The Phantom of the Opera

Unlucky Bastard

It would seem this topic needs to be brought to life. :sigh:

Guess i'll start and HOPEFULLY someone out there is a phantom of the opera fan and will continue... er, make that " Phan"

I first saw the play in 1995 or 96 and went nuts over it. ALthough the ending did make me :crymore:, it was amazing. Phantom of the Opera is what got me interested in musical theatre ( no, i'm not gay.. i've read the posts lol I know what to expect here :lick: ) Can't say I was all that impressed with the film. They seriously needed a stronger cast for the leads. However, I DID like the 25th anniversary performance. That made up for the film by a long shot. Anyone else? :drool: Anyone?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the play in Dallas a long time ago, loved it. had the CDs before that,

Looking forward to seeing the sequel but not sure how or why it exists when the deformity also robbed him the sins of the flesh.

Saw the play when it came to Pittsburgh two Septembers ago. It was spectacular. Of course, I've been familiar with the CDs long before that, and long before going to see Joel Schumacher's flick back in 2004 or so.

Saw the play in Dallas a long time ago, loved it. had the CDs before that,

Looking forward to seeing the sequel but not sure how or why it exists when the deformity also robbed him the sins of the flesh.

I believe you refer to the " joys of the flesh" line. And yes, based on that, the sequel goes against the original. It just seemed like an excuse for lloyd webber to get another shot at a success again by going to the last source he had any success with. Just my opinion. Don't know why else he'd make LOVE NEVER DIES. The ending to Phantom of the Opera was fine as it was. There doesn't need to be a sequel.

I think it's brilliant. I like much of Webber's stuff (although not all) and veer more towards contemporary musicals like this. I don't really like oldfashioned Hollywood musicals.

Saw it in Chicago back in high school. Saw the movie treatment, too. I have to give the movie props for fixing alot of the plot problems - although I had no idea that the Phantom was from Scotland.

The "joys of the flesh" line could also mean that the Phantom had already accepted the conclusion that his deformed face was the reason he never found a woman brave or compassionate enough to make love with. Not necessarily that his deformity extended to his hardware, rendering him impotent, physically unable to perform.

His plan was to get inside of Christine's head, make her fall in love with her angel of music, and then assume the role, ready to be her loving husband. He just went about it totally the wrong way.

I have the sequel on album but it hasn't made my listening round yet.

As for other ALW, I enjoy Phantom and JCS the most. The others I can take or leave, mostly leave. The other musicals I enjoy are not ALW: Les Mis, Jekyll & Hyde (the original concept album), Grease, Manalamancha, etc.

I too just watched the 25th anniversary performance - public broadcasting in the States had it on recently as a fundraising program - and thought it was a brilliant staging. The leads in the roles of Phantom, Christine and Raoul all were excellent.

The only time I've seen the musical in person was during it's run at the Pantages Theatre in Toronto, back in 1995. It was the first time I'd ever seen a live performance of that caliber, and it blew me away. I'd had the original London cast 2-CD set, so I knew the music before going in. But I didn't expect the amount of cool effects and stage trickery that was employed.

The first act was always my favorite, but for some reason I've recently taken to the discordant music of the Phantom's Don Juan in the second half.

However, the song "Phantom of the Opera," has always seemed out-of-place with the 80s synthesizer back beat. Great song, but it just stands out from the rest of the material.

The "joys of the flesh" line could also mean that the Phantom had already accepted the conclusion that his deformed face was the reason he never found a woman brave or compassionate enough to make love with. Not necessarily that his deformity extended to his hardware, rendering him impotent, physically unable to perform.

His plan was to get inside of Christine's head, make her fall in love with her angel of music, and then assume the role, ready to be her loving husband. He just went about it totally the wrong way.

I have the sequel on album but it hasn't made my listening round yet.

As for other ALW, I enjoy Phantom and JCS the most. The others I can take or leave, mostly leave. The other musicals I enjoy are not ALW: Les Mis, Jekyll & Hyde (the original concept album), Grease, Manalamancha, etc.

Jekyll and Hyde???? I admit the concept album was good. But the album's made after it... even the broadway one... EWWwwwwwwwwwww

I too just watched the 25th anniversary performance - public broadcasting in the States had it on recently as a fundraising program - and thought it was a brilliant staging. The leads in the roles of Phantom, Christine and Raoul all were excellent.

The only time I've seen the musical in person was during it's run at the Pantages Theatre in Toronto, back in 1995. It was the first time I'd ever seen a live performance of that caliber, and it blew me away. I'd had the original London cast 2-CD set, so I knew the music before going in. But I didn't expect the amount of cool effects and stage trickery that was employed.

The first act was always my favorite, but for some reason I've recently taken to the discordant music of the Phantom's Don Juan in the second half.

However, the song "Phantom of the Opera," has always seemed out-of-place with the 80s synthesizer back beat. Great song, but it just stands out from the rest of the material.

THANK YOU. yes, the title song seems out of place with the rest of the score. Plus with the movie and the 25th anniversary, Webber needs to back off on the electric guitar towards the end

I thought that by pointing out I enjoy the excellent concept album, I wouldn't have to mention that I totally disregard the subsequent albums, the Broadway version, the stage renditions, and anything that the Hoff was in.

I thought that by pointing out I enjoy the excellent concept album, I wouldn't have to mention that I totally disregard the subsequent albums, the Broadway version, the stage renditions, and anything that the Hoff was in.

oh i know, just thought I'd throw that in... Plus, the HOFF in a musical? That was the second bad idea i've ever heard related to a musical. The other was Paul Stanley playing the Phantom.

I'm not a huge fan of the show. I like some of the songs from it and I would probably say its my favourite of Andrew Lloyd Webbers works. He is a competent composer for musical theatre but I wouldn't say he's the best. He is well suited to pieces of music which are not in the classical or opera styles. He is a pop composer. I have admiration for the show for doing so well but its not up my street. I have also heard great stories about it from the singer Barry Clark, who featured as the auctioneer and member of the ensemble in the original London cast. I worked with him in a musical at the end of last summer and he said it was a wonderful experience to have been a part of the show.

I think that if you want to go searching for a great musical look at Les Miserables, Into The Woods or Sweeney Todd. Stephen Sondheim is my favourite composer of musical theatre as he really knows his craft.

Another great musical is The Producers by Mel Brooks. His musical adaptation of Young Frankenstein is also worth a listen, both are rich in story and songs.

Another great musical is The Producers by Mel Brooks. His musical adaptation of Young Frankenstein is also worth a listen, both are rich in story and songs.

The actual films they are based on are far and far better.

I can't stand the musical film version of The Producers!

Shame on you! Mel Brooks is God!!

Shame on you! Mel Brooks is God!!

Mel Brooks is indeed God. I might get shot for saying this but I found the original version of The Producers rather dull. I love Young Frankenstein though, the musicals are just stand alone pieces from the originals. They are not meant to be better or worse really.

• 9 years later...

I had a pleasure of attending a performance of this at Her Majesty's Theatre in London last weekend. I always liked the music but never had a chance to witness the actual performance. Absolutely loved the experience.

By the way, here is a cool symphonic suite arranged by The Orville's Andrew Cottee that appeared on the recent Symphonic Suites album that came out last month:

Karol

This is one of my favorite pieces! In general, I really like different plays, especially Shakespeare. Unfortunately, I haven't seen so many good productions, so often I just re-read the play as an additional reading or find essays on Twelfth Night on the Internet. It is always interesting for me to read and find out the opinions of other people about my favorite literary works.