• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this face, which earned a mother's fear and loathing,

a mask, my first unfeeling scrap of clothing,

Pity comes to late, turn around and face your fate,

an eternity of this, before your eyes,

Pitiful creature of darkness

what kind of life have you known,

Considering he hasn't had a hit since Phantom I'm not surprised he's stooping to write a sequel. I'm sure it'll be bloody awful music with bloody awful Sarah Brightman screeching over the top.

I believe the sequel musical is not following the novel The Phantom in Manhattan too closely. And the title of it will be Phantom: Once Upon Another Time, apparently. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this turns out; it could well be a disaster, but if it even borders on the brilliance of the original, I'll be a happy campber

Considering he hasn't had a hit since Phantom I'm not surprised he's stooping to write a sequel. I'm sure it'll be bloody awful music with bloody awful Sarah Brightman screeching over the top.

Is that true? I thought quite a few of his shows had been successful (financially, that is). Though I'm not exactly looking forward to this sequel. I'm not even sure if I like the original that much. It certainly has some great moments, but I'm not sure that it's a great show at all.

Hey, this is very good news. At last, that small fibre of reputation still attached to Lloyd Webber's name will be disintegrated and he will be revealed as the greedy hack who looks like a train wreck that he is.

yeah actually he has.

But he's like John Williams all his great works are in the past.

Hey, this is very good news. At last, that small fibre of reputation still attached to Lloyd Webber's name will be disintegrated and he will be revealed as the greedy hack who looks like a train wreck that he is.

Not a Lloyd Webber fan, then? ;) I think those "search for a star" reality TV shows he did might have already done that.

I love Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Tell Me on a Sunday, and some of his other stuff. I hate Joseph and most of Cats (especially Cats because of how he butchered some of those great poems). I should hate Aspects of Love as well, but I don't, because Michael Ball was in it. As I said I haven't made my mind up about Phantom, though there are definitely parts that I like.

I'll probably see his new show, though, I have no idea why since it's almost certainly going to be rubbish. Wonder if he'll cast it by reality TV.

Is anyone familiar with Drum Corps International? In 1989, the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps won the world championships with a powerful and moving Phantom of the Opera production. Certainly one of the best DCI shows ever, and I highly recommend experiencing the best of DCI. Web streams and DVDs are available. Better yet, you can see the drum corps competitions live.

Check out the dci website.

Is anyone familiar with Drum Corps International? In 1989, the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps won the world championships with a powerful and moving Phantom of the Opera show. Certainly one of the best shows ever, and I highly recommend experiencing the best of DCI. Web streams and DVDs are available. Better yet, you can see the drum corps competitions live.

Check out the dci website.

I am!!! That was a great show - one of those change the way we think about drum corp shows. I liked the way they marched that one hole in the drill to represent the Phantom. Totally cool...

Phantom of the Opera is a great musical, but the concept of a sequel to it should be hung with a Punjab Lasso

Not a Lloyd Webber fan, then? :) I think those "search for a star" reality TV shows he did might have already done that.

I love Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Tell Me on a Sunday, and some of his other stuff. I hate Joseph and most of Cats (especially Cats because of how he butchered some of those great poems). I should hate Aspects of Love as well, but I don't, because Michael Ball was in it. As I said I haven't made my mind up about Phantom, though there are definitely parts that I like.

No, I agree with you (except for Tell Me on a Sunday, which I've never heard). I think Aspects of Love is a cute little score with horrendous lyrics but it's not without its charm. I even find redeeming qualities in Sunset Boulevard, although it was the least creative adaptation one could possibly do (one wonders what Stephen Sondheim's approach was, as he wrote a few songs before humbly giving up). But Cats, Jeeves, Woman in White... are insulting in their simplicity, their corniness, their lack of originality and their utter disrespect for the value of creative innovation. He wrote them clearly with the mind of an entrepreneur, not an artist.

And don't get me started on Phantom. Pompous, tacky, pedantic; retarded characters who get zero development, an uneven plot, an insultingly sentimental tone that insists to get itself seriously... And then they just slap a tragic tone to it and let that justify everything else.