WOTW: I have a bad feeling about this...

Sandor

As was mentioned in another thread already, it is quite disturbing that Williams name is not attached to the teaser trailer of War Of The Worlds released this week.

I know what you guys must be thinking: "Ah, come on! It's just a teaser! Ofcourse Williams will be involved!"

Really?

So how come other teaser trailers for Steven Spielberg films DID HAVE Williams credited for the film score even when the earliest trailers were released?

Since the post production and release dates of both Revenge Of The Sith and War Of The Worlds are almost ..... (ah fuck! I want to write simultaniously, but I can't figure out the spelling!).... isn't it obvious that Williams may not be able to write the score since he is already being assigned to Star Wars?

Williams simply doesn't like conflicting schedules and rarely writes two scores at the same time.

I'm worried you guys! I know Spielberg is going after Hans Zimmer!

I hope you can find some errors in my observations.

Roald

PS I'm back.... WWWHHAAAHHRRAAAAHHGGGGRAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! (ancient Peruan Battle cry)

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the relationship between Spielberg and Williams, I will not worry. I am a direct witness to Spielberg saying, "The only person who will ever score my films is John Williams."

I'm very worried about his lack of credit in the teaser also.Though Williams will probably end up scoring it,it makes it looks like a "lets wait and see how thinks play out" type of things.

And how much say does Tom Cruise have in this...it was Quincy Jones who prevented Williams form scoring The Color Purple by superseeing Spielberg.I can VERY MUCH see Cruise wanting a "cool" Zimmer or MV type score like he had on the The Last Samurai.

What I am sure though is that didn't just "forget" to put his name,or that it didn't fit or something.There's surely a reason.

And weren't we all shocked about Williams not returning to Potter after saying he'd score them all if he could.

And also,Williams name IS attached to Memoirs of Geisha,and that was BEFORE it started filming.

On the other hand,Ricard is maintaining Williams will score this in the front page,so maybe he knows something we don't

K.M.

Vangelis had mentioned in a recent article that he is currently working on another film but is not supposed to talk about it yet. Hmmmmmmm.......

I know most here would love for that to happen. :mrgreen:

I am a direct witness to Spielberg saying, "The only person who will ever score my films is John Williams."

I don't think Steven would ever choose someone else to score ANY of his films (I know, The Color Purple). I hope he sticks to that quote.

~Sturgis

But I'd forgive Williams for not scoring WotW if he says that he needs more time for RotS.

Hmmm,around this time Williams should have written most of the score to RotS if he started in octobre.

K.M.

Don't be silly - it will be Williams - it's uncommon to put composers in something this early. Williams wasn't in the first Jurassic Park announcement advertisements either. Not sure if he was in the teaser trailer.

Or Jerry Goldsmith on Poltergeist, but that's debatable.

This one doesn't count though as this was only produced by Spielberg and directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Cahinsaw Massacre). Spielberg was unable to direct Poltergeist due to his commitments with E.T. but whenever he directs a film personally it's JW for the score.

As far as the possible conflict with WOTW and ROTS is this not similar to Star Wars and Close Encounters of The Third Kind? Both of which came out within a short space of time in 1977! I think Spielberg has enough say in Hollywood to convince the studio suits to hold back on a films release (at least for a few weeks) until his composer is available.

I wonder if he was left off on purpose just to see how worked up we'd get.

You are correct. All of the worlds events revolve around this very site.

Justin - Who thinks The Last Samurai was created just to spite Alex.

Yeah, but I've read in Steven Spielberg: The Unauthorised Biography by John Baxter that Spielberg was more involved with the scoring process on Poltergeist than Tobe Hooper was.

Well, the only thing you should believe in that book is Spielberg's birthday. The rest is completely false.

I wonder if he was left off on purpose just to see how worked up we'd get.

You are correct. All of the worlds events revolve around this very site.

Indeed. Some have yet to realize how influential a force the JWFan community really is.

Yes, the days of laughter are over. No longer will we be able to rejoice, that someday we might conquer the world, or that someday we might rule the entire universe. Alas, that time has passed. For JWFan.net is already the center of all things past, present, and future.

And there was much rejoicing.

- Marc

As far as the possible conflict with WOTW and ROTS is this not similar to Star Wars and Close Encounters of The Third Kind? Both of which came out within a short space of time in 1977! .

Star Wars came out in May 77,and CE3K in November.And Williams is old now.Didn't someone on this site say Williams felt a lot of pressure for the PoA deadline this year?And then he had Terminal to worry about...and THAT was delayed because of the score.

If I was Williams,I'd say screw you Spielberg for cranking this movie out that fast.I'm really not sure what the rush is about,it's not like he's in a hurry to do Indy 4 or that the world can't wait for his Olympic story.It's like Spielberg has those manic episodes sometimes,and they usually occur when Williams is due to score another important movie.

Maybe some people here think having the mostly crappy score to Minority Report is better than having the Genosis Battle scored,but afterwards Catch Me if you Can effectively ruined the Chamber of Secrets score.

K.M.

If I was Williams,I'd say screw you Spielberg for cranking this movie out that fast.I'm really not sure what the rush is about,it's not like he's in a hurry to do Indy 4 or that the world can't wait for his Olympic story.It's like Spielberg has those manic episodes sometimes,and they usually occur when Williams is due to score another important movie.

Maybe some people here think having the mostly crappy score to Minority Report is better than having the Genosis Battle scored,but afterwards Catch Me if you Can effectively ruined the Chamber of Secrets score.

Well, that's only YOUR opinion, dear (and thank god for that! :sleepy:). Let's be honest and frank: Williams would NEVER give up the opportunity to score a Spielberg film. He would do it only if very major cause's forces doesn't allow it. So, Williams WILL score War of the Worlds and he will do it just after completing his work on Revenge of the Sith. It's that simple.

And for clarity's sake: Williams couldn't write any original music for the final battle of Attack of the Clones because the sequence was completed just in the last weeks before the release date! Even if he wasn't working on Minority Report, he couldn't have done it because there wouldn't be enough time to compose and record anything. Catch Me If You Can ruined Chamber of Secrets? Oh, my... that's a very funny quote! :music: If I remember correctly, Williams composed almost ALL the COS score... and left to William Ross some adaptation job and the conducting duties. So, I'm perfectly happy on how both scores turned up. Didn't you like those scores? Well, that's only your problem... :music:

Just a last thought: I think this topic is a good way to waste time and words on unfounded rumors and/or fears... I mean, people, let's talk about the music of John Williams! It's much more fun and interesting than wasting time on silly rumors or unfounded fears...

I have to say I think the answer is simple.

War of the Worlds is being done from beginning to end in one hell of a rush - let's face it, if it is actually any good the achievement of doing it in that short space of time is going to be breathtaking.

"So - no time for JW to record any music for a teaser then - oh darn! Don't think we could get him away from that Star Wars Thingy even if we tried.....let's get some dork with a synthesizer to shove something in.....give MediaVentures a ring..........Williams is worth waiting for.....and no-one's going to take much notice of the trailer anyway - it doesn't exactly say much!"

I'm looking forward to Star Wars, don't get me wrong, but War of the Worlds is going to blow me away......the perfect match of Story, Director and Composer......he's doing it all right, and he won't be letting anyone down......

Just a last thought: I think this topic is a good way to waste time and words on unfounded rumors and/or fears... ...

eh,we have nothing better to do.

K.M.

I remember correctly, Williams composed almost ALL the COS score... and left to William Ross some adaptation job and the conducting duties. So, I'm perfectly ...

Well yes technically.But it wasn't the initial plan.He was supposed to do 40 minutes of music to avoid schedual conflicts with Catch Me if You Can.But obviously he had to be brought in at the last minute to re-write a lot of stuff.That's why the Corurcant Chase music and Conspiracy motif from AotC ended up in CoS.Maybe if he didn't have to score CMIYC,he would have written the whole score intially hence not having to do a hack job on the CoS underscore.

K.M.

Just a last thought: I think this topic is a good way to waste time and words on unfounded rumors and/or fears... ...

eh,we have nothing better to do.

Indeed. Let the truth be told.

~Sturgis

Yeah, but I've read in Steven Spielberg: The Unauthorised Biography by John Baxter that Spielberg was more involved with the scoring process on Poltergeist than Tobe Hooper was.

Tobe Hooper was not involved with the post-production on Poltergeist. That was entirely Spielberg. Some have even speculated that Hooper was only on the set to officially call "action" and "cut".

Neil

More indications this topic might not be as silly as some have made it appear.

The teaser poster (with only the letters in Ben Hur-style) has just been released.

Anyone noticed that again Williams is not credited?

Believe me guys; this is a bad omen. Williams has always been credited on teaser posters (even if they didn't mention cinematography or editing they always DID mention the music score!) for Steven Spielberg's films.

Why doesn't anyone else see the signs? Why doesn't anyone else believe me!

Hans Zimmer and his Media Ventures crew....

...they're already here....

Roald

Tobe Hooper was not involved with the post-production on Poltergeist. That was entirely Spielberg. Some have even speculated that Hooper was only on the set to officially call "action" and "cut".

Neil

As far as I am led to believe it is the director of the film who chooses the composer to score his film

Dean, who is waiting for someone to say it is not Hooper's film

Jerry Goldsmith himself has stated (in an interview from the period by writer Randell Larson) that he worked exclusively with Spielberg on the score. Pretty darned good proof there.

Q: How did you receive the assignment to score POLTERGEIST?

JG: Steven Spielberg called me about five months before it went into production and wanted to know if I would be interested in doing it. He´d long been an admirer of mine, and we had met several times. I said I´d be very interested, so he sent me a script and I loved it. I was very excited about being involved with anything with Spielberg, anyway.

Q: What sort of musical approach did you take on this film?

JG: With Spielberg, probably more than any other director, there´s a tremendous amount of discussion. He's very articulate about music, and one can discuss for hours about approaches. Anything I did was not on my own volition, it was a joint effort in that we both agreed what we were trying to do with the music for the picture. We wanted a childlike theme for the little girl; Spielberg felt that much of the action in the closet should have a quasi-religious atmosphere to it. There was something definitely non-human about it, yet it was not evil all the way. It was discussing specifics like that which resulted in our approach.

Q: So you worked mainly with Spielberg? What about director Tobe Hooper?

JG: He was not involved at all with post-production. That was all strictly with Steven, and I worked very closely with him.

And I'd avoid that Baxter bio on Spielberg like the plague. He may have been right on the point you mention, but for everything he gets right he's got 10 errors or lies to make up for it.

.....in fact if you go by the poster - the movie has a cast of one and Spielberg does everything behind the scenes.....so much for the poster.......

More indications this topic might not be as silly as some have made it appear.

The teaser poster (with only the letters in Ben Hur-style) has just been released.

Anyone noticed that again Williams is not credited?

Believe me guys; this is a bad omen. Williams has always been credited on teaser posters (even if they didn't mention cinematography or editing they always DID mention the music score!) for Steven Spielberg's films.

Why doesn't anyone else see the signs? Why doesn't anyone else believe me!

...they're already here....

I don't know, but this seems to me just a game to play in lieu of more interesting things to talk about... maybe I'm not getting the joke...

Anyway, dear guys who fear the improbable, just take this: Spielberg, at the recent Kennedy Honor ceremony where John Williams was honorified, said: "Sometimes, I think the reason I work so much is to keep him writing for my films" (source: The Washington Times by the way of SpielbergFilms.com).

Well, I think that such a quote sweeps away all the silly "rumors" or the unfounded fears. So, please, stop this. :mrgreen:

Hey guys,

I am the webmaster for the War of the Worlds Movie Site and could have sworn that I read somewhere that Williams is indeed scoring the film. However, I am unable to find it at the moment. So, why do you think they left out Wiliam's name on the posters? As for leaving out Kaminski's, that's okay...it's actually common to leave DPs out of the credits in film posters. But, it is very interesting that they left William's out. His name should be up there.

Thanks and I look forward to chatting with ya'll.

Behold Roald's prophecy:

...they're already here...

K.M.

Personally I think your "GoF will stink" prediction has a better chance at coming true than that one.

As for leaving out Kaminski's, that's okay...it's actually common to leave DPs out of the credits in film posters. But, it is very interesting that they left William's out. His name should be up there.  

THANK YOU!

And thank you King Mark. You seem to be the only one who seems at least slightly worried by this unfortunate turn of events.

Roald

Could it be that JW hasn't officially agreed to score WotW yet? Or maybe -- because of the tight schedule -- he's only planning to co-write the score . . . like he writes the major themes and someone else (i.e James Newton Howard or Alan Silvestri) the underscore. Just a thought.

But on the other hand, I really DO believe JW will write the entire score. Maybe he's already sketching out the themes for WotW while working on RotS . . .

If anyone's capable of scoring two of the biggest sci-fi movies ever in one year, then it's JW.

:mrgreen:

If anyone's capable of scoring two of the biggest sci-fi movies ever in one year, then it's JW.

In one year yes. Virtually at the same time; I doubt it. Both films require a huge, detailed scoring job and since Williams, unlike other composers who compose 5 or 6 scores over a 10 month period, has always avoided conflicting schedules.

Roald