WOTW: I have a bad feeling about this...

Sandor

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were Cruise's choose, he would go to Zimmer. He is the one who scores his movies.

Let's hope Spielberg has a bigger role that him.

I disagree. If Cruise had a choice between John Williams and Hans Zimmer, he'd gor for JW. BELIEVE me. :)

Arguably, Zimmer would be his second choice.

If it were Cruise's choose, he would go to Zimmer. He is the one who scores his movies.

I disagree. If Cruise had a choice between John Williams and Hans Zimmer, he'd gor for JW. BELIEVE me. :)

Has he ever said that?

He could have hired him for the last samurai, im sure he has the money. But he did not...

Has he ever said that?

He could have hired him for the last samurai, im sure he has the money. But he did not...

It's not a question of money (God knows, both Tom Cruise and JW have enough already). It's just that JW has reached a point in his career where he can choose projects which really interest him. Like Alan Parker, the director of Angela's Ashes, pointed out, having John Williams get on board is akin to winning the lottery. I'm not sure on this, but maybe JW did get asked (for those of you who don't know it, JW was also James Cameron's first choice for Titanic; JW declined because he was busy with The Lost World). Also, it's just that 2003 was his deserved year off.

Yes, Cruise did indeed say something to that effect. Right after Far and Away came out, he praised JW for the music of Far and Away and BOTFOJ. And that wasn't just talk. ;)

Williams was handed the rough edit of Sith in October! And at this stage, fully knew of his commitment to War of the Worlds.

My guess is John would have liked to score the final edit, but he and Lucas discussed that it was not worth it because of Lucas's admittedly "perfectionist" editing room behaviour, and because of John's tight schedule anyway (why not repeat the Clones/Minority situation? Just because it's the final Star Wars film?).

So after scoring much of the rough edit (with themes already in development over the years since The Phantom Menace - especially in his empty 2003 year), Williams went immediately to work on composing major thematic ideas - ahead of schedule - for War (some of which probably had been written for previous scores, or perhaps even selected for War, instead of Sith, during his composing of the latter).

In early February, four months after the initial edit, Williams will have an updated edit to adjust compositions, and by mid-to-late February, will record the score and hope that most of it finds its way safely to CD.

After a short break, Williams will then have March and April to adjust his compositions for the rough edit of the fast-tracked War production, working alongside both Spielberg and film editors to ensure their visions remain congruent under tight scheduling.

As April ends and May rolls around, Williams will oversee any changes to his Sith recordings before they are finalised for the May 3rd CD release - which may get pushed back - and may have the opportunity to re-record and mix some of the score's more crucial scenes in the three weeks prior to May 19 (perhaps at the same time as recording the following War score), if not merely guide editing.

After ROTS's film and CD are released, Williams and Spielberg will make full use of the six weeks before the June 29 WOTW release date to have the score fully orchestrated, recorded, mixed and edited appropriately if need be, just as they did for The Terminal (at the last minute) and most likely for Minority Report.

Williams will then take a long summer break to revitalise his mind, avoid death, and go to work on early prints of Memoirs of a Geisha. During this time he may lend a friendly hand to Patrick Doyle for his Harry Potter scoring debut, if by that stage he has not signed on himself.

In a sensational turn of events, Williams' early score for Memoirs will be rejected - rumours have it as a lone test audience member's cry afoul - and Gabriel Yared will have his chance to get back at Hollywood for his unwitting Troy bungle.

As expected, Williams's Memoirs work will become a cult hit after its bootleg release, and will use the extra time to work more focussed on Spielberg's Vengeance, and begin work on The Uniter (the Lincoln biopic) and Indiana Jones and the ...

Bowie - who thinks the fourth film in the series will be called ... Fatal Wisdom.

Williams will then take a long summer break to revitalise his mind, avoid death, and go to work on early prints of Memoirs of a Geisha.  

What do you mean avoid death? Is anyone attempting his life? That's in poor taste.

:?

Woohoo!!!! I made a difference!!!

Yesterday I called the Gorfaine/Schwartz agency to inform about Williams' War Of The Worlds and Memoirs Of A Geisha involvment. The nice lady I spoke to was quite helpful and promised to confirm whether Williams is assigned to both projects. I informed her of the inconsistancy of the information on the main page (www.gsamusic.com) and their composer pdf.file. War Of The Worlds WAS mentioned on the main page, but not in pdf-file's discography.

I just checked and see for yourself:

http://www.gsamusic.com/Composers/WLLMS-JN.pdf

Look on page 7: War Of The Worlds IS included now and Memoirs Of A Geisha is still there.

Although I'm not fully convinced (considering me being "paranoid to a pathological level") and I'm still scared shit (obviously for the same reason) I am getting more convinced that Williams will score both films in the end.

Although I'm not fully convinced (considering me being "paranoid to a pathological level") and I'm still scared shit (obviously for the same reason) .

"Sometimes I even cut myself to see how much it bleeds. It's like adrenaline, the pain is such a sudden rush for me."

you know if John never scored another picture, the world would still go on.

That's like saying if you cut your own heart out, your brain will still function for a few minutes.

Or something along those lines anyway....

Justin

you know if John never scored another picture, the world would still go on.

Yeah, such a remark seperates the real fans from those who have lost their emotional attachment to the Williams phenomenon.

I guess that makes me sound nerdy, geeky, I don't know. I don't care anyway.

I would be really affected if Williams would stop scoring. I'm not ashamed to admit that. Waiting for the "next score", reading all the developments on the Net is almost as much fun for me as listening to his new work.

I understand what you mean Roald, but Jerry died and the world still went on, as long as I have my favorites from the Williams catalog, I can make it past the day John scores no more.

Yeah, I know. But Jerry hasn't had the influence on my life like John has. I have been following John's career for almost 15 years now and that's half of my life! It's going to be difficult for me. I know that.

TI and Earthquake, plus I already had Fiddler on the Roof, and Valley of the Dolls(mom and dad's stuff). I was also aware of the Poseidon Adventure, but never found the record.

"Sometimes I even cut myself to see how much it bleeds. It's like adrenaline, the pain is such a sudden rush for me."

Eminem - "Stan" (Track 3 of "The Marshall Mathers LP") ;)

You said you don't buy Eminem CDs, Stefan, but you have to admit you like it. This isn't the first time you post something Eminem-related.

I love you when you do that. ;):nod:

"I hope you get this man, hit me back, just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan, this is Stan" (but in this case I should put "Ender" instead of "Stan" :P )

That's also one of my favourite Eminem's songs.

I understand what you mean Roald, but Jerry died and the world still went on...

It's not even 1% the same for me.As sad as this is,I had stopped buying Jerry Goldsmith scores for the last 10 years,and he never had as big a place in my heart as JW.When JW dies or stops scoring it will be a truely sad period for me.

k.M.

Same for me, Mark. ;)

I don't even want to think about it...but we must be strong and we will must help each other to pass that terrible period when it will happen. We're a family, aren't we?

I had stopped buying Jerry Goldsmith scores for the last 10 years

;)

No wonder he didn't have the same influence on you.

Justin - Who thinks in the last 10 years of Goldsmith carrer he crafted some of his finest scores.

Yeah, I think this was the last incomprehensible message you did:
I have a few actuallly.The Mummy,Air Force One...none of which made a lasting impression on me.  

K.M.

LOL

BTW Steef, check your PM...and hey it's 4.00 AM so I might go to sleep!

I understand what you mean Roald, but Jerry died and the world still went on...

It's not even 1% the same for me.As sad as this is,I had stopped buying Jerry Goldsmith scores for the last 10 years,and he never had as big a place in my heart as JW.When JW dies or stops scoring it will be a truely sad period for me.

k.M.

Then you will stop buying scores and who knows, maybe you'll discover MTV.

----------------

Alex Cremers :)

maybe you'll discover MTV.

----------------

Alex Cremers ;)

:):nod::eek::P :micro:

You must be joking. If not, "I think you need some counselin, to help your ass from bouncin' off the walls when you get down some"

(Yeah, I did it again, Steef!)

It always comes out so much better when i do it.

"I jus don't give a f*ck" (no wait this is too easy!)

BTW, Stefan, it's a pity you don't use ICQ anymore...it would have be funny...but no problems, we're here! :)

We're turning this to a better thread. Roald said he's almost sure JW will score both WOTW and Memoirs! Finally!!

It's been a fun 7 page of paranoia.

k.M.

Yeah, like my thread about cartoon scores. I'm sure everybody remember that. :P

And Mark you're a dentist? 8O

Nice to know this but do you take off your mask while working or you just make your patients sh*ts their pants? :mrgreen:

Not just drunk Luke, remember, KM is a dentist.

KM has a profession? :mrgreen:

Justin

I am many things,yes,a dentist one of my identities.I also did my M.D.(Doctor of Medecine),taking an additionnal 5 years of university,just for the heck of it.

what.?..am I supposed to be more serious or something?

K.M.

I always thought you were some low level nothing. A mindless grunt slaving day after day in the same pit of grease and despair.

I guess not....

Justin

Not just drunk Luke, remember, KM is a dentist.

KM has a profession? 8O

Justin

I am many things,yes,a dentist one of my identities.I also did my M.D.(Doctor of Medecine),taking an additionnal 5 years of university,just for the heck of it.

what.?..am I supposed to be more serious or something?

K.M.

two degrees? wow congrats :P

I though Joe was the older here. :mrgreen:

Unless you are a prodigy child...

Luke , who knows joe is our daddy here. ;)