Memoirs of a Cello

TheRuleOfThirds

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, you're probably right. The cello seems a very apt instrument for the Chinese film score, for whatever reason, and Williams has already proven more than willing to use it for the Asian score. Plus, there is no one else to my knowledge better qualified to bring the Chinese emotion to a film about China than Yo-Yo Ma.

~Conor

Actually I don't think Williams will use YoYoMa again in Memois of a Geisha. That would be too much like Seven Years in Tibet. But maybe he'll use another famous soloist . . . perhaps Vanessa Mae. Isn't she Chinese? Then again, she might be too wild for such a quiet, introspective movie.

:|

Actually I don't think Williams will use YoYoMa again in Memois of a Geisha. That would be too much like Seven Years in Tibet. But maybe he'll use another famous soloist . . . perhaps Vanessa Mae. Isn't she Chinese? Then again, she might be too wild for such a quiet, introspective movie.  

:|

What? Williams isn't going to work with Vanessa Mae. That's preposterous! He works with respected artists like Yo-Yo Ma or Gil Shaham.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think it will all be JW brand Tokyo Pop, somewhat flavored by Williams' Earthquake style.

Also, he will borrow heavily from JG's Mr. Baseball

Actually, Geishas are Japanese.

Well, that makes me feel a bit silly. Well, then, I have no clue about the music. It'll be good, that's all I know... or hope.

~Conor

I wouldn't feel too silly since the production has curiously cast Chinese women in the lead roles of Japanese women. I really wonder how this film will play in Asia, since most Asians clearly know the difference between Chinese and Japanese persons, unlike we Americans. Then again, if a person's good for a role, they ought to play it, but I couldn't help but be miffed if I were a talented Japanese actress who lost the role to a Chinese woman who will portray a Japanese.

Language Problems on 'Geisha' Set

10 December 2004 (WENN)  

Chicago director Rob Marshall is finding filming on his latest movie Memoirs of a Geisha complicated, because his cast all speak different languages. Sony Studios refused to cast non-Asian actresses in the big screen adaptation of Arthur Golden's best-selling book about the life of a Japanese geisha, and boasts Chinese Ziyi Zhang and Li Gong, Malaysian Michelle Yeoh and Japanese Cary-hiroyuki Tagawa and Ken Watanabe amongst its stars. An insider on the Japanese set tells American gossip site Pagesix.com, "They hired a 'Pan-Asian' cast. So now they have Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other Asian actors and they have had to hire a load of interpreters, especially since there are like 15 Chinese dialects. It is costing a lot of time to do anything." Producer Lucy Fisher and Doug Wick adds, "We have a Chinese and Japanese interpreter. The movie may or may not be a day over schedule, but we are brilliantly on time for an epic and on budget."

So they refused to cast non-Asians, but didn't give a rat's ass on where in Asia they are from.

Actually, Geishas are Japanese.

Well, that makes me feel a bit silly. Well, then, I have no clue about the music. It'll be good, that's all I know... or hope.

~Conor

I wouldn't feel too silly since the production has curiously cast Chinese women in the lead roles of Japanese women. I really wonder how this film will play in Asia, since most Asians clearly know the difference between Chinese and Japanese persons, unlike we Americans. Then again, if a person's good for a role, they ought to play it, but I couldn't help but be miffed if I were a talented Japanese actress who lost the role to a Chinese woman who will portray a Japanese.

So? Liam Neeson, who is, I think, originally Irish, played a German in Schindler's List, didn't he? Same thing here. A Chinese actress portrays a Japanese. That's why they're called ACTORS, I guess.

:roll:

So? Liam Neeson, who is, I think, originally Irish, played a German in Schindler's List, didn't he? Same thing here. A Chinese actress portrays a Japanese. That's why they're called ACTORS, I guess.

Neeson wasn't necasserily believable as a German in the movie, he was believable as the character. In this movie, the fact that they are Japanese, as opposed to Chinese or Malaysian, is inherent to the plot. I don't think Zhang and Yeoh are believable as Japanese. I think their acting skills will probably transcend that, but casting anyone oriental in a part that is specificaly Japanese is not a small technicality.

Clearly I'm not saying that no one could play a role that they are not, Josh500?I made a specfic point to say that if an actor is right for a role, they should play it regardless (maybe you missed that point tripping over yourself to be sarcastic over my post that you obviously didn't read too closely), but as Morlock pointed out so well, the characters and their nationalities are essential to this story. Again, I wonder how the Asian film going populace (particularly Japan in this case) will take to this film considering.

Don't you love that part in Starsky and Hutch when they're questioning that "Korean" guy and he says all we white people look same to him?  Funny.

"It's funny, cos' it's true"

Morlock- who liked it even more in The Last Samurai

Clearly I'm not saying that no one could play a role that they are not, Josh500?I made a specfic point to say that if an actor is right for a role, they should play it regardless (maybe you missed that point tripping over yourself to be sarcastic over my post that you obviously didn't read too closely), but as Morlock pointed out so well, the characters and their nationalities are essential to this story. Again, I wonder how the Asian film going populace (particularly Japan in this case) will take to this film considering.

Tonight I will be Miss Saigon...

I really wonder how this film will play in Asia, since most Asians clearly know the difference between Chinese and Japanese persons, unlike we Americans.

ST06_0266.jpg

"They all look alike".

Neil