Non-Williams 2005 Scores

John Crichton

What scores are you most looking forward to this year besides the three that JW will be doing? My list:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- I'm glad that Doyle has fans here, it's made me look forward to see what he'll do with this, even though I'm still real disappointed Williams won't be involved. And I hope certain recent reports have been exaggerated...

Serenity- I hope Joss gets Christophe Beck back for this. They worked real good together and Beck showed quite a bit of talent during his years on Buffy and Angel. He deserves a film like this to hopefully launch a film career. Somehow I don't think American Wedding was that film. :thumbup:

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children- Nobou Uematsu revisits one of his best FF scores for his first ever actual film score. I think is going to be heaven on earth for us Uemastu fans. :mrgreen:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- The more I think about this the more I want to see it, and we could get some real good whimsical nuttiness from Elfman here.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What scores are you most looking forward to this year besides the three that JW will be doing?

. KING KONG (Howard Shore) -- it will be interesting to see how Shore will tackle action/adventure scoring. Eager to hear also if there will be nods to Max Steiner's original.

. CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (Danny Elfman) -- I'm sure this will be really Danny-on-acid! A sort of wacky children's musical. I hope Danny will pull out all the stops on this one.

. THE CORPSE BRIDE (Danny Elfman )-- Another Tim Burton gothic stop-motion fantasy. It will be a musical as well. Interesting to see how Danny will tackle this, after more than 10 years since his seminal Nightmare Before Christmas.

. BATMAN BEGINS (James Newton Howard + Hans Zimmer) -- Well, this could easily transform into a total misfire. But I'm interested to see how the two composers will (or will not) merge their very different sounds. And who'll write the main Batman theme? :mrgreen:

. CINDERELLA MAN (Thomas Newman) -- since I'm a big fan of Tom Newman, I await eagerly any new work he'll come up with.

. HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE -- finally Patrick Doyle lands on a project well worth his great talents since years. I'm sure his lush, brooding and fluid stylings will work great on this.

Other related things: Elliot Goldenthal's opera GRENDEL should debut at the end of this year. I'm very eager to hear it!

Well, these are the major things that come up to mind now... but I'm sure 2005 will be The John Williams' Year more than anything else... :thumbup:

Definitely Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'm curious as to wheter Doyle will incorporate some of the JW-themes in the new film. Probably not, with the likely exception of Hedwig's Theme. I wonder whether JW gets a credit on the teaser poster or trailer . . . Original Themes (Hedwig's Theme) by John Williams . . .

:mrgreen:

Right now

I don't care about film scores anymore except for what Williams is still composing and a handful of scores that have popped up in the last few years by other people(Sky Captain for example,and LotR a little bit)

So there is no new score other than Williams I "look forward" to.If I hear something to win me over I'll know in the cinema when I see the film.

There is a slight possiblity that GoF,IF Williams themes are used and adapted throughout,might be interesting.So far none of Doyle's scores I've heard said to me that I must own the c.d. and listen to the music outside of the film.

K.M.

Right now

I don't care about film scores anymore except for what Williams  is still composing and a handful of scores that have popped up in the last few years by other people(Sky Captain for example,and LotR a little bit)

So there is no new score other than Williams I "look forward" to.If I hear something to win me over I'll know in the cinema when I see the film.

There is a slight possiblity that GoF,IF Williams themes are used and adapted throughout,might be interesting.So far none of Doyle's scores I've heard said to me that I must own the c.d. and listen to the music outside of the film.

K.M.

I think I'm gonna get the GoF score just to compare Doyle to Williams. It will undoubtedly make me realize just how exceptionally good and unique the first 3 Potter scores really are . . . :)

P.S.: Nothing against Doyle, you understand, it's just that JW is no match for anybody. :mrgreen:

GOF by Doyle.

Batman Begins...I'm very curious about this. I suspect the theme will be composed by JNH, since he wrote the music in the latest trailer.

Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Gresson Williams...this guy is the light of Media Ventures.

The Corpse Bride...well, I'm hoping typical Elfmanesque music. As for Charlie and The Chocolat Factory, I'm expecting too much wackyness.

I will be looking forward to hearing the score for Batman Begins. Do you think they will reuse Danny Elfman's themes? I hope so. His theme for Batman is great. I know that they are reusing John Williams's score for Superman in 2006.

I don't think so, Malcom. As far as I've heard, they want to make this batman film as much a departure as possible from the previous films, so I don't think they will use such a strong link to the other films as the Elfman theme.

Looking forward to both of these equally:

Goblet of Fire - I love Doyle's work, I think he'll do fine. Can't wait to hear his take on it. It'll be different from JW, and I'll miss him greatly on it, but Doyle has a rich symphonic style and a wide range emotionally.

Batman Begins - Waiting curiously for this, as are many. Interesting. collaboration.

With not one, but two of such stature, it's gonna be something. (Who knows what exactly though.) Zimmer kind of throws a kink in things.

In JNH's past work, I hear elements that would be cool in Batman Begins. I think (hope) his stamp will be the more evident. Especially with the dark, earthy, dramatic nature of this Batman.

Zimmer has 3 other films scheduled for 2005 besides Batman, James Newton Howard has 1 other. Zimmer likes to crank 'em out, collaborating makes that easier. Letting JNH do some main composing would make sense for Zimmer.

Also looking forward to King Kong with Shore. I don't know WHAT to think about Willy Wonka yet, looks pretty wacked out, may produce a neat score though.

I'm really looking forward to GoF (though of course Williams will be missed).

Batman Begins has potential. I love JNH, and Zimmer is...okay.

I don't know what to think about Willy Wonka. It looks freaky, but Elfman's output is typically strong so we'll see.

Shore has not impressed me much so far, so I'm not excited about King Kong.

I've heard about Harry GW doing Narnia, which could be incredible given some of his recent output. I'd love to hear him do fantasy like this.

Ray Barnsbury

Anything by Danny Elfman will instantly get my attention, so Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Corpse Bride look promising.

Batman Begins? I'm not really into James Newton Howard much, and anything by Hans Zimmer lately is an instant throwaway for me.

I'll certainly miss John Williams on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but I'll give Patrick Doyle a chance unless the soundtrack features song crap like it's rumored to be.

I'm a huge fan of Max Steiner's score to the 1933 King Kong, and I find John Barry's score to the 1976 remake is more emotional and unsettling, so I'm rather optimistic about Howard Shore's take on Peter Jackson's new film.

One film with comic/sci fi potential is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is being scored by Joby Talbot. Who the heck is Joby Talbot?

• 2 weeks later...

On the Batman Begins soundtrack

'ExtremeBatmanfan' says that Green Day will have songs on the Batman Begins soundtrack:

Today on television I saw Billie Joe Armstrong (Lead Singer and Lead Guitarist of Green Day) being interviewed and when asked what the band had coming up he said their song Boulevard Of Broken Dreams is going to be the theme song to Batman Begins, and they are going to record two new songs for the soundtrack.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmanne...ews.php?id=2492

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, those are terrible, awful, depressing news....I wonder what these stdio executives have been smoking. What happened to simple good taste.

Good taste goes right out the window when the thought of selling CDs with "real" ( :roll: ) music on them instead of just score. First GoF, now Batman Begins. Die, evil rumors, die! :remybussi:

Yeah, what's the big deal? Let's not judge before we've seen the films. There's too much rumors and assumptions flying around about bands and scores these days. Look at Prince, he did a number of songs and even had a seperate soundtrack album for the first Batman, and still Danny Elfman wrote one of his best scores ever, a score that works wonders in the film.

- Marc

1 - Green Day's American Idiot album is fantastic.

2 - That quote never said for a second that Billy Joe Armstrong was being asked to write score for the film, only that the song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (one of their recent singles, and perfect for Batman, btw) is going to be used in the film, as well as 2 new songs.

So... where's the problem? Did you guys complain about U2 being on the end credits of Batman Forever as well?

1 - Green Day's American Idiot album is fantastic.  

2 - That quote never said for a second that Billy Joe Armstrong was being asked to write score for the film, only that the song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (one of their recent singles, and perfect for Batman, btw) is going to be used in the film, as well as 2 new songs.  

So... where's the problem? Did you guys complain about U2 being on the end credits of Batman Forever as well?

Well, a lot of rock bands have good songs, but that doesn't mean they fit any movie.

IMO, for films that aren't either pointless (i.e. You Got Served) or comedy, most of the time only score works. I haven't heard "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," but I for one was looking forward to hearing JNH in this score, not so much Zimmer, and I think that sometimes when songs are used in films, the score is minimalized on CD. Look at the Ladder 49 soundtrack, a great score by William Ross and only one track of it. Tons of unreleased music. Hopefully, in this case the score will be honored just as much or more than the songs in terms of what is released. This exact reason is what I am worried about with GOF, too. That and the utter horror of any songs in a Harry Potter film.

I don't think this board was around in 1995. :remybussi:

~Sturgis

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - This book was a childhood favourite, as was the original Willy Wonka movie, though it wasn't as faithful as I would have liked. I've recently become a big Elfman fan too.

The Corpse Bride - Another musical from Elfman/Burton! I hope Elfman voices the lead again.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - John's lack of involvement didn't affect my affection for Jo's books. I should hope not; I was a fan of the books prior to Williams.

Composer for Serenity - Whoever it is (hopefully Beck), should do a good job with great stimulus.

If they want to go songs on Batman Begins, then make a song CD, and give us a separate score release. Many rock songs are included in comic book type movies, if they can do a score release for Spiderman 2, The Aviator, etc, then I hope it would happen in that case.

Goblet of Fire for that matter too (though I somehow think they a separate score CD would be less likely there :))

It seems there have been more separate score releases happening lately, which is just how it should be, some studios do recognize that the original composed score is very important to the fans, and sells big $$$.

It's the smartest thing they could do marketing wise, cover all the bases. You can get a lot of people for not one CD, but TWO, and it's often the only way to pick up fans like us. :P

Greta

Well, a lot of rock bands have good songs, but that doesn't mean they fit any movie.

Of course, goes without saying.

I for one was looking forward to hearing JNH in this score, not so much Zimmer, and I think that sometimes when songs are used in films, the score is minimalized on CD.  

You won't get any argument from me. I really dont think either Potter or Batman is going to be short-changed on the CD release though. I don't mind songs in films... The thing that bugs me is soundtrack releases that have virtually nothing to do with the film - Like Wild Wild West, where only two of the tracks on the album had anything remotely to do with the film.

I don't think this board was around in 1995. :)  

Well, yeah, there's always that. :P

The thing that bugs me is soundtrack releases that have virtually nothing to do with the film - Like Wild Wild West, where only two of the tracks on the album had anything remotely to do with the film.

I agree.

I don't think this board was around in 1995. :P  

Well, yeah, there's always that. :ola:

I meant because that's when Batman Forever came out, so no one could have complained about it here. :)

~Sturgis