Once and for all: The Winner Is . . .

Josh500

At the Oscars 2005, John Williams will . . .  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• . . . win an Oscar for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    • . . . win an Oscar for The Terminal.
    • . . . will be nominated for both scores but not win.
    • . . . will be nominated for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    • . . . will be nominated for The Terminal.
    • . . . will not be nominated at all.

Let's make a prediction. I may be naive, but I still hope he'll get one for HP3. Let's keep this going until February . . . maybe we can even make a difference with our collective praying.

:mrgreen:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. No chance in hell. Both scores came out waaaay too early, plus split voting.

Giacchino and Shore are "locks" for nominations, and right behind them, and ahead of Williams, are:

Kaczmarek, Finding Neverland

Newman, Lemony Snicket

Kent, Sideways

Badalamenti, A Very Long Engagement

Vangelis, Alexander

Amenabar, The Sea Inside

Desplat, Birth

Silvestri, Polar Express

and with potential spoilers from:

Debney, Passion of the Christ

Eastwood, gulp, Million Dollar Baby

Zimmer, Spanglish

Yep. No chance in hell. Both scores came out waaaay too early, plus split voting.

Well, JW is nominated almost EVERY year. I think he will be next year, too, but whether he wins or not is a different question altogether.

We have to go back to 1992 for an Academy Awards for which Williams did not receive a nomination despite presumably having submitted scores for consideration (Far and Away and perhaps Home Alone 2: Lost in New York).

Does anyone know why Williams wasn't nominated in 1993 for Schindler's List AND Jurassic Park?

In 1989 he was nominated for BOTH Indy3 and Born on the Fourth of July. In 2001 he was nominated for AI and HP. I think if there's any one JW-score worthy of a nomination that WASN't nominated, then it's Jurassic Park. (And you can't tell me it's because of the movie's overwhelming success when he won for E.T., Jaws, and Star Wars.)

He's often had multiple nominations so Jurassic Park being left out was kind of a surprise. Even Witches of Eastwick and Empire of the Sun both got nominated, I believe. The success of a movie like Jurassic Partk usually helps a score get recognized. Maybe somebody can explain who makes the nominations, is it a smaller committee of some sort? Whatever the case, its a very inexact science so I'm not too surprised with anything that happens.

My low-confidence prediction is that PoA will get nominated. My higher confidence prediction is that no JW score will win this year.

- Adam

IMO, it sucks that these awards go off of how well orchestrated the music is. If its really complicated then it seems to do better. Me personally, I base my music choices of of how good the music is to listen to. LotR is VERY enjoyable to listen to in the movie, but, for me, much less so to listen to on my CD player. Most all of John's scores are filled with awesome themes and awesome music. I could care less about orchestration and composition. That's what the People's Choice Awards are for I guess.

--- I'm not saying that Jw's scores are not complicatedly orchestrated. I just think the more typical classical scores do better than the ones that are gr8 to listen to.

Not ENTIRELy sure what I mean.......

jamesie- in the school library in a 1 hr 30 minutes study hall. No semester test this period. Gr8 fun.

IMO, it sucks that these awards go off of how well orchestrated the music is. If its really complicated then it seems to do better.

Um...what? The quality or complexity of the orchestration has little to do with the music's awards success.

By the way, the Music Branch of the Academy, which consists of musicians (composers, songwriters, lyricists, and otherwise), is responsible for the nominations.

Then WHY would LotR win over Harry Potter? There is no way that LotR stacks up to the listenability of Harry Potter, if they are going off of how enjoyable the music is to listen to.

Had it been Sorcerer's Stone this year I'd be more hopeful that he would win. But it seems doubtful that he'll win for a sequel. (And don't whine about ROTK.)

Justin

RotK is the best score of the 3. I like it and wouldnt care if Shore won for that. But Mr. Williams needs to win. Cause for anyone who simply likes listening to music, music that keeps your attention, music for people who don't say "Oh what a clever note configuration. I do wish he would have used a b-sharp instead of a b-flat though." Harry Potter wins just for fun listening.

In my heart, I want him to be nominated for both. But I don't think the Academy noticed the scores. POA wasn't as powerful as Sorcerer's Stone, and Terminal might have been too slight.

But I hope the Academy proves me wrong. Unfortunately I thought Williams was in the bag with The Phantom Menace, and look what happened there.

As much as I love the LOTR scores, Shore's orchestration is for the most part incredibly boring and dull, all the more so when compared to William's standard bristling orchestral invention.

LOTR has been winning oscars for reasons quite apart from its surface complexity...

If he's nominated he wont win, they'll be saving it for next year for Ep 3 prolly

Max-Oddly having an urge to listen to Black Hawk Down

Max-Oddly having an urge to listen to Black Hawk Down

I oddly had an urge to watch the movie, which I always follow up by listening to the score.

Hello, everyone. I hope everyone's been doing well. Just to clarify some things for you:

the music branch of the Academy nominates and the entire Academy votes for the winner.

in '93, Universal (and Williams) did not submit both Schindler's List and Jurassic Park for nomination consideration, because whenever there is a double nomination, they tend to cancel each other out. If JP would've been nominated, Johnny would not have won for Schindler's List or for Jurassic Park. It's possible Elmer Bernstein could've taken home his 2nd Oscar that night. (For example: how many members of this board believe he deserved the Oscar for JP over SL? And vice-versa? See my point? The '93 Oscar was pretty much for both films, just as Peter Jackson and Howard Shore's Oscars were for the trilogy.)

My prediction: Johnny will receive his 43rd nod for Terminal, but will not win.

...and whoever mentioned the anticipation for nominating the Episode III score might be onto something there. But he'll be up for 3 possible contenders in 2006 and he's better off with just one nomination. So I guess we'll have this same discussion in 12 months, but the stakes will be much much higher.

Happy Holidays to you all and enjoy the best this New Year will bring!

John Williams will be nominated for both Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and The Terminal and will win two Oscars for the pair of them. In 2006, he will be nominated for Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds and Memoirs of a Geisha and will, of course, win for all of them.

He's that bloody good.

That?s good to know, Director. It makes more sense to know that Jurassic Park wasn?t submitted for nomination. If it had, I still think Schindler?s List would have been the heavy favorite even with the potential for some vote-splitting with Jurassic Park. Still, I can understand the studio not wanting to take their chances. One of the most notorious JW scores to not win an Oscar is Close Encounters, beat by his own Star Wars, so that king of thing does have precedence.

- Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i hope the Golden globe nomitations are no indication for the Oscar nomitations, since Williams is not nominated there...

CLINT EASTWOOD - MILLION DOLLAR BABY

JAN A.P. KACZMAREK - FINDING NEVERLAND

ROLFE KENT - SIDEWAYS

HOWARD SHORE - THE AVIATOR

HANS ZIMMER - SPANGLISH

I really didn't like the Aviator. I suppose after LOTR, which I love, anything new from Shore would just be a huge disappointment. It was this dissonant, frenetic thing that had no obvious theme or thread. I can't even remember a single melody from the score.

If Shore won for The Aviator, I think he would be the first composer ever to win an Oscar two years in a row . . . and to win 3 Best Score Oscars in just four years!!! So he's out (hopefully).

I have this sneaky feeling that John Debney could well snatch the golden lad known as Oscar for his outstanding score to THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. He was brought the epic religious film score back into fashion in the same way Rosza and Newman did in the 50s and 60s.

Hitch

I have this sneaky feeling that John Debney could well snatch the golden lad known as Oscar for his outstanding score to THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.  He was brought the epic religious film score back into fashion in the same way Rosza and Newman did in the 50s and 60s.

No he didn't. If anyone did, it was Yared. And The Passion is a good, effective, score, if suffering a complete lack of personality from the composer (it has plenty of other's personalities, though).

Well POA as I hear in the CD (not seens the movie) has very little preexisting themes, could it still be nominated?

It says that Giacchino or another will win.

It would be great if giacchino had a nomination, but as i said with shore, one should not be awarded the 1st time he gets nominated. He surely will have more chances.

Anyway, didnt ROTK feature music from previous movies? How did it won? I know it has good orchestrations and variations, but some are still cut and pasted...

Will episode III, if it is great, be nominated? is has to mix 3 movies at least (not counting ESB or ROJ)

The rules for the use of music based on a previous score still seems a bit vague to me.

Supposedly The Two Towers was deemed ineligeble because of it, yet ROTK ran and actually won.

I also think that in the case of a sequel, trilogy or saga of films maintaining a thematic unity between films is not something that should be punished.

I guess that is what was the case with ROTK being excepted.

Also, in a film like Ray, that is about the life of Ray Charles, featuring the music the man has written and performed is of pivotal importance.

Being denied a nomination on the basis of that, seems a bit questionable.

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/main.cgi?read=143031

It seems that John Williams' chances are growing. :)

Indeed,this opens up the possiblity that PoA might win this year.I'm not sure the academy will go for Giacchino.

K.M.

Academy officials wouldn't comment on the record, but committee sources confirmed "Aviator's" score ran afoul of music rule B.5.(d): "scores diluted by the use of tracked or pre-existing music."

Then why is James Horner nominated year after year?