Future John Williams.

Josh500

If JW were to retire, who would you like for Steven Spielberg to collaborate in the future?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Danny Elfman
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Thomas Newman
    • James Horner
    • Other (name composer)

Just wondering . . .

Although they're all good, I think I would like for Steven Spielberg to not collaborate with one specific composer, but to choose a different one every time depending on the movie. I think none of the above is as versatile as JW, nor will they ever be. I think James Horner comes closest, but then again, for every hit, he produces three stinkers.

:mrgreen:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to be the first to say...

Michael Giacchino

Man, I saw that coming the second I saw he was left off the poll. :mrgreen:

I'll bet Rogue will be disappointed he wasn't around to say it first. LOL

Both of ya'll beat me to it too! LOL

James Newton Howard, for sure.

I can imagine they'd jive quite well. Howard has shown he can do it all, grand and majestic, contemporary, scary, sensitive.

His music is a joy to listen to, and I can imagine we'll see more great things from him in the future. His writing is classy, detail-oriented, he writes beaufiful melodies, and is flexible. He's a solid, consistent composer, much as Williams is.

Waterworld is a great example. Such a big expensive project, in the vein of Spielberg, and he had to come in and write that in a short time period as a replacement score for Mark Isham's. What a fine score. :mrgreen:

Alan Silvestri is quite good too though. And David Arnold like we heard him in ID4, could be a powerhouse with Spielberg.

I don't know that Spielberg will limit himself to one when Williams retires...there are many fine ones out there. But he seems to like to have a very close, strong working relationship with his composer, that's seems to be how he's most comfortable, so we'll see.

Greta

David Arnold came to mind, but I'm not quite sure about him with Spielberg.

Working with Thomas Newman could be very intersting for him, though.

Or James Newton-Howard or Harry Gregson-Williams.

Ah,the complete Shubert and Bach piano recitals.A whole world awaits me.

K.M.

:music:  Shubert,piano concerto # 2461

After Williams retires, I'll revisit my complete Chopin played by Rubenstein. A gem!

:sleepy: "Star of Bethlehem" from Home Alone, John Williams

There will never be another Williams

Having said that I'm torn between Newton Howard and Giacchino, with Giacchino winning in the end

:music: Sketches on a Tudor Psalm - Fisher Tull

before I'd let Giapoopoo score any of Steven's films, I'd have to feed him to the sharks.

He's not fit to even be in Spielberg's presence.

I'd like to see him do a lot with David Arnold & Giacchino both. I think we'd get a new and improved Arnold (not that there's anything wrong with him now!) if Spielberg worked with him - he'd kick into an entirely new and awesome gear.

I wouldn't put Nick Glennie-Smith with Spielberg, but I'm keeping him on the edge of my radar screen because I've some stuff by him I've really liked. "We shall watch your career with great interest!"

I didn't know Giacchino was Italian...even if Giacchino IS an italian name (well Michael not...he's half Italian-half American?)

I would have voted for Giacchino, so option 6, but I clicked on the wrong name...I voted for Thomas Newman. (althought Finding Nemo is so great!)

I agree with Josh, no one is versatile like our JW.

How many composers in the world would have been able to score Jaws and Home Alone?!? :music:

James Newton Howard.

Ray Barnsbury

I KNEW you'd beat me to it! :sleepy:

Crap! You and 78 others beat me to it! Well, I totally agree. :music: After John, he is my favorite. His scores for Signs, Peter Pan, The Village, Treasure Planet, and Hidalgo are all brilliant.

~Sturgis

I don't know if Spielberg would even want anyone else scoring his movies. He probably wouldn't go for the "big names" (e.g. Horner, Silvestri, Howard) - he might go for some new talent. Soneone with their own voice, because there will never be another John Williams. I don't even think anyone has the diversity of Williams to do all of the projects Spielberg does.

For epic blockbusters (eg WotW) I would go for the Arnold sound (think ID4, SG and TND)

For fantasy films I'd go for James Newton Howard

For quirky, feel-good comedies (CMIYC, Terminal) I'd go for Thomas Newman

For artsy-fartsy/tender flicks I haven't decided yet...

As you can see these compoasers have their strengths, but I think that Williams can do all of these, and do them extremely well.

That or Michael Giacchino.

How many composers in the world would have been able to score Jaws and Home Alone?!?

Hans Zimmer

Well you have ironically some truth.

Shark Tale and Home Alone III were scored by Media Ventures if my memory does not fail me...

Which is unsetting...

Alan Silvestri, Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard. Spielberg would need all these composers and then some to even come close to the talent he will not have when Williams is gone.

Alan Silvestri, Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard. Spielberg would need all these composers and then some to even come close to the talent he will not have when Williams is gone.

Indeed!

~Sturgis

I love James Newton Howard's work, but he doesn't seem to be of the "big theme" kind; he can deliver some really good ones, but nothing "big" yet.

Poledouris is a good idea.

My choice would definitely be Bruce Broughton, whose first major assignment was precisely for a Spielberg production-- the splendid Young Sherlock Holmes.

He would thus finally get all the recognition (and work) he more than deserves.

He can write wonderful themes, do action and suspense as well as romance and comedy, and he has a style of hiw own.

Giacchino is good, but his John Williams sound-alike scores are precisely that: John Williams sound-alike scores, pastiches.

You can't mistake a Broughton for anything else; his scores are as symphonic as Williams', but the style is his own.

You can't mistake a Williamsy Giacchino score for a Williams score, yet it remains much too close to the model-- no ripping off, but too close for comfort.

What is needed is not a copycat, but someone who can write as well, in the same idiom, yet in his own specific style.

Eliot Goldenthal

Neil

Nicely done Neil! I wish Goldenthal would get back into doing "big" projects. I'd love to have heard his take on Last Samurai or even something like The Aviator. I still play COBB and GOLDEN GATE after 10 years and enjoy them as much as I did back then.

Silvestri. The guy is the closest to sounding like Williams while not BEING Williams or sounding like he's ripping JW off. (Which is my problem with Michael "The Chameleon" Giacchino, who can't write anything original other than heavily-variated forms of Williams and Barry.)

Silvestri.  The guy is the closest to sounding like Williams while not BEING Williams or sounding like he's ripping JW off.  (Which is my problem with Michael "The Chameleon" Giacchino, who can't write anything original other than heavily-variated forms of Williams and Barry.)

His music is really shallow, in my opinion. He has not written a theme that I think is beautiful. The closest thing that resembles good music is the Cast Away theme, and that was stolen from Dvorak.