Original Themes by John Williams

Josh500

Maybe (probably) this has been discussed before on this site, but do you think Patrick Doyle will reuse any of the JW-material in GoF??? Even if it is just the Hedwig's Theme, it would be nice . . . then JW gets a credit like in JP3 or Jaws 3 -- "Original Themes by John Williams."

I think to hear a reprise of Dobby's Theme or Fawkes the Phoenix or Moaning Myrtle in GoF is too much to hope for . . .

:thumbup:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect, as do most people probably, that Hedwig's Theme will be in the score, at least in the opening as it always has been. I agree with you that the use of any other previous themes is doubtful, especially since JW seems to have discarded so many of them himself for PoA. It's unfortunate, as I really would have enjoyed hearing Fawkes the Phoenix during the graveyard scene.

Ray Barnsbury

I agree with you that the use of any other previous themes is doubtful, especially since JW seems to have discarded so many of them himself for PoA.  It's unfortunate, as I really would have enjoyed hearing Fawkes the Phoenix during the graveyard scene.

Ray Barnsbury

JW CREATED many new themes (i.e. for Sirius Black and Harry's parents), but I don't think he DISCARDED any of his older themes. It's just that in PoA neither Fawkes nor Dobby nor Moaning Myrtle makes an appearance. If JW were to score GoF, I'm sure those themes would get a reprisal.

I have to admit, though, I'm curious as to what Doyle would come up with for Fawkes the Phoenix. (Not that he would ever be a match for JW.)

What I meant is that he didn't use several themes he could've, for better or for worse, like Harry's Theme, Voldemort's Theme, Hogwarts Forever, the Quidditch Fanfare, etc. I don't fault him for it, I just think that when Williams himself saw fit to create such a new soundscape for the series, it's not likely that a different composer will revert back to many themes from the first two films.

Ray Barnsbury

GoF is going to be the lamest of the Potter movies*

K.M.

*An Official Prediction by King Mark

The movie itself should be great. Mugglenet once had a part of the script on the website, and it sounded like good dialogue and camera work. More Cuaron-ish than Columbus-ish, thank goodness.

As for the music, I'm very disappointed thay are using that dumb censored Jarvas Cocker, and I hope those songs are just for the Yule Ball. I'm excited to hear what Doyle does with the score, though. I wish WB would issue a friggin' statement about whether or not the Cocker songs are just for the ball.

~Sturgis

GoF is going to be the lamest of the Potter movies*  

K.M.  

*An Official Prediction by King Mark

:roll:

Based on what, exactly? Williams' lack of involvement? No, that's not narrow-minded at ALL.

No, I think there's some truth to that, though. Williams's participation usually enhances the overall quality of a movie (because of his status as well as his musical ingenuity) and his absence from the GoF project will be greatly felt, I think. I look forward to the movie, of course, but not as much as I would if it had been scored by JW.

:P

Okay, a score is a vital part of the film, but it's not exactly like there's going to be no score at all. We know that Doyle is involved, and he's smart enough to use Hedwig's Theme somewhere in the score. He's also trained at orchestral writing, so it's not like he'll arrange the score for two dogs and a cat coughing up hairballs.

It's not like he'll arrange the score for two dogs and a cat coughing up hairballs.

That would be perfect to represent Sirius in dog form or Crookshanks!

~Sturgis, being very sarcastic