Do actors like film scores?

Unlucky Bastard

This question has been bugging me for a while. I really can't imagine big stars like Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts or Russell Crowe really caring about the music that is heard in their films or even collect film score soundtracks. It wouldn't surprise me that the kids in the Harry Potter films even knew that there was orchestral music in their movies, let alone knew they were scored by our lord and master. The only actor I can think of who likes film scores is Anthony Hopkins who showed up for the recording sessions for Red Dragon.

Do actors really care? Would they be just as comfortable with the sound of a jack-hammer in their movies?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder about this too, and I was surprised when JW mentioned in an interview (for Minority Report I think) that Tom Cruise always shows up for scoring sessions. That's pretty cool, but I think you're right that most stars don't even think about it.

Ray Barnsbury

Tom Hanks showed up for the recording of Saving Private Ryan in Symphony Hall. He even read an address written by Abraham Lincoln (the one in the movie) to the orchestra to give them inspiration. (It's on the special features disc)

I actually think a lot of big-name Hollywood actors are fans of John Williams' film scores - after all how could they not be? :happybday:

CYPHER

Kevin Costner is a fan of James Newton Howard, he was impressed with his Wyatt Earp score (Costner starred), so asked him to come onto Waterworld to save the day, and then had him score The Postman (oh, the movies composers get asked to do...).

JNH once said in an interview that Costner was "very clear" about what he wanted for a score, it's obviously something Costner pays close attention to and really appreciates.

Costner even sang a song with Amy Grant for The Postman soundtrack. :happybday: So many actors sing on scores it seems, the LOTR guys did, which was quite nice actually.

I think many actors revere film composers as something akin to gods, they can elevate the most terrible of movies to another level, and often greatly enhance the presentation of the actors' performances.

Actresses Bridget Fonda and Rosanna Arquette both married film composers, and some actors aspire to be film composers themselves, like Clint Eastwood (well, I guess he has made it now, he's been nominated for a Golden Globe....LOL)

And speaking of, Fonda and Elfman are going to have their first baby this year.

Cruise supposedly goes to as many recording sessions as possible. And he loves Zimmer.

Of course Michael Caine loves John Barry and his scores.

Orlando Bloom said he loved Shore's music.

Johnny Depp gave the Pirates of The Carribean team a few compliments, not all of them backhanded.

Tom Cruise once said in an interview (I think this was shortly after FAR AND AWAY came out) that he was really impressed with JW. I don't know whether he ever attended a scoring session -- although it wouldn't surprise me -- but just knowing how he felt about JW made me like him.

Indeed, the opening scene of Born on the Fourth of July and the Land Race from Far and Away are two of the best-scored scenes in movie history.

:happybday:

I always wondered about this. In fact if I was a cast member of Harry Potter I would certainly go to a session, no questions asked. But then I wondered how minor you can be to be allowed to go to one. i.e. would very minor characters/actors be allowed to attend? I wish I was able to audition; my friends and family all said I look like Malfoy. One of my friends even said I acted like him before she knew me...

At least I'd been a fan of the books before the movie was announced. Radcliffe read them after he was cast and I don't think Felton has read one to this day. THEY DON'T DESERVE THOSE ROLES!

Can you imagine someone like Tom Cruise saying, "I hate Hans Zimmer"? It's common courtesy to say "Oh yeah, he's great" in interviews. You never know what your next assignment will be, or with whom you will work with next. You make friends, not enemies. Cruise is an expert in following the rules of professional courtesy. Cruise is a real pro. That said, I believe him to be a true fan of the Zimmer factory.

----------------

Alex Cremers

No, he's gone out of his way to praise Zimmer, and has insisted on more than one occaision that he score his movies. John Woo was going to use John Powel for MI:2, but Cruise insisted on Zimmer personaly, and he also insisted on Zimmer for Last Samurai.

I remember Goldsmith said Sean Connery was one of the rare actors who knew who he was-- it must have been in an interview in Soundtrack.

cmjg01m.giflivier

No to your theory that he's just doing it as a professional courtesy.

I didn't say that. Again, I said he's a fan! I was only trying to point out that it's difficult to know what actors really think. Cruise is always filled with enthusiasm. He's really good at "selling" a picture. (How was it to work with Sean Connery? "Oh, he was great!") But knowing he's also a producer tells me he's got the power to choose anyone he wants. And he chooses Zimmer! (Of course, from a producers' point of view he knows Zimmer can relate to a large audience) I only used Cruise because he's so good at it. He and any other "pro" will always say "great"!

----------------

Alex Cremers

I know Patrick Stewart attended the recording sessions of X2, and Sean Callery has been getting heaps of praise from the cast of 24.

I agree that actors will probably notice and appreciate how the music helps the scenes they're in, and makes them look better.

- Marc

I agree that actors will probably notice and appreciate how the music helps the scenes they're in, and makes them look better.

You are looking at it from a fan's point of view.

I remember Goldsmith said Sean Connery was one of the rare actors who knew who he was-- it must have been in an interview in Soundtrack.

Well, Connery also copied Goldsmith's ponytail for his role in Medicine Man...

Marian - :happybday:

At least I'd been a fan of the books before the movie was announced. Radcliffe read them after he was cast and I don't think Felton has read one to this day. THEY DON'T DESERVE THOSE ROLES!

:roll:

I didn't realize they had to read the books and pass a test to be in a movie.

Neil -who has probably read more James Bond books than Sean Connery

And so you shall be the next 007!!! Get ready, man - here comes the car, the wine, and the WOMEN - woo!!!

In his bit in the liner notes of the Rhino complete Superman Christopher Reeve mentions attending the scoring sessions.

John- who thinks most actors don't give a damn about it. :roll:

I once saw the actor Paul Brooke (who plays the Rancor Keeper in Return of the Jedi) in the audience at a performance of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. I know it's not film music, but the guy obviously likes orchestral music.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, Drax, but it's in the same ballpark.

Damien ROTFLMAO

:roll: What I meant was, they'd have a much better grip of the characters if they read the books. Felton refused to, as he wanted to play the character as the script says. That's very good of him and all, but if it was me, I would play the character from the books.

I wish I was able to audition; my friends and family all said I look like Malfoy. One of my friends even said I acted like him before she knew me...

You coulda been a contender! I believe you, MM! :sigh:

From what people have said about Tom Cruise in this thread, my opinion of him has grown more positive considerably. For years, I always thought he was a superficial jerk.

Just 'cause a guy likes (or claims to like) soundtracks, doesn't mean he's not still a tool. Listen to Alex on this one - I think he's got Mr. Cruise down to a T.

CYPHER

But knowing he's also a producer tells me he's got the power to choose anyone he wants. And he chooses Zimmer! (Of course, from a producers' point of view he knows Zimmer can relate to a large audience)  

----------------

Alex Cremers

Roald's prophecy

It's all coming togheter.

K.M.

But knowing he's also a producer tells me he's got the power to choose anyone he wants. And he chooses Zimmer! (Of course, from a producers' point of view he knows Zimmer can relate to a large audience)  

----------------

Alex Cremers

Roald's prophecy

It's all coming togheter.

Errr ... Roald's prophecy?

I know Patrick Stewart attended the recording sessions of X2, and Sean Callery has been getting heaps of praise from the cast of 24.

- Marc

I was going to mention the Stewart thing too, I read on Ottman's site that Patrick would continually come up to John and ask him about the score and how it was coming

I listened to the Spidey 2 commentary with Raimi and Maguire since I got it for X-Mas and Raimi mentions Elfman a lot, and Maguire says a few words about him too