Which Williams release is the biggest Godsend?

King Mark

Biggest Godsend?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• TPM UE
    • Raiders DCC Expanded
    • American Journey c.d.
    • E.T. Expanded
    • Star Wars Trilogy Special Editions
    • Star Wars 94 Box Set
    • The Towering Inferno FSM
    • Heartbeeps
    • CE3K Expanded
    • Superman Rhino
    • Jaws 25th Anniversary
    • Amazing Story Varese Re-Recording
    • Home Alone 2 complete 2 c.d. set
    • Irwin Allen Box Set

Of all the Williams c.d.'s official c.d.'s,which one did jump for joy the most the day it was announced because your prayers had been answered?I'm not talking about regular OST's because we'll get them anyways,but the stuff you didn't think would make it to c.d. but did anyways.

I think we can all be thankful for these releases.

K.M.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SE's surely must not be taken for granted,as the Indy complete scores see no signs of release,and if one would expect automatic expanded releases,it would be the Indy scores second to Star Wars.

K.M.

But Star Wars is cash cow, Indy is not (thank god). I'll give up expanded Indy CDs for the franchise not to be ruined by becoming like Star Wars.

I just found out I'm a sucker for normal, regular releases. The expanded versions of E.T., CE3K, Jaws and The Fury didn't really bring me that much joy. And altough I was quite happy with the Raiders of the Lost Ark DCC release at the time, my vote also goes to the Superman Rhino discs.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hmm.... I wasn't a Williams fan yet when most of these CDs were announced, although I do have a lot of them now. But I do remember being most excited when the 20th Anniversary release of E.T. was coming along, because it was one of the scores I was dying to get my hands on. So E.T. it is.

- Marc

This is very hard... To choose one of this and leave the others out.

I've always wished that ET had a compelte release, afterall this is my favourite film score ever, but in the end, I always prefer the original, more concert oriented, release.

I was thrilled with the news of the Raiders of the Lost Ark exandade, as was with Close Encouters. I loved both albuns, but...

If I really had to pick one it has to be the Star Wars Anthology Box Set (by the way, this was released in 1993, not 1994). This is how I believe expanded editions should be. Really something to stand out.

I have the same feelings as Miguel. ET is my favorite score of all time, and I was delighted to get the expaned version of it (all subsequent numerous versions...) and was very excited for Varese's club releases. But I had to vote for The Towering Inferno first and foremost because without this release, I would have such a gaping hole in my collection. (I can imagine Neil quoting me here, and putting a link to the picture of that hole.....) But if I were to choose a runner up it would be American Journey because of the official releases of his concertos, and rarer works and also of the 'what I thought would never be released' Unfinished Journey.

Ironically... my copy of American Journey was stolen. (For those who remember.... that was the shaking event that led up to the collapse of the wall).

As usual it is up to me to support the Towering Inferno, a glorious album that had no real cd release, and it the JW treasure in my collection. Yes, I know there is a bootleg, but it is an illigetimate release.

I've always wished that ET had a compelte release, afterall this is my favourite film score ever, but in the end, I always prefer the original, more concert oriented, release

despite our differences in many opinions, on this Miguel you and I are in agreement. The original E.T. score was perfect.

I would have to say it still lies (hopefully) in the future, to wit the expanded version of the three Star Wars prequels . . . released in the same vein as the original Star Wars trilogy. That would be the day . . .

:)

Superman - The Movie is the album for me. I remember I finally saw the expanded television version of the movie and hearing all of this great previously unused and unreleased music and realizing how important a release of the complete score would actually be. I also thought I was one of a handful of people that actually wanted to hear this music. I was then thrilled when this album was announced and I can remember going to Tower Records at midnight to buy it and how I got choked up in the car as the previously unreleased intro started playing. This is a perfect film score and the perfect Williams release.

Neil

I voted for the Complete Temple of Doom.

No wait, I voted for Raiders. But "ask me tomorrow and this may change".

In order (these are the ones I own):

1 - Raiders

2 - Superman (very very close second)

3 - Star Wars Trilogy SE (I have the 1997's editions)

4 - TPM UE (for the same reason John Crichton said)

5 - Jaws (hey, this is the first score I ever bought. I was 16 and I bought this together with the Last Crusade OST)

6 - E.T.

7 - Home Alone 2

Star Wars SE. Great releases and I bought in a very special time in my life. The scores are responsible for some of the most pleasant times of my life.

I'm with Miguel, as much as I love E.T, it's not a score that benefits that much from a complete release. The same with Close Encounters. But with Starwars, you just got have all the music.

Definitely Superman for me. Before it was released I saw the re-recording and automatically thought it was the original score. I listened to my fav track "Helicopter Rescue" and realised it didn't have the same fullness about it and then I realised it was by John Debney. I put it down straight away and walked out very disappointed. Later when I did see the Rhino release I bought it straight away, from overseas and at a time when the exchange rate made it much more expensive. But how much it cost was nothing compared to how much I have enjoyed it.

I love the Prologue intro music and Helicopter Rescue.

As usual it is up to me to support the Towering Inferno, a glorious album that had no real cd release, and it the JW treasure in my collection.  Yes, I know there is a bootleg, but it is an illigetimate release.

Joe, I was one step ahead of you... I voted for "Towering Inferno" as well.

... but now checking in on it, my vote wasn't cast when I made my first post and not sure why....but I did vote before you! :)

thanks Johnny, looks like we will be the only ones to vote for it.

Star Wars SEs for me. This partially reflects my obession w/ Star Wars around 1997, but more so, I think Star Wars, the grand space opera, above all else, requires a full release for its true appreciation. Just a shame about ROTJ Disc 2's sound quality, and the loss of Jabba's Sail Barge music.

If a truly complete release of the prequel scores ever gets out, I will consider that a godsend as well, second only to a complete release of the Indy scores.

I haven't voted yet,but the Irwin Allen box set which no one mentions rates high on the list of "lucky" releases.I grew up on Lost in Space and love the music,so I was jumping up and down when there was mention it would be released on Entertainement Tonight of all places.Then was the usual visit to record stores with salesclerks not haveing an idea of what it was,couldn't find it in the computer...etc...

But I guess my most thrilling find was the SW Box Set in 1993.I was happy about the SE's but it wasn't the same impact.

Amazing stories was great news,since I had taped the Mission score on a Minidisk straight from the Lazserdisk.Now i NEVER thought THAT would make it to c.d.

Heartbeeps was a very pleasent surprise.

Superman Rhino had the Varese re-recording before it,so I was thrilled to a lesser extent

I didn"t remember all the unreleased music from E.T.,but in the end the 96 and 2002 releases were dissapointement since they did not include the Film version of E.T. is Dying,my favourite short cue of the score,plus the Original album version of Adventures on Earth is better.

Raiders DCC is great to the point where I find a complete Raiders is unnessary right now(not above other scores.

American Journey was great news especially since I had most of those recordings in crappy bootleg quality(and narration over the UJ...urrrgh)

Towering inferno is OK,but I'm also happy with some re-recordings of the best cues from Silva and Varese.On the whole I haven't listened to it much

Don't care much about the Jaws 25th aniversary c.d.The Varese re-recording is better,and the original album is the best.

We should be grateful to have these.I feel they were released when soundtracks became a bit more popular in the 90's,and it's not a given that because a movie is popular that it will see a complete c.d. release(HP,Indy)

K.M.

I wasn't really a huge Williams fan in '97 for the SW releases. Personally for me I'd say The Fury was the most thrilling release.

Justin - Who see's KM already saved him the trouble of voting by not including it! :angry:

We should be grateful to have these.I feel they were released when soundtracks became a bit more popular in the 90's,and it's not a given that because a movie is popular that it will see a complete c.d. release(HP,Indy)

What? Score soundtracks aren't popular in the 2000's?

Whats funny is given Mark's original question, most of you had no way of knowing the majority of these were coming out as there were no big announcements on most of these CD's