Future John Williams.

Josh500

If JW were to retire, who would you like for Steven Spielberg to collaborate in the future?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Danny Elfman
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Thomas Newman
    • James Horner
    • Other (name composer)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind seeing Spielberg collaborate with either James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman or Elliot Goldenthal. I'm sure he'd bring out some more really good music from these disparate composers.

CYPHER

Silvestri.  The guy is the closest to sounding like Williams while not BEING Williams or sounding like he's ripping JW off.  (Which is my problem with Michael "The Chameleon" Giacchino, who can't write anything original other than heavily-variated forms of Williams and Barry.)

Giacchino did one score where he tryed to emulate Barry, so now he's a huge Barry copycat?

Of all who have tried to emulate Williams, Giacchino, in my opinion is the only one who has managed to emulate Williams Style while composing completely originl themes (ok, ONE or TWO tracks can be borrowed from Williams).

And Anyway, the point of these Next/Future/Armagedon Williams is finding one person that can emulate Williams, and noone that Giacchino can do that. Period.

And im not the one who said Barry couldnt write a Bond score anymore. Thank goodness we have Giacchino then.

Luke, who can hear the Giacchino sound in his works. But i cant describe it as i cannot describe Williams sound either...

Most the composers here mentioned do not sound near Williams appart than using a real classic orchestra and some neither that...

I put good ol' Silvestri. I was just listening to the Promo Score of "the Mummy Returns." It's got some exciting stuff in it. Sometimes I noticed the styles of Williams in there and Goldsmith too.

Frederic Talgorn would be the best choice possible. He is such a terrific composer

Second could be David Bergeaud who worked for Spielberg's EARTH 2 tv series and did the terrific trailer music for JURASSIC PARK.

In my humble opinion, in case Mr Williams retires, Steven Spielberg will not hire a A-list composer.

Joel McNeely, of course. He's the natural heir in terms of style and the idioms he's worked in (INDIANA JONES, STAR WARS....and Williams pastiche like IRON WILL). I'm sure Williams would agree.