WOTW: I have a bad feeling about this...

Sandor

Right now it's 1:55pm. I should be packing - my family are going to Sydney tomorrow, hooray. I ought to catch up with my fellow Aussie JwFan members, but I have better things to do. I'm going to see the Lion King and see if I can find budget JW scores!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have more than just a bad feeling. I personally dislike remakes. I have a natural loathing towards them.

However, I will give it a chance since it is Spielberg.

Ok more shit from me:

1) Go to the following site: http://www.gsamusic.com/composers.html

That's the site from Williams OFFICIAL agents (as has been pointed earlier in this thread)

2) Select John Williams

3) A pdf-file opens. Go to page 7. It's part of his scoring assigments and WHAT WILL YOU SEE...??

There IS Episode III, there IS Memoirs Of A Gesiha, but NO War Of The Worlds!!!

The same agents report on their main page http://www.gsamusic.com/ that Williams will score WOTW, but that is a fairly old information (released around the Grammy Awards nomination time) and I can imagine they ASSUMED Williams would score WOTW. BUT they did not know of Memoirs back then. The pdf-file is VERY UPDATED (Memoirs IS included here) BUT no WOTW... So, did they change their minds? Did they forget to include it? Highly unlikely wouldn't you say...

Your thoughts please...

Roald - keeping my biggest thread alive....

ROTFLMAO

I know you guys get really tired of my "findings", but not a single member here can deny that what I provide is a little controversial. Again; I hope I'm wrong; I WANT Williams to score WOTW, but why do I keep digging up these strange things?

Maybe Williams will recommend Michael Giacchino for WOTW. I think it would be interesting if Williams had to pass on this project. And we all know Rogue Leader would probably change his opinion about remakes ROTFLMAO

Maybe Williams will recommend Michael Giacchino for WOTW.  I think it would be interesting if Williams had to pass on this project.  And we all know Rogue Leader would probably change his opinion about remakes ;)

ROTFLMAO

I'm sure good ol' Rogue would prefer a WOTW with Michael Giacchino. That's just the kind of guy he is.

Well,it looks like things are still unclear in the WotW story.I think this time around JW wont let Epoisode 3 go half finished like Episode 2,so his involvement in WotW is still unofficial.IF he finishes RotS on time THEN he'll score WotW.And maybe he's tired,so at this point he's not the official composer of WotW.

Maybe Spielberg is crossing his fingers like the rest of us.

K.M.

I'm not even sure why I bother to post this again (considering some people here won't be satisfied until they see Williams' name in the credits on the film June 29), but I can't see Williams' involvement with "War' being anymore official. The production itself confirmed it and Williams is now listed on Variety's production roster as being on the picture (not conclusive in itself, but secondary proof following the production's confirmation). I think elsewhere on these very boards, someone said Williams management also confirmed his contract on the picture. I don't understand why this is still an issue with some people! I would assume it would take one hell of a problem with ROTS to keep Williams from scoring a Spielberg picture, especially one he's been confirmed as having a contractual agreement on.

I am going to try and be a background stand in actor for this movie. Apparntly they need thousands - all you need to be able to do is be in shape, be able run in the rain and not mind wearing raggedy clothing. I will keep you guys posted.

Be in shape?

Are there no fat people in this world that the aliens claim war on?

It's the surprise twist.The fat people are the aliens.

..There already here..

K.M.

I think the release date definately poses a problem.

Revenge Of The Sith: May 19

War Of The Worlds: June 29

So if Williams IS going to score War Of The Worlds, WHEN will he score the film and record the music? War Of The Worlds will require a HUGE amount of score (considering Spielberg's material and musical preference).

Back in 1999 Williams DID rescore the final scenes of TPM after Lucas decided to re-edit the whole thing (ok - Lucas re-edited the re-edit again shortly after that and didn't ask Williams to rescore it anymore).

In 2002 Lucas AGAIN re-edited and finished the CGI of the AOTC Geonosis battle, but this time Williams was busy scoring Minority Report and Williams couldn't finalize the score.

Now I'm sure Lucas AND Williams want to do it right. War Of The Worlds presents (or MAY present) the problem in finalizing the score for Revenge Of The Sith. Since Lucas is so sloppy and undecisive during post-production I'm sure Williams will be busy on Revenge until the very last moment leaving Williams, as king mark also stated, unable to score War Of The Worlds.

Roald

(Please if you don't like my reasoning don't read it ok? I'm sorry for irritating so many members with this kind of posting, but I do mean it serious. I'm not like you that I automatically ASSUME Williams will score based on the previous collaborations between Spielberg and Williams. Everyone ASSUMES that ofcourse. Yes, even the unit publicists and agents. Why would they doubt Williams' credit anyway? But we have a lot more information concerning Williams' involvment with the prequel trilogy and the problems that occured back in 1999 and 2002)

Roald, John Williams will have completed the entire 2 hour score for RotS by February (this we know because the recording sessions are in February). Opening of WotW is July 29, so that gives him at least three months to write and record the music for WotW. Remember, JW wrote Jurassic Park in only two months. Even if George Lucas keeps re-editing and tinkering with his movie until the last minute (whether JW will be available to make changes at that point is another question entirely) the bulk of the RotS score is finished come February. So, to my mind, although it IS a tight schedule (I think no one's doubting that), JW will still have enough time to fully devote himself to the new Spielberg blockbuster.

P.S. And who even says that JW can't work on two movies at once? Maybe, even as we speak, he's sketching out the themes for WotW. After all, he IS John Williams!!!!

:|

Opening of WotW is July 29

No, WOTW opens June 29. One month makes a lot of difference when it comes to scoring.

whether JW will be available to make changes at that point is another question entirely

It's the heart of the matter IMO. I reason that Lucas AND Williams don't want the shit that plaqued TPM and AOTC. They both want to be able to make last minute changes to the film and the score. No matter what.

there is no conflict,

John will have all of March, April, and May to write the music, which is alot of time

John will have all of March, April, and May to write the music, which is alot of time

But isn't it supposed to come out June 29??? If he's still WRITING music in May how will he have time to record it? Doesn't the mixing, etc. also take up a lot of time?

I mean Revenge is recorded in February, months before the film will be released. But War Of The Worlds is a totally different film, right? NOT!

:|

all the tecnical aspects you are worring about, don't take that much time.

Remember AOTC and MR were on the same schedule, and there was no problem there.

And please don't get caught up in saying how those two scores turened out, the scores reflect the film, not the time writing them.

Also remember that the higly popular score of Hook was composed very fast to get it in cinema's for Christmas.

Williams was working of the script and edited scenes as they were coming in.

It might get a bit hairy, but williams has dealt with tight schedules before, it's a part of the bussiness...his bussiness!

Also remember that the higly popular score of Hook was composed very fast to get it in cinema's for Christmas.

Williams was working of the script and edited scenes as they were coming in.

It might get a bit hairy, but williams has dealt with tight schedules before, it's a part of the bussiness...his bussiness!

I thought he already composed a few themes before the film crew started shooting?

Luke, just remember this guy that you and so many others think should be redeemed was already to turn his daughter just moments before.

Joe, who loves the villiany of Vader in Star Wars when he was Tarkin's lapdog, and the villiany of Vader when he was topdog in Empire.

I thought he already composed a few themes before the film crew started shooting?

True he used themes from the cancelled Peter Pan project.

That's probably the reason why that score has a richness to it.

It does not feel like a rushed job at all.

What's the worst case scenario? We only get ROTS? Or we get a Zimmer WOTW? Okay, that second hypothesis is kind of scary. But then again, Spielberg likes Zimmer, Cruise likes Zimmer, and Zimmer is the head of Dreamworks Music dept. Now I'm depressed.

Opening of WotW is July 29

No, WOTW opens June 29. One month makes a lot of difference when it comes to scoring.

Yeah, sorry, that was my mistake -- it's June 29th. But like everyone else pointed out, JW still got March, April, and May to work on WotW. He's still got time to record the music, because recording sessions for movies take usually no longer than a week (except in the case of Star Wars, which might take 2).

I've said it once before and I'll say it again: It'll be a snowy day in hell before Spielberg goes to Zimmer, especially when it comes to such a mega blockbuster sci-fi movie.

LOL

I never meant seriously that Hans Zimmer would score War Of The Worlds. I have however always been serious about Williams not being able to score War Of The Worlds, because of his work on Revenge Of The Sith which would assign another composer to score War. It COULD be Zimmer, but if it's going to be Horner or Elfman I wouldn't be surprised.

I never meant seriously that Hans Zimmer would score War Of The Worlds. I have however always been serious about Williams not being able to score War Of The Worlds, because of his work on Revenge Of The Sith which would assign another composer to score War. It COULD be Zimmer, but if it's going to be Horner or Elfman I wouldn't be surprised.

But as Joe has pointed out, there's about a 3 month window for Williams to score WOTW,

MORE then enought time.

Roald, why don't you even entertain the IDEA that JW can write a score in just two months, even if it is for such a huge Spielberg-blockbuster??? Like I said, there IS enough time.

Movie composers are used to working under a lot of pressure with deadlines looming ahead of them. I've read somewhere that Jerry Goldsmith wrote the score to Air Force One in just two WEEKS, James Hormer wrote the score to Alien (I forgot which part) in just a week (possibly two). So what makes you think JW can't write a score -- again, even if it is for such a mega-blockbuster -- in two MONTHS???

Believe me, JW WILL score WotW!!!! :)

Good one, Tommy.

;) Thanks. :)

And:

Cruise likes Zimmer

When did actors can choose the composers of their films? Isn't this a decision of the director only? Or a decision of the movie producers, too.

I don't think actors have the power to decide to engage this composer instead of that.

When did actors can choose the composers of their films? Isn't this a decision of the director only? Or a decision of the movie producers, too.

I don't think actors have the power to decide to engage this composer instead of that.

You do, if you're Tom Cruise. Besides, Tom Cruise's production company Cruise/Wagner is involved in making the film. For Minority Report, Spielberg even admitted that it was Cruise who hired HIM, not the other way around. So, technically, it IS possible, I think, although I doubt seriously that Cruise would choose Zimmer or anyone else over John Williams.

:)

it IS impossible, I think, although I doubt seriously that Cruise would choose Zimmer or anyone else over John Williams.

I think you meant possible.........and yes Cruise shouldn't choose Zimmer! :)

it IS impossible, I think, although I doubt seriously that Cruise would choose Zimmer or anyone else over John Williams.

I think you meant possible.........and yes Cruise shouldn't choose Zimmer! :)

Yeah, sorry, I meant possible. I already corrected it. ;)