Sub-Mariner.

Josh500

According to IMDB, John Williams will collaborate in 2006 with Chris Columbus yet again on the movie Sub-Mariner, which is a sequel (follow-up?) to Rent. Does anyone know anything about those movies?

I'd love to see JW work with CC again . . .

:angry:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I don't see John Williams as being adequate for anything related to Rent. Also, I find it particularly hard to believe that they have already hired a composer for a sequel to a movie that hasn't been made yet.

-Ross, who isn't sure how adequate Chris Columbus is for anything related to Rent, either.

More Info on Sub-Mariner

From BSOSpirit.com

"One more Marvel legend is about to be taken to the big screen. Now it's Prince Namor's turn, a hero that is half-man/half-water creature. Chris Columbus plans to write and direct a new film on this a Marvel star which will be entitled Sub-Mariner and will be released in 2006. Columbus has already asked John Williams to write a score for this film. In fact, the director and the composer have been working together in several films, and know one another quite well."

BSO Spirit is the big Spanish soundtrack site, I translated it with Babelfish, and then tried to fix the bad "spanglish" LOL

Sounds neat, but, what does this have to do with Rent????

EDIT:: Okay, I looked at IMDB, you were misinterpreting them (they were sort of unclear), they just meant that Sub-Mariner will be the following movie Chris Columbus directs after he does Rent. The two are NOT RELATED at all, just same director.

Greta - hoping to clear up confusion :angry:

Ross - I don't know how adequate Chris Columbus will be for Rent either, but nevertheless....

And CC is going with Jonathan Larson's original music for Rent, it's basically going to be a screen version of the Broadway musical, with many of the original cast reprising their roles. (from IMDB.com)

Greta

Yes, I've checked that, and I was happy to see that the main cast was still there. Won't they look a bit old for the roles, anyway?

In any case, voice-wise, the Broadway cast couldn't be better. I love Adam Pascal, and I'm growing into liking Anthony Rapp. That's a tad harder since I became acquainted with him in... You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, the terrible 1999 recording of the not-so-good musical to begin with.

One last thing, if you check the IMDB boards, you'll see a pdf copy of the screenplay. Now, I didn't read it because I never saw the point of doing that, but according to some posters, most of the songs are being turned to dialogue, and changed so that they don't rhyme. Cinematographically, I can't argue with that choice. But artistically, I think it's a very bad idea.

I would rather see Williams work with a real director again.

That's a bit harsh, after JW worked with CC on Home Alone 1+2 and Harry Potter 1+2. :angry:

I agree, except I'd change 'a bit harsh' to 'apt' and ;) to :).

Morlock- who only thinks one of those films was well directed

Chris Columbus is one of the best and most talented (not to mention successful) directors of all time -- that's not my personal opinion but simple fact. Period. I don't know what you've got against him.

Chris Columbus is one of the best and most talented (not to mention successful) directors of all time --  that's not my personal opinion but simple fact. Period. I don't know what you've got against him.

I just happen to disagree with your opinion that it is a simple fact that he is one of the best and most talented directors of all time.

Aside from Home Alone, IMO none of his films that I've seen benefit from particulaly good directing.

Chris Columbus is one of the best and most talented (not to mention successful) directors of all time --  that's not my personal opinion but simple fact. Period. I don't know what you've got against him.

Well, I've got nothing against him but he's a bit faceless, isn't he? The films he directed aren't even really his films either. He's just a gun for hire. What is his importance? Who did he influenced? Where is his stamp on history? To say he's one of the best director ever is a true insult to the real and acknowledged great directors such as Billy Wilder, John Huston, David Lean, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Steven Spielberg.

Directors who might make it into the Hall Of Greats (if they haven't already) are names like a Tartantino or a David Lynch.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Chris Columbus, Colombo, whatever is an ADEQUATE director, but he is certainly not a GREAT director who you would mention alongside Tarantino, Spielberg, Jackson, Fincher, Scorsese or Cameron. Those are GIANTS in modern cinema.

Roald

P.S. Sub-Marinir sounds like a REALLY COOL project for Williams! I think the last years produced some really interesting material for the meastro: the new Star Wars films, the Harry Potter films, War of The Worlds (hopefully) and now (again; hopefully) Sub-Mariner. It feels like the 70's and '80's all over again.

Roald

I doubt there's any concrete info around this, probably just imdb assumed the next CC film would be scored by his most frequent composer.

based on just pure comic-ness I'm not that excited about the movie, if Williams is on it I'm a bit more excited but not by much

Columbus is another Joe Dante or Richard Donner. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guys. They're reliable entertainers, but they just work well with what's already been done, rather than innovate.

A new superhero movie for JW?I was hoping he'd do another one some time,especially a swimming superhero! JW is good at evoking the sea.

K.M.Who endorses this idea.

Perhaps a quote from Jaws, really blatantly if it's a comical scene (re: Yoda quote in E.T.'s Halloween) or cleverly entangled if dramatic.

Bowie - whose excitement towards birthdays and Christmas is now completely faded, and gratefully replaced with anticipation of more Williams scores. At his age, any should be savoured (shame on you if you haven't heard The Terminal!)

:baaa:

Well, I've got nothing against him but he's a bit faceless, isn't he? The films he directed aren't even really his films either. He's just a gun for hire. What is his importance? Who did he influenced? Where is his stamp on history? To say he's one of the best director ever is a true insult to the real and acknowledged great directors such as Billy Wilder, John Huston, David Lean, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Steven Spielberg.

Directors who might make it into the Hall Of Greats (if they haven't already) are names like a Tartantino or a David Lynch.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, I know what you mean and the directors you mentioned certainly ARE giants, but they're also a bit older than Chris Columbus, aren't they? And as far as his stamp on history goes, IMO it's a bit early for that (well, you COULD compare him to Steven Spielberg, but that wouldn't be really fair, would it?) . . .

But someone who's already helmed such smash-hits like Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Harry Potter is most definitely a director worth watching. And the fact that he's disassociated himself from the HP franchise to pursue his own projects shows that he's not ONLY out for money -- besides, he's the head of his production company 1492, so it isn't true that he's acting ONLY as a gun for hire these days. IMO, we can expect great things from this (relatively) young director in the future.

:sleepy:

Well, I know what you mean and the directors you mentioned certainly ARE giants, but they're also a bit older than Chris Columbus, aren't they? And as far as his stamp on history goes, IMO it's a bit early for that (well, you COULD compare him to Steven Spielberg, but that wouldn't be really fair, would it?) . . .

I don't think so, no. It's a bit early to tell because he's still making movies, and may have several masterpieces in the future. But were he to stop making films today, he would be quickly forgotten.

But someone who's already helmed such smash-hits like Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Harry Potter is most definitely a director worth watching.

Doesn't sound like much of a recommendation to me. It's like saying "But someone who's already helmed such smash-hits like Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon is most definately a director worth watching". A smash-hit means didley squat to how good a filmmaker is.

And the fact that he's disassociated himself from the HP franchise to pursue his own projects shows that he's not ONLY out for money

I never said he was in it for the money. I think he wants to make great, classic, movies. I just don't think he's amazingly good at it so far.

IMO, we can expect great things from this (relatively) young director in the future.

We probably can, but saying he's one of the greatest directors based on his current filmography is baseless.

Morlock, I think you've got a bit of a skewed perspective. Do you know how many struggling directors there are out there, most of them just plain awful? Sure, if you compare Chris Columbus to directors like Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, or even George Lucas, he may not look so hot, but those are MASTERS, almost prodigies. You don't have to be a master or a prodigy to be considered just "great." You may be right that if he stopped making films today he would be quickly forgotten -- we could argue about that -- but I think some of his movies are gonna be watched for a long time to come. And while we're at it, I shudder to imagine how SS might have turned out if it had been helmed by a less talented director (i.e. Alfonso Cuaron . . . he's obviously talented, but not on the same level as Chris Columbus -- not by a long shot).

I think people tend to overly criticize people who produce/direct movies which are pure entertainment and are highly successful at it (and Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Harry Potter are some of the most successful films in movie history), just like Steven Spielberg was at some point in his career.

Also, considering what this site is for, the fact that JW is willing to work with him over and over again should tell us something about how dedicated and talented a director CC really is.

I shudder to imagine how SS might have turned out if it had been helmed by a less talented director (i.e. Alfonso Cuaron . . . he's obviously talented, but not on the same level as Chris Columbus -- not by a long shot).

:sleepy:

The best directed Harry Potter film, for me, is obviously the third one. This is where it got interesting - we can only regret that Cuaron doesn't do the fourth. I mostly agree with Alex and Morlock here. I feel that Columbus is indeed a hired gun - but not like it's been interpreted here: he's a director that makes a film out of a screenplay. But that's all. Harry Potter was faithful to the books. Well, er, good? He just put all those actors and set design (which were all great), in front of his camera. Cuaron, on the other hand, really adapted the book. You can't judge a film by its book, that's a very false perspective - both media are very specific, and Cuaron did an excellent job at exploiting that specificity. To give a very obvious example, apart from a great directorial style, look at the CGI snow, the move of the camera into the mirror after the Boggart is put away, etc. I don't feel that Columbus did anything with the material. He's someone who's excellent at choosing material to film.

And while we're at it' date=' I shudder to imagine how SS might have turned out if it had been helmed by a less talented director (i.e. Alfonso Cuaron . . . he's obviously talented, but not on the same level as Chris Columbus -- not by a long shot). quote']

Josh, compare two films from the same genre - in this case family entertainment:

A Little Princess - Alfonso Cuaron & Home Alone - Chris Columbus

Cuaron is a far superior director than Columbus based upon the above films alone, doesn't take rocket science to figure that one. Successful direction is not just about commercial success as in Columbus' case.

I have nothing against Columbus, indeed I like him and have enjoyed his work in film back before he even directed when he wrote for Gremlins, Goonies & Young Sherlock etc.

To say Cuaran is less talented is too much of a sweeping statement, specifically when you compare his artistic contribution to the medium of film.

-Tim

And while we're at it, I shudder to imagine how SS might have turned out if it had been helmed by a less talented director (i.e. Alfonso Cuaron . . . he's obviously talented, but not on the same level as Chris Columbus -- not by a long shot).

Alfonso Cuaron films are typicaly better directed than Columbus films.

Also, considering what this site is for, the fact that JW is willing to work with him over and over again should tell us something about how dedicated and talented a director CC really is.

It's tells us absolutely nothing of the sort. It tells us he has the minimal intelligence to hire the best, and that he's a nice enough guy that the best would like to work with him repeatedly. And except for the 2 sequels- JW wasn't the first choice for those those movies.

Chris Columbus is just another Henry Koster in history. A guy who makes movies you know, but you don't know him. Zemeckis is in the Twilight Zone, somewhere in between the giants and the Dantes/Donners. When people hear the name Robert Zemeckis, they're like, "Where've I heard that name before?" Chris Columbus, they're like, "The explorer?" (Who's his DP? Galileo?) Columbus has talent and most of us enjoy his movies, whether they are "great" or not. Not every movie has an obligation to be an epic or offer profound insight into the mind of man. I think Richard Donner makes this perfectly clear. Movies are, at times, meant to be fun. If a director wants to only make fun movies and not really be remembered more than his movies--that's his own damn business (and I salute him for it). He's under no obligation to be an egomaniac and make sure his name goes in the history books and gets top billing. If he makes a good movie, I say he can do whatever the hell he wants.

At least that's what the IMDB is claiming. sounds quite interesting, and it makes sense, since it's Chris Columbus.

Thoughts on this?

--Pelzter

Haahahhahahhah very funny!!

You didn't know that you're kind of duplicating the 'Sub-Mariner' thread already in existance?

Roald :happybday:

It tells us he has the minimal intelligence to hire the best, and that he's a nice enough guy that the best would like to work with him repeatedly. And except for the 2 sequels- JW wasn't the first choice for those those movies.

You really think JW keeps working with him over and over again, even going so far as to write 2 sequels, just because CC is "a nice guy"? Give him a little more credit, will ya???

:D

This reminds me of the time we heard Williams was going to score Hulk.

Neil

With the diference that Ang Lee has never worked with Williams and Columbus has done it several times (second in the list after Spielberg, in par with Lucas, but the latter has been only a series, being a 'must' for that, though indy is much Lucas' nevertheless... )