What do your friends and family think about JW?

Josh500

What do your friends/family think about your (slight) obsession with JW?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• They think you're weird because of your fixation on JW.
    • They don't care.
    • They're fans themselves because you made them.
    • They don't know who JW is.

My family doesn't care, some friends support me (not all of them, though). Some think me weird, but that's a given.

:jump:

P.S. I love Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most have never heard of him. One old guy I knew once (he was 46) in my News Media class thought John Williams was too over the top and thought you'd have to be a "kind of romantic" to enjoy his work. It was as though to him, he'd somehow "unlocked a part of my personality" when I told him I liked film scores.

Another friend in that same class liked Danny Elfman, but she really only knew him from his Oingo Boingo work.

My immediate family has come to enjoy the type of music I listen to, for the most part. And I've pretty much turned my thirteen-year-old brother into "one of us." A couple friends of mine are into JW/film scores because of my influence too, though not to the extent that I am. The rest accept it, probably think it's weird, but are used to it by now.

Ray Barnsbury

My immediate family has come to enjoy the type of music I listen to, for the most part.  And I've pretty much turned my thirteen-year-old brother into "one of us."  A couple friends of mine are into JW/film scores because of my influence too, though not to the extent that I am.  The rest accept it, probably think it's weird, but are used to it by now.  

Ray Barnsbury

My friends were surprised when I told them I'd be meeting you guys, but then they saw you at the Friday concert and realized you weren't rapists. I say "the JWFan people" and they know who I'm talking about.

My family and friends are interested in some of JW's work. I have one friend who's really into Harry Potter (I gave him a copy of my HP DVD rips for Christmas :P ), and another who likes The Patriot. I've also got an aunt and cousin that really like the HP scores.

Most of them probably don't even know I listen to John Williams. Film music, yes. Lord of the Rings music, yes. Star Wars music, yes. But if I named Howard Shore or John Williams (or Jerry Goldsmith, or David Arnold, or anyone else), they're likely to just stare blankly back at me.

My family likes JW because I converted them, but they wouldn't call themselves film music fans. My friends, however...

Once I was humming Buckbeak's flight aloud, and one of my friends asked what it was, and I told him it was from Harry Potter. I was disappointed to see his blank expression (especially because I'd just seen it with him a few days ago on opening night). He shrugged and said he didn't listen to that kind of "stuff." The same friend told me once that the only "classical-type" music he can stand to listen to is Pirates of the Caribbean.

There are just no words...

~Sturgis

my family knows who John is, my mother and sister both listen to him, and everyone in this household damn well better know who he is, just kidding, she asked if that was Saving Private Ryan the other day? So my three females, and my dog and cat all know John.

:|

Anyhoo...

I'm slowly trying to get my parents to accompany me to film music concerts. We've been to two LotR concerts now, and I wanted to go to the Morricone concert in Antwerp in May, but any plans and information seems to have mysteriously vanished from the face of the earth. :angry:

My dad doesn't care for Williams.

My mother and sister have attended two Williams concerts with me.

My cat couldn't care less.

My closest friend loves Williams and film music in general.

Neil

My lil sis who is four is a well trained apprentice, i say "Who did the music to that?" She says "Jon Williums"

My mother thinkgs he is well talented

My bro knows nothing about him.

My dad doesn't care for any music more recent than his wedding.

My mother likes pleasant, beaufitul sounding, thematic music and anything jazzy- so she loves Dragonheart, Jurassic Park, Little Women and recently- The Long Goodbye,over and over and over again.

My brother is a classic Trekkie, so loves any Star Trek/Star Wars/General Sci Fi related music.

My other brother likes stuff that are generaly short and to the point, and basicaly anything from a movie he loved as a kid.

My dog couldn't care less, except for the fact that he knows to bark in tune with the dog from Hook when the dog barks Hook.

My gradfather didn't like Williams until I slipped him a tape I made of JW's greatest hits in the cover of a Dvorak recording.

My grandmother on the other side is rather snobbish, and liked JW as soon as she heard his credentials and that he's accepted as a real composer is such a high class place as Boston and tanglewood.

My best friend accompanied me to one JW concert (actually, his father drove us), and has been steadily been recieving an education on film scoring through me, and is a huge JW admirer.

My girlfriend likes him as long as I didn't do anything to exasperate her recently, like talking too much about the latest Spielberg or Coen Brothers movie I've seen. In general, she's come to like JW as a nessecity to not going insane while being in the same vicinity as me.

My dad has about 3000 classical c.d.'s,but not one JW c.d.,and does not consider him a "real" composer.

My mom thinks I'm obsessed

My cat runs out of the room if I play JW.

2 of my friends bought the Star Wars box set in 94.

K.M.

-I have a friend who digs him.

-I have another friend who thinks he uses too much instruments in his scores. (read: too symphonic)

-My son is a big Jaws score fan and he never saw the movie. Also, he like everything "prequel".

---------------

Alex Cremers

Surely there must be clinics that that help this boy?

It just proves what I and many others have been saying all along. The Prequels are made for young children.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Come to think of it, I haven't met with one grownup, in the flesh, who said he likes the Prequels. They all think it's kiddie kiddie stuff. Each and every one of them.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm sorry, do young children really care about the argument between the Trade Federation and the Republic?

No, nor do intelligent adults. But kids love the other stuff in the Prequels. The action scenes and Jedi, for instance.

E.T. is made for young children, the prequels were made for George Lucas.

In fact, Spielberg made E.T. for himself. I think E.T. can be enjoyed by the whole family. It's a truly great movie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

None of the above.

People around me know about my admiration by Mr. Williams and respect it. Some of them also know well his work and respect him as a hightly acomplished musician.

Don't know no one who see me as a freek who spends his money on film music.

No one ever called me obsessed for having almost 2000 CDs -- mostly film music and classic music -- and have many friends who come to me everytime they need some orchestral music.