He was a genius. He will be missed.

In wind ensemble conducting, he was KING, unparalled in the band world. This hits pretty hard. I have a very special place in my heart for wind band (since saxophones aren't used in orchestra often).

One of my favorite wind ensemble CD's is his "Stars and Stripes Forever" with the Eastman Wind Ensemble, it's amazing, it has many famous marches the Boston Pops have recorded on patriotic stuff, and some staples of American wind band literture.

This is the end of an era for wind band, sadly this is one of a few greats getting up there, that will forever leave a hole in the wind world when they pass.

Another one is Frank Battisti, age 72, who I had the pleasure of sitting under a couple of years ago for a special performance (he was frail at the time). He is another amazing wind conductor, who wrote a textbook used in many college conducting courses today. Yet another is W. Francis McBeth, who has composed many great works for wind band and is a well-known conductor.

Fennell was the leader and pioneer in the wind band movement, founding the Eastman Wind Ensemble in 1952, recording 22 albums with them on Mercury, and conducting the Cleveland Symphonic Winds and world-renowned Tokyo Kosei Wind Ensemble. His "Lincolnshire Posy" by Percy Grainger is truly a must have, a simply amazing piece, that can be a conducting nightmare due to its heavy reliance on freeform conducted cues.

He only stood about 5 feet tall, but stood out with his wild white hair and sparkling demeanor. He continued working right up to the end, conducting only weeks ago, and with concerts at various colleges scheduled for the spring.

You can read more about him here and listen to NPR's Remembrance for him --> In Memoriam - Maestro Frederick Fennell

The Washington Post's remembrance article Frederick Fennell, 90 - Conductor, Woodwind Pioneer Dies

Minnesota Star Tribune http://www.startribune.com/stories/466/5127698.html

This is truly a sad day in the conducting world. Maestro Fennell, you have contributed so much to wind music, and your teachings will live on.

Rest In Peace - you will you were a larger than life presence that will be sorely missed, and always fondly remembered.