While you're listening to JW . . .

Josh500

Generally when you listen to a JW score, what goes through your head?  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• You try to picture the movie/scene(s) from the movie the music was written for.
    • You just concentrate on the music and the typically mind-blowing JW-orchestration.
    • You don't think about the music because when you're listening to JW, you're doing something else.
    • You picture JW conducting the music you're listening to.
    • You have personal thoughts (don't tell us what).
    • You generally blank out whenever you start listening to JW. Talked about mesmerized.
    • Other.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.... This changes from time to time for me, so I can't really decide. Nut yeah, it's mostly option 2, with option 1 frequently happening as well, but not as much.

Oh, and you left out "you start waving your arms wildly through the air, pretending you're conducting the music yourself" (yes, other option, but it should've been a seperat choice IMO). :angry:

Well the option I'd have to chose isn't even mentioned:

Normally I pretend conducting the orchestra myself with a fibre-glass baton in my hand infront of the mirror....and I can say it's the greatest fun on earth!! :angry:

...but yes, since during doing that I have to concentrate very much on the orchestration I should vote for that point...but I'll wait: maybe my option will be added? ;)

The question was what goes through your head. Not what are you doing with your hands and feet while you're listening to JW. :angry: I'm sure JW thinks about the specific scenes of the movie he's scoring while he's conducting the orchestra . . .

Well, an obvious omission was the "You conduct as if you are John Williams" option....(heehee, glad to see I'm not the only one)

As far what goes on in the head, definitely #2! ;)

Another alternative you could have was "You dance the feelings his music inspires" I have danced since I was young, and for fun sometimes I dance to JW scores, like lyrical ballet style, when the music inspires me. JW music would be really perfect to choreography ballet to.

Pure enjoyment. It brings home the music to you in a new way :angry:

Greta

Well, I couldn't conduct like I'm JW, because I don't know the least thing about actual conducting, so I'm usually just flopping my arms around to the music the way it swirls through my head. :angry:

For me it's mainly option #1, with some of option #2. I love the way the narrative of the movie flows through the score, and also love listening to the develpoment and flow of the score, both thematic and otherwise. Which is why I'm a devoted follower of the C&C rule. ;)

I've never really tried "air conducting". If I'm listening on headphones there's usually quite a bit of finger tapping involved, and if I'm listening in the car or on comp/stereo there's usually quite a bit of whistling. Yes, I'm a whistler. :angry:

Yeah, whistling happens a lot here too. Sometimes I'm in the back of the car with my earphones plugged in and a CD playing in my DiscMan, and I suddenly start whistling along to some phrases. Must be weird if you're sitting in the front when I do that. :angry:

You have personal thoughts (don't tell us what).

"I love John Williams more than I love toffee...and I'm a man that loves his toffee."

"Oh Williams, how did you write your magnificent theme for M*A*S*H?"

"Ray is fat?"

"Picard is so much better."

"I don't need to listen to this crap where's my Shore?"

"Smnol."

"Neil is such a handsome man."

"You are.....my lucky....star.....you are my.....lucky....star.... :angry: "

Justin

"you start waving your arms wildly through the air, pretending you're conducting the music yourself"

LOL

I would voted for this one, if it was in the options!!

I voted for option 1, sometimes I also do #2!

A little bit of option 1, I'll picture myself conducting and with most music I'll picture myself as a director and I'll think about what kind of scenes I'd use the music for

"You are.....my lucky....star.....you are my.....lucky....star.... :sigh: "

What 2 movies is that from?

I know it's from Alien.

Justin

"You are.....my lucky....star.....you are my.....lucky....star.... :sigh: "

What 2 movies is that from?

I know it's from Alien.

I know that you know that. What's the other earlier film? Here's a hint: Michael Kamen referenced it several times.

Neil

I have to admit, I'm usually not paying too much attention when I listen to JW, I'm usually trying to get myself motivated to do homework.

I voted #2.....but i love to conduct JW's music...i do it a lot with the scores i have.He is definately a musical genius to write that stuff...so timed..yet so musical

Richard

Generally when you listen to a JW score, what goes through your head?

"That dumb censored just cut me off!"

Neil - who listens to a lot of music while driving

I probably do a little bit of everything listed at various times. Depends on my mood. I would actually add an option "You try to picture the movie/scene(s) from the movie the music wasn't written for." A lot of times, I imagine how JW music will go with other movies--either ones that have been made or that haven't been made.

I forgot about whistling, it's almost constant for me. Probably really annoying for anyone nearby.

Ray Barnsbury - who air conducts once in a while too

I usually air conduct... yes even while driving (which has given me some pretty strange looks from fellow drivers.... and cops). But when I cannot do that, I imagine Williams conducting..... and sometimes imagine myself conducting.

This thread makes me realize that I'm not A) as strange as some people say and B) happy that I'm not the only one who does this!

I sing along with the music... Sometimes, depending on how "into the music" I am, I will yell things at the CD player... Things like...

Oh, yeah, John... Take us home!!! or Yeah, you da MAN!!!

Considering, I have a very loud voice and live in an apartment, my neighbours must think I am nuts!

And I conduct also... Been doing that since I was a kid. My wife used tolaugh at me... :oops:

And I conduct also... Been doing that since I was a kid. My wife used tolaugh at me...  :oops:

Drink with me, Comrade. For i feel your pain. You see, I too am a Pseudo Conductor (applause at my admission). I was once caught red handed, air conducting Beethoven's Coriolan Overture (at full volume). Bug eyed, fists shaking, and a look of demonic hell unleashed, on my face. One second i was the powerful wrath of God personified. The very next second i was suddenly reduced to a very meek looking and embarrassed mouse, when i noticed (to my horror) that someone had entered the house and was "aghast" at my antics. Oh woe. I'll never forget that moment.....and nor will they. :oops: They're just lucky they've not seen me air conducting Arthur's Farewell from First Knight, or Adventures on Earth. Get the straight jacket. :sleepy:

Well, an obvious omission was the "You conduct as if you are John Williams" option....(heehee, glad to see I'm not the only one)

As a conductor who loves Williams' style, I gotta go with this and voted "Other".....

Drink with me, Comrade. For i feel your pain. You see, I too am a Pseudo Conductor (applause at my admission). I was once caught red handed, air conducting Beethoven's Coriolan Overture (at full volume). Bug eyed, fists shaking, and a look of demonic hell unleashed, on my face. One second i was the powerful wrath of God personified. The very next second i was suddenly reduced to a very meek looking and embarrassed mouse, when i noticed (to my horror) that someone had entered the house and was "aghast" at my antics. Oh woe. I'll never forget that moment.....and nor will they.

Same thing happened to me... except it was the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky... I had been conducting the entire piece, and had just moved into the big finish, when my Grandmother walked into the bedroom... She just shook her head and walked out, however in a moment of jest, one afternoon when I had my girlfriend (later my wife) over to the house, she told her to watch out because I might start having a fit and go into convulsions... Tamara was surprised to hear this about me, and I was forced to explain that my Grandmother was refering to my "air conducting" skills... Sigh, I miss them both.

This place is full of nerds!!  

Justin

14_geeks.jpg

ha-ha, ha-ha, snort