Which of the following is the most triumphantly uplifting?

Josh500

Which of the following is the most triumphantly uplifting?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Theme from Jurassic Park
    • Hymn to the Fallen (Saving Private Ryan)
    • The Land Race (Far and Away)
    • Harry's Wondrous World (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)
    • Summon the Heroes
    • Olympic Fanfare and Theme
    • The Olympic Spirit
    • Call of the Champions

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote goes to Jurassic Park.

It's good you didn't put The Raiders March or Stars Wars Main Theme, that would be too easy, and make the other options ignored!

I would have voted for The Raiders March, of course!

TJ - who's the first to vote here...

Theme from Jurassic Park? You mean the actual Theme from Jurassic Park, or the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" theme played over the chopper's approach to the island?

It's too hard to choose, because I haven't actually heard any of the Olympics stuff (maybe once a long time ago, but no more than that). :mrgreen:

Theme from Jurassic Park? You mean the actual Theme from Jurassic Park, or the "Welcome to Jurassic Park" theme played over the chopper's approach to the island?  

You mean the Journey to the Island-theme? "Welcome to Jurassic Park" is just the "Theme from Jurassic Park" played by the piano.

Well, yes. I always turn those two around, because the track Welcome to Jurassic Park on the album is actually the end credits, and the End Credits is the Journey to the Island theme. So I'm used to referring to that as the Welcome to Jurassic Park theme. Wonderfully confusing. :mrgreen:

It's split between Summon The Heroes and Olympic Fanfare and Theme.

Justin - Who randomly chose between the two and cast his vote for Olympic Fanfare. :mrgreen:

Why always those arbitrarily chosen voting options. Why isn't Flight to Neverlend among them? Or Superman March? Anyway, of those I'd choose Call of the Champions.

My 3 most uplifting favorites aren't on there.

1st: Oh wow, by far the last track of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but I like it as done on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration - Excerpts from CE3K(6 min. in to the end) That is just rapturous. The fanfare, the floating feeling the strings give (at 7:40)

The way it leads to the climax...by the time it gets there (at 8:14!), I want to go out on a hill and pull a Sound of Music or something. LOL

2nd: E.T. - Adventures on Earth. It's so majestic, jubilant, and full of life. Pure magic. Wonderfully soaring throughout. Just amazing.

3rd: The Raiders March. Puts me in a good mood anytime I hear it, definitely triumphant.

Of course I think the ones on the poll are great as well, especially Summon the Heroes, but not as much these three. ;)

A list of "triumphantly uplifting" cues of his could go on ages though. JW is a master at that.

Greta

:mrgreen: Exsultate Justi - Empire of the Sun

I voted Jurassic Park, nothing beats it for sheer awe :mrgreen:

Other cues I can't listen to without being uplifted are:

Adventures on Earth

Hymn to the Fallen

Flag Parade from TPM

Harry's Wondrous World

End Credits from Hook.

music.gif Adventures on Earth, E.T.

Is it possible to overlisten to a piece? I think I may have accidently done that to the E.T. final a long time ago, and now it's got severely less power than before. Sigh. Still love it of course.

Yes, actually, I think it is possible to overlisten to something. It happens to me all the time - but if I stop listening to it for a while, when I come back it's all fresh and new.

I chose Summon the Heroes - the part that comes out of the middle, starting with the bass trombone ostinato and then the trademark "boom crash" that goes back into the trumpet medley gives me chills every time. I can't get enough of it! (And it has Tim Morrison's solo, which will melt your heart every time too. I recently heard the best professional trumpet player I know play it and it still didn't have the same effect.)

Many of what has already been mentioned, but I would also have to say:

'Toy Planes, Home & Hearth' from Empire of the Sun

'The Landing' from The Amazing Stories Mission episode

'The Planet Krypton' fanfare, 'Leaving Home' (accompanying the Clark/Martha embrace ending with that terrific swooping crane shot) and 'Chasing Rockets' from Superman

'Celebrate Discovery'

.....and because i'm in a slightly Christmassy mood; 'The Arrival in New York' cue from Home Alone 2

-Tim. :music:

The new recording of Summon the Heroes definately uplifts me every time

Hymn to the Fallen I dont really get why it's on the poll, it's not necessarily supposed to uplift you

"Fawkes the Phoenix".

Seriously, why isn't that in the poll?!!? Every time I hear it I get a feeling of joy. Even if I'm in a crap mood it all just... melts away. When I listen to it I feel like I can do anything. Is that triumphantly uplifting?

"Fawkes the Phoenix".

Seriously, why isn't that in the poll?!!? Every time I hear it I get a feeling of joy. Even if I'm in a crap mood it all just... melts away. When I listen to it I feel like I can do anything. Is that triumphantly uplifting?

I agree. I also get chills anytime I listen to the last minute of Hedwig's Theme. It's kinda triumphant. Anyways, I voted for Jurassic Park. Utterly marvelous.

~Sturgis

From the choices listed, I'd say Summon the Heroes is very worthy. All of his summer Olympic pieces build to a heroic finale, but this one has a certain pride about it that makes you stand up tall, so to speak. Like Neil, I also thought of the helicopter scene in Superman, for choices not listed. Its similar to the Raiders march when Indy boards the sub in terms giving an already heroic theme that extra triumphant, heraldic feel.

- Adam

Being a trumpet player myself,i have to say "Summon the heroes"...as Seekuyoda has said...that bass trombone lick around the middle is quite exciting...and the big climax with the 6 trumpet parts is very uplifting.I love Tim Morrison's tone...he's been an inspiration for me.But JW writing in that piece is pretty much awesome.One of my favorite ever.

Richard

Yeah, I love that driving trombone section that segues into the theme, and all the various trumpet parts (anyone know how many there are?) playing different little licks here and there during the theme. Brilliant!

Ray Barnsbury-whose favorite Olympic pieces are StH and OFaT ( LOL )

Like I said, they're all brilliant, but after much thought I decided to cast my vote for "Harry's Wondrous World." For me, right now, the Quidditch Fanfare -- and the following Hogwart's Theme -- is so triumphant and uplifting and ingenious, it's beyond description. It's the joy of the game and pride of Gryffindor expressed with music. Absolutely magnificent.

(I think this is also part of the reason SS got nominated for an Oscar. When the nominations for Best Score were announced at the Academy Awards, they showed a brief clip of Harry and his team flying out on their broomsticks to start the game . . . the precise moment the Quidditch Fanfare sets in.)

:P

I forgot the Grand Canyon Fanfare by James Newton Howard, fantastic piece that is very uplifting

Super piece, I just heard that for the first time a few days ago. It reminded me a lot of Williams's fanfares.

Getting into non JW uplifting stuff, the list could go for days. :mrgreen:

How about Jerry Goldsmith's The Blue Max? :|

Great one. Another uplifting, flying sort of piece.

Greta

Yeah, but it's the actual moment he lifes the X-Wing that's so uplifting, not the whole track.

But...but it's called Yoda and The Force... :thumbup:

Justin

I voted for "Harry's Wondrous World".

I wouldn't necessarily call "Hymn to the Fallen" an uplifting piece. Solemn and reflective, maybe. Not uplifting. I almost voted for "The Land Race", though. That's a good piece. But Harry's too innocent and imaginative. When it comes down to running for land to live on with a hot wife in a fairy tale or being a kid who can do anything he wants with magic...I'd rather be the kid. Women are insane. Wonderful, but insane.

I'll break the current tie in favor of "Summon the Heroes." That's the one going through my head most often, at least right now. Funny--there was a time when I couldn't stand that piece, or at least I couldn't get into it. No longer, and thank goodness. :|

Most all the others people have mentioned here are great, too. Honorable mention goes to Indy's swim to the sub, "Journey to the Island," and yes....Superman's first appearance. I'll add a couple to the list, too: the second half of "Remembering Childhood" (especially the rolling trumpets during the first iteration of Peter's Theme--wow!) always picks me up outta my seat, and "Cadillac of the Skies," the Spielberg/Williams version.

Another vote, out of solidarity:

I immediately thought of the music cue in "The Empire Strikes Back" when R2 opens the door in Cloud City, and they escape.  

The music is fantastic.

I'm with you on that one, my friend. This is one that'll pop into your head at random times, followed by the requisite goosebumps.

But the best of all time, I agree, has to be "Adventures on Earth." No topping that, not now or ever. On that note (heh...!):

Is it possible to overlisten to a piece? I think I may have accidently done that to the E.T. final a long time ago, and now it's got severely less power than before. Sigh. Still love it of course.

I think it's possible, yes, although I've found it much harder to listen a Williams piece to death than that of any other composer. Still, it's something to be aware of--which is why I listen to E.T. so rarely, and make it something of an "occasion" when I do. Silly as it sounds, it's become almost a sacred thing, something I don't take lightly. I guess we all honor different things in our own way.

- Uni

Yeah, but it's the actual moment he lifes the X-Wing that's so uplifting, not the whole track.

But...but it's called Yoda and The Force... :|

Justin

Yes,I know that,but before typing Yoda and the Force,which I am fully aware is the title of the cue,I typed Yoda Lifts the x-Wing to underline the sweeping statement of Yoda's Theme followed by the triumphant brass fanfare.

K.M.