• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this will be a fun thread. :)

I DON'T think it's across the stars.

I cannot pick just one:

Leia's Theme

Han Solo & The Princess

Luke & Leia (not a romantic love, but still)

For always from A.I. (the love between a little boy and his mother)

Love theme From Superman

Love theme from The Patriot (the only worthwhile thing in that entire score)

Marion's theme (sctructured like a lovetheme)

All are superiour to Across The Stars IMO.

Across the stars isn't bad at all. What's the deal with JW fans letting the memory of the actors performances, or the movie attack the theme? Seperate the screen from the sound and you'll note the excellence and emotion of Across the Stars. Han vs. Leia is also excellent, and has many more opportunities to speak emotionally in context with the film.

Across the stars isn't bad at all. What's the deal with JW fans letting the memory of the actors performances, or the movie attack the theme? Seperate the screen from the sound and you'll note the excellence and emotion of Across the Stars.

I don't like the theme because of it's resemlance to Hook. Much too close to the pirate theme for my liking. The devlopment in the concert suite I like, but whenever it goes back to the main theme, I really can't stand it. It also doesn't sound sincere, I guess because the movie is so bad, because I don't sense a real relationship or a real love between Anakin and the Queen. It's telling us 'this is supposed to be romantic', when there's nothing to it on the screen itself.

I'm confused now what theme in Hook gets compared to the AOTC love theme. Which theme do you call the pirate theme, if I may ask?

I like the theme though a score is always going to be bound by the parameters of the film. The Love Pledge and the Wedding are the only times the theme has an opportunity on a Star Wars type of scale to say anything. I thought it worked remarkably well, almost in spite of the absense of any real emotion from the movie itself. But I'd agree its not as developed as other love themes, for no fault of his own really. People may like it more if it has more opportunities in the final film, which it should.

- Adam

I like Across the Stars only because it takes Luke's theme and makes it lush like Leia's theme, symbolizing the product of the love between these two people. That's all. Musically, it's not as great as ..

Han Solo and the Princess. Beautiful.

Jeff

I'm confused now what theme in Hook gets compared to the AOTC love theme. Which theme do you  call the pirate theme, if I may ask?

The very first theme heard at the begining of the prologue (and used later in the movie). The first 13 notes or so of both themes are very, very, very, VERY similar.

You are all forgetting the best one! The love theme from Missoui Breaks!

Actually I'd have to say "Marion's Theme."

What about "Sean's theme" from Minority Report. A Father son love theme. Maybe not.

just listen to the Love Theme from Superman in the dark, with your eyes closed,

and then listen to Across the Stars in the dark and your eyes closed, when you wake up an you've realized you did not hear all of Across the Stars, you'll know which is better.

Neil, please close and lock this thread because the musicologist has spoken and there is no need for further discussion.

All of the themes mentioned above are great, but what about the Theme from Sabrina? The movie wasn't all that great, but I think the theme deserves mention here. I think it's John Williams in an unabashedly romantic mood.

For me, the best is also Across the Stars, followed by the Love Theme from Superman and Marion's Theme.

Monica's Theme or Marion's Theme. Across the Stars is beautiful, I don't know why it gets bashed so much.

I don't like the theme because of it's resemlance to Hook. Much too close to the pirate theme for my liking. The devlopment in the concert suite I like, but whenever it goes back to the main theme, I really can't stand it. It also doesn't sound sincere, I guess because the movie is so bad, because I don't sense a real relationship or a real love between Anakin and the Queen. It's telling us 'this is supposed to be romantic', when there's nothing to it on the screen itself.

It's like Deja Vu all over again!

No mentions for the theme from Far and Away yet . . . well, that's my pick. Other favorites are Love Theme from Superman, Across the Stars, Han Solo and the Princess, Monica's Theme, and Theme from Sabrina.

Ray Barnsbury

Great topic!!!

Luke & Leia (not a romantic love, but still)

Absolutely my favorite. Leia herself says she loves Luke - so it's definitely a love theme. This one is my favorite to play - it just pours out of the horn like the instrument was made to play it. What a joy! And towards the end when the piano comes in with that quarter-note triplet bit in dissonant half-steps... mmm....

It ("Across the Stars")works better in the final moments of the film though.

Gives me chills every time I hear it. It works magically there!

You know, the first few times I heard it, I was so upset because all I could hear was the "Flight to Neverland" from Hook. The more I hear it, though, the more I like it. The ascending sixth sounds like longing, and loneliness, especially when the oboe or piano plays it. And while I think anything would sound good played by 6 horns, I particularly like the "wedding scene" statement at the end. It gives a whole different quality and depth to the characters, which is what makes Williams so brilliant.

I still don't like the name - "Across the Stars" sounds kind of hokey to me, but I enjoy the theme much more than I did before I saw it used in the film.

Han Solo and the Princess is beautiful too, and is ingeniously orchestrated at the end of ESB, and is a fantastic horn solo before they kiss for the first time. It's just so hard to play!

What about the love theme from The Terminal? Any thoughts? It's very cute...

Han Solo and the Princess

Marion's Theme

Love Theme from Temple of Doom (does it have a proper name?)

I think Across the Stars sounds more like "The Face of Pan" than the prologue theme. Especially the rendition in "Yoda and the Younglings" - it sounds like it's about to go straight into the mentioned theme.

That's what was kind of confusing for me. There's been 3 different Hook themes mentioned that Across the Stars sounds like. And yet those 3 themes sound very little like one another. Hmm... The only close similarity that has struck me is that the end of track 6 has a rendition of the love theme in a major key which makes it sound close to the main Peter Pan theme.

The theme you mentioned, Morlock, does have a melodic similarity that I've never noticed before, but beyond that, they're about as different as can be to my hears. Not the least of which, the Hook theme sounds like pirate music and the other sounds like a tragic love theme.

My favorite is Han and Leia's theme though Far and Away and Jane Eyre are up there.

- Adam

Han vs. Leia is also excellent

My money is on Han.

I still don't like the name - "Across the Stars" sounds kind of hokey to me

But aren't they "star crossed" lovers?

All this talk of "ATS" sounding like Hook and hardly any mentions of it sounding like "The Turbulent Years" from Nixon! What's up with that?

If I had to pick one love theme, it would have to be "The Love Theme from Superman". It's just perfect.

Neil

So 3 themes from Hook, Nixon, and if we also throw in that it sounds like Luke's theme, Jane Eyre, etc. then Across the Stars may be deserving of the title of Theme that Sounds like the Most Themes. Although the Nixon comparison isn't so much the theme but the stormy section where the theme is being hinted at but not really played - or at least I assume.

- Adam

Han Solo and the Princess.No questions about it.And one of Williams best /most beautiful themes ever.every variation of it in ESB is brilliant...but It feels like it was just trown in the RotJ score like an afterthought.

In second place:

Marion's Theme from Raiders

Third place:

Love theme from ToD.Too bead it doesn't have a dedicated concert version

As Stefancos mentionned,The love theme from Patriot is good,too bad there's no concert version either.

My best adjective for Across the Stars would be "uninteresting",It's not bad as such and has all the usual Williams orchestrations,but I just can't bring myself to play it over and over like the other ones.

Never got into the Superman love theme either.

K.M.

Han Solo and the Princess, Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (that's the real title), The Terminal love theme, ToD love theme. I never liked Marion's theme, oddly, though the rest of Raiders is God to me.

As much as I like Han and Leia?s theme, I kind of agree with KM that in RotJ, the theme loses its

luster. But I think its because in RotJ, JW understandably tries to strip the theme of some of its

sweeping meloncholy - an emotion that was necessary in TESB and a big part of what makes it so good, but which doesn?t fit in RotJ. He uses the theme for thematic consistency but it obviously fits TESB much more closely, despite his efforts to adapt it to the new circumstances in RotJ.

Even The Imperial March undergoes changes for ROTJ, becoming a little less brutal, overall - a

little softer, rounder sound though still unmistakably evil. Just a couple examples of the thousands of detatils that JW pays attention to and adapts to.

- Adam

I forgot Jane Eyre. It of course belongs there.

Alas... I have not yet heard all of Jane Eyre.  Someday!

The Silva CD isn't too hard to find- definatley worth seeking out. IMO the most beautiful soundtrack of all times.

In order:

1. Love Theme from Superman

2. Marion's Theme

3. Han Solo and the Princess

4. Monica's Theme

5. Across The Stars

6. Ann and Gabriel

7. Love Theme from Temple of Doom

8. Love Theme from The Terminal

9. Love Theme from Far and Away

10. Shark Love Theme from Jaws 5

It's like Deja Vu all over again!

Couldn't agree with you more on that - I almost cringe when I hear that theme because it's so close to the pirates theme from Hook (and acorss the stars is simply the cheeeesiest title I've ever heard). Its only redeeming feature for me is that it does indeed sound tragic :jump:

My top Williams love themes are:

The Terminal

Far & Away

Ann & Gabriel

Monica's Theme

Long-time lurker, first-time poster, and I'm not sure what made me post on this topic of all things, except that no one's mentioned some old favorites of mine:

*Love theme from "The River"

*the main theme Johnny wrote for "Yes, Giorgio", which is gorgeous!

*Heck, I'll even go out on a limb and say I think the love theme from "Heartbeeps" is wonderful, especially as heard in the end credits

Welcome and good choices. Picking a favorite is always going to leave a ton of good ones off. I like all of the choices people listed and it kind of serves to show how diverse his music is, even within the specific category of a love theme.

- Adam

Sorry but I think you all misunderstood me when I told that I choose across the stars and i'm talking as a musicologist. I didn't mean that my opinion is more valid than yours but, because I'm a musicologist, I may not be objective in my choice. Maybe I would choose another If I were just a listener. But when I hear music I listen to structure, melody, harmony, counterpoint, orchestration etc, and I think that Across the stars is better qualified from others, in all those parameters.

Across the Stars is beautiful, I don't know why it gets bashed so much.

because its not beautiful, and it deserves to be bashed.

see, you are so wrong, its the junk like Across the Stars that makes me appreciate the truly great love themes John has created.

Considering the number of people who consider it their favorite or one of their favorites, surely a little humility is in order before calling it "junk"?

- Adam