Once and for all: The Winner Is . . .

Josh500

At the Oscars 2005, John Williams will . . .  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• . . . win an Oscar for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    • . . . win an Oscar for The Terminal.
    • . . . will be nominated for both scores but not win.
    • . . . will be nominated for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    • . . . will be nominated for The Terminal.
    • . . . will not be nominated at all.

Also, in a film like Ray, that is about the life of Ray Charles, featuring the music the man has written and performed is of pivotal importance.

Being denied a nomination on the basis of that, seems a bit questionable.

I agree that's unfair but I think its probably designed to avoid what happened with Fame winning. If the rule was honest it would say scores will be ineligible to win when there are a lot of songs because the academy is incapable of making the basic distinction between scores and songs. And, in fact, if Ray was nominated, the guy could very well win based on those songs that were written by Ray Charles years ago. But, still, there's no reason a best score couldn't be contained in a movie with lots of songs, so its a very unfair rule, as are many of them.

- Adam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think it's unfair to deny Ray a nomination. The songs were not written for the movie. It would be like nominating a movie for best production design just because it was shot in La Sagrada Familia.

The score was denied nomination. I don't remember the guys' name but Ray had original underscore. So its unfair, in my mind, to deny someone a chance for a nomination just because the movie happens to have lots of songs. There's no reason a best score can't be contained within a movie that has lots of songs. Its also unfair that, if nominated, many would confuse songs and score and vote for the songs, but that's not the score composer's fault.

- Adam

Craig Armstrong...who, like Mark Isham, is a terrific mood scorer...although Ray, like his Quiet American score, is a bit monochromatic for my taste...too insistently downbeat and reliant on atmospherics. Some nice blues stuff in there, though.