The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra

Josh500

Does anyone know whatever happened to the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra? In 1990 (I think) John Williams recorded the Star Wars Trilogy with this orchestra, which was assembled by George Lucas so they didn't have to fly to London for the scoring sessions. I haven't heard of the orchestra since . . .

:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But no one has used the term "re-recoded" in this thread, except for you, Ender. Is it a re-recording that was used in the films? Then the term "scoring sessions" from Josh500's first post makes sense, but if it was just for a re-release of the score, then my question still stands, although our two posts combined seem to provide one or two possible answers.

~Conor

But no one has used the term "re-recoded" in this thread, except for you, Ender.  Is it a re-recording that was used in the films?  Then the term "scoring sessions" from Josh500's first post makes sense, but if it was just for a re-release of the score, then my question still stands, although our two posts combined seem to provide one or two possible answers.

~Conor

The recording of 1990 -- The Star Wars Trilogy -- was never used in the films. The original scoring sessions as everybody knows were with the LSO, JW just recorded the best of the three soundtracks over again with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra.

By the way, does anyone have the recording of the Star Wars Trilogy with the Utah Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Varujan Kojian? How does this compare to JW's Star Wars Trilogy?

does anyone have the recording of the Star Wars Trilogy with the Utah Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Varujan Kojian? How does this compare to JW's Star Wars Trilogy?

It's a much better album. The Williams conducted album is too dull in it's interpretations of the music. The Kojian album really has a drive to it that is missing from the Sony snoozefest of an album.

You can read about the various rerecordings in this thread.

Neil

I have the Varujan Jojian recording. It's pretty good, performance and all, though it doesnt stand up to the gorgeous Skywalker recording, still my favorite single Star Wars CD in my collection. JW's incredible "concertization" of the Throne Room cue at the end of the album is worth the price of the CD alone.

To it's credit, the Varujan CD does have some neat cues on it, stuff from the Endor battle in ROTJ and Vader's Death. But you can tell it's not Williams. Still, Star Wars...gotta get that CD.

JW's incredible "concertization" of the Throne Room cue at the end of the album is worth the price of the CD alone.

Which was better performed in 1978 by Gerhardt and Mehta.

Neil - actually listening to the Skywalker album cue right now. Had to get in my annual listening before the year was up. :wave:

JW just recorded the best of the three soundtracks over again with the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra.

To be exact, he recorded parts of the suites, i.e. the concert versions, not real cues from the original soundtracks.

I still don't have the Kojian, though I'd like to hear it; his Korngold recordings are excellent. I still maintain though that the Skywalker Symphony recording is excellent, and though it's quite different to the Gerhardts, of even quality (and better than Gerhardt's overrated ESB, while we are at it :music:).

Marian - glad to see he isn't the only one who likes it.

:thumbup: SWAT (Elliot Goldenthal)

does anyone have the recording of the Star Wars Trilogy with the Utah Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Varujan Kojian? How does this compare to JW's Star Wars Trilogy?

It's a much better album. The Williams conducted album is too dull in it's interpretations of the music. The Kojian album really has a drive to it that is missing from the Sony snoozefest of an album.

You can read about the various rerecordings in this thread.

Neil

Okay, I just went through the thread and I gotta say . . . I've got to get the Varuan Kojian version as well. I've seen it many times in the store but have always avoided it because it wasn't conducted by Williams. I still believe that JW's version will be better, but if it's that good that some prefer the USO version over the SSO version, then it's certainly worth a listen or two.

Josh, who's got two copies of the SSO version because he listened to it so many times that the first CD got worn out that it can't be properly played anymore.

The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra was also used by Christopher Young in Jennifer 8.

Which was basically Christopher Young doing a Presumed Innocent.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Okay, I just got myself the Varese Sarabande release of the Star Wars trilogy. I listened to it twice from beginning to end I gotta say . . . who are we kidding? OF COURSE, the version conducted by JW is way better. The Utah Symphony Orchestra version, though I have to admit is a pretty decent effort, can't hold a lightsaber to the Skywalker Symphony version (to coin a particularly apt phrase).

May the force be with John Williams and any orchestra he decides to conduct in the future!

As a matter of fact, I'm not.

The only thing that struck me as really cute about the Varese Sarabande version is how, at the beginning of Parade of the Ewoks, you can hear those weird sound effects . . . it sounds almost like they had a young bear or tiger or something (perhaps an Ewok) running around the studio during the recording session and had made it squeal and moan at the right moments. That was missing from the JW version, but other than that . . . boy, it made me realize just how great a conductor JW really is.

I think the Skywalker symphony recording sounds bad.It's not together and sometimes out of tune.Also the balance isn't great either.It sounds as if it was put together very quickly.The Utah symphony is much stronger as a group,and quite better technically.It would have been cool to have JW conduct them.

But nothing beats the original recordings of the LSO with JW conducting.

Richard

I like The Imperial March performance, otherwise the remainder of the album is not the greatest IMO. Far too much treble and not enough bass I always thought!

-Tim

I think the Skywalker symphony recording sounds bad.It's not together and sometimes out of tune.Also the balance isn't great either.It sounds as if it was put together very quickly.The Utah symphony is much stronger as a group,and quite better technically.

That's because they weren't a group. It was a bunch of assembled musicians playing together for the first time. I, however, do like the sound of the recording. It's kind of "dry" but without sounding harsh.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's Murphy starting his decline. Did you notice there's actually a piano in Imperial March and Asteroid Field here? Actually, it does sound quite fine...on a good system when you turn up the volume really loud.

Marian - who should listen to it again.

B000002712.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm listening to it right now and I think it's very underrated around these parts of the galaxy. It gives me more pleasure than the three SE combined.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Sometimes Skywalker's tempo is different but the Special Editions sound unnatural and have an awkward tone color and even stranger ambience. I find them almost impossible to listen to, let alone enjoyable.

----------------

Alex Cremers - it is decided.

Slow tempos are good. The Skywalker Symphony's Asteroid Field and Throne Room are great, and their Imperial March is unmatched.

Other highlights for me are 'Princess Leia' and 'The Little People'. Maybe we should start our own little Star Wars fan club. ;)

----------------

Alex Cremers

The best Sony album interpretation of the Star Wars music is the LSO's re-recording of the main theme with Williams in 1996 on The Hollywood Sound release - a terrific album in its entirety if nobody has listened to it yet:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...9031740-5548615

-Tim.

I've got plenty of great Sony albums, most of them by Bernstein, Szell and Williams.

Marian - ;)

:sigh: The Aviator (Howard Shore)

Not hearing great things about Shore's The Aviator, so what's your opinion Marian?

-Tim (looking forward to seeing the film next week!)

and their Imperial March is unmatched.

I don't care for the album as a whole but you are correct their interpretation of the Imperial March is the best version I've ever heard.

Justin

Not hearing great things about Shore's The Aviator, so what's your opinion Marian?

It's really good. Hard to say more about it because I only just got it and listened to it a few times. A couple of short bits slightly remind me of LOTR.

Marian - who will listen to it again tonight.

• 10 years later...

That's because they weren't a group. It was a bunch of assembled musicians playing together for the first time. I, however, do like the sound of the recording. It's kind of "dry" but without sounding harsh.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yep. This album has perhaps the best version of The Imperial March ever. I'm listening to it right now and basically everything is on point. Nice dry recording of a fantastic performance. Shawn Murphy was involved, so this was still before the dark times.

and their Imperial March is unmatched.

I don't care for the album as a whole but you are correct their interpretation of the Imperial March is the best version I've ever heard.

Justin

I miss Justin.....

But he's dead, right?