Oscars 02 Film Score Medley

Bowie

This may have been pointed out before, but did anyone else notice how right after sampling the Titanic theme and showing Horner's name and face on the big screen, Williams immediately followed with a) the Psycho shrieking violins theme, and B) his own Jaws two-note motive.

I didn't realise the first couple of times I listened/watched the recording, but I found it incredibly hilarious and blatant that Williams was mocking Horner.

Or was it just coincidence?

Bowie - who just then decided to start post-scripting half-relevant information.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that it got a laugh at the Oscars, if I remember correctly. I guess he had to include the Psycho theme somewhere and unless he started with it he was going to insult somebody. He's probably sophisticated enough to know that this would be interpreted as a commentary on the Titanic theme. Very appropriate since, on one hand, its a famous, effective theme to one of the most successful movies of all time, thus deserving to be in the medley, and, yet, in the end not a strong enough tune to withstand the overexposure it received (IMO), thus making it ripe to be mocked.

- Adam

I never thought of that...now I'll never listen to it the same way again!

I hope to god it's intentional. Always love JW inserting humor and personal opinion into his music.

However on the clip I have of it, I don't hear any laughs.

Morlock- who discovered a number of those classic scores through that medley (I had no idea who Rozsa was, what Patton was, or how Out of Africa sounded before that clip!)

Morlock 2- who thinks this is exactly one of the things a good thread should be, and would like to thank Bowie for presenting this in this light

I think this WAS intentional, particuarly because JW seemed especially miffed at losing at the Oscars in 1998 (his score to Amistad lost to Titanic). Part of the reason for that may be because he WAS offered to score Titanic by James Cameron (he had to refuse because he was busy working on The Lost World), but mostly because his score to Amistad WAS better than the Titanic score (popular success notwithstanding).

But I have to admit I have never noticed that before, now I'll have to go back watching the tape again. Go Williams!!!

:mrgreen:

Amistad isn't the score that lost the most unfairly

You mean that year, or in general?

I think that year was very good in the nominess. Only one score that was blatantly out of place (The Full Monty), and in each category, several of the nominees were actually deserving! Titanic, L.A. Confidential and Amistad are IMO all great in their own way, all a great achievment. I have trouble decidng which one I'd want to win. Kundun has some great stuff in it, as does Good will Hunting (though a very unflashy Elfman score). And in the other category- Men In Black, As Good As It Gets and My Best Friend's Wedding are all among the top scores in their genres, fantastic comedy scores, and Anastasia is a very, very good animated score, certainly comparable with the Menken scores.

Yes. I would not hesitate excessively in claiming The Lost World theme as his MOST "inspired" theme ever.

Bowie - who would not hesitate excessively in claiming The Lost World theme as his MOST "inspired" theme ever.

And what we got? A sequel with chopped music and for that didnt asked for that much work :nod:

You are wrong, TLW is a very good score and a real departure for Williams.

Still one of his top efforts.

I didnt said it was any bad. Just that he could have spared some time if he knew half of the music was not being presented as he intended, so he could have done Titanic...

I just said that, for the treatment the score got in the movie (not an excellent movie, anyway), it didnt need an excellent score.

He didnt got any awards for it that im aware of, so he could have done the classical sequel score: using previous themes, hence, more sparing time.

Luke, who loves TLW score.

to be honest I'm glad Williams didn't score Titanic... it's such a boring movie imo... both Amistad and TLW beats it by miles...

Is it true Williams was asked for Titanic?

It is a shame he couldnt do it. He would had got an Oscar :nod:.

And what we got? A sequel with chopped music and for that didnt asked for that much work :)

Yeah, it's true. I've read it in one of the countless books about the Making of Titanic.