Complete Cutthroat Island release imminent!

Read about it here:

http://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/013382.html

And here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/post...24557&forumID=1

This is great news, since it is one of my absolute favorite scores!

Brilliant rousing action music, a kick ass theme and BRILLIANT sound quality.

I can't wait!

The most overrated score in history, but it's got a great theme. I have to remind myself I'm not listening to Independence Day during a lot of it though. Suffers from the lack of character of all Debney's scores- it's not Debney, it's Debney doing a great imitation of whoever was supposed to/could've scored the film.

Morlock- who has not tempted Steef's wrath and contempt in a while. Oh, I mean Stef's.

it's Debney doing a great imitation of whoever was supposed to/could've scored the film.

David Arnold.

But indeed a great score. The score is sometimes a bit too 'loud' to my taste; but I'll get this release most certainly. Really wonderful - the Belgian label Prometheus is doing a lot of great stuff lately.

I got this score last summer and have really enjoyed it. But is more really necessary? It doesn't seem like the OST leaves anything to be desired; it can even be a little much as it is.

Ray Barnsbury

I have to remind myself I'm not listening to Independence Day during a lot of it though.

Cutthroat Island opened on Christmas Day 1995, while Independence Day started the evening of July 2, 1996.

Neil - who was at both movies opening day

It's too loud and relentless.Lacks subtelty and hurts my ears.The OST is interminable and overbearing as it is,why a complete score?

K.M.Once again shocked that important Williams releases don't get complete score releases before less important scores.

Great main theme... never really got into the rest of the score. But I'll get this so I can get rid of that *other* set :sigh: since the second disc was lost in the great case of the "stolen cds" from a few months back.

K.M.Once again shocked that important Williams releases don't get complete score releases before less important scores.

Doesn't it make you wish Temple of Doom and Last Crusade were recorded in London and not in LA?

Neil

I'm very happy about this anouncement. It caused me to pop in my Sinbad CD, and remember all over again how great the score is. Except for RoTK, the best score of 2003.

...and Sinbad, in turn, has inspired me to pick up Cutthroat Island again. I always forget how much I actually like this score. It's very, very, very good. IMO sounds like David Arnold, but it's fantastic. The energy is just unparalleled, though it does get a bit overbearing at times. I wish they were more small moments like the begining of 'Charting The Course' (which sounds just like Goldsmith to me). The score often loses focus IMO, just descends into action scoring lacking any personality, but always regains itself quickly to something marvelous. 'Dawg's Demise and The Triumph' is a good example of this, it starts off a bit vague and messy, but once it finds it's way, it's one amazing cue till the end.

Overall, CI is a great score. I personaly like Sinbad more, it's more fun, and is a more varied listening experience. And while the theme is not as good as CI, the use of it and it's variations are just plain wonderful.

I did not need an expanded release, but, being the sucker for swashbucklers that I am (who isn't?), I'll probably get it anyway. I still think Hook is the greatest pirates score ever, nothing yet comes close, but strictly as a swashbucklers, Cutthroat Island is on my short list of favorites, with Sinbad, Hook, and all of the Korngold ones. I don't know Mutiny on The Bounty, so I can't wait for the FSM CD. And I hear Sarde's Pirates is supposed to be good.

I'm very happy about this anouncement. It caused me to pop in my Sinbad CD, and remember all over again how great the score is. Except for RoTK, the best score of 2003.

Sinbad is great, but is it better than Finding Nemo?

Some, seem to think so.

Others, not so much.

Justin

You've been unusualy entertaining in your posts lately. Just thought I'd point that out. :happybday:

Sinbad is great, but is it better than Finding Nemo?

Seeing as I'm not a big Finding Nemo fan, I would certainly say Sinbad is my favorite of the two.

I hate to interrupt this thread for a moment, but I PM'd MSM on the 20th of December and it's still unread. MSM, please read your private messages!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Cutthroat Island thread.

Does anyone have the artwork saved? Banning's site has removed it.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to Music From The Movies new releases page, apparently Cutthroat Island will be released by Prometheus on March 1st!

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/uccd.asp

I am worried though that this news is not spread elsewhere, so is this all really true?

A delay because of... artwork? Oh boy... I really do hope this complete score really does get released sometime soon... or sometime at all...

Relax, I don't even think we were supposed to know about this album in the first place. Didn't the info leak out? It is happening, there is just a delay. This is why FSM and Varese are so careful with their releases. They don't want the bad publicity if a title is delayed.

Neil

I have to remind myself I'm not listening to Independence Day during a lot of it though.

Cutthroat Island opened on Christmas Day 1995, while Independence Day started the evening of July 2, 1996.

That doesn't mean the scores aren't stylistically very alike.

MSM - who prefers Independence Day nonetheless.

Neil - who was at both movies opening day

You are very proud of that, are you not? :angry:

Thanks, Stefancos. I have my information now. :) No more worries. The only question I have left would be where to buy the CD once it comes out (which site)? Prometheus's official site I would guess.

• 3 weeks later...